• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Avon store has always had terrible customer service, but I`ve always enjoyed Gander Mountain in general. Nothing, and no one, in my opinion, ever came close to Galyans. Man, I loved that place. Spent a ton of money there too. But I`ll likely go to Gander, just to check out what they have left and look at prices. If I see something I want or need, I`ll maybe get it. If I feel it`s still too much money, I`ll pass. Just as I`ve always done.

Galyans. Man I do miss them as well.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I worked at Galyans in the late 80s and early 90s ((an AWESOME job to have in high school and college) and it was a fantastic locally owned chain. We had great department heads at each store who really cared about our customers and we hired guys who lived to hunt, fish, camp, etc. It wasn't just a job...it was fun going to work and helping folks buy the that we all used on our days off.

Galyans also had two REALLY good buyers for hunting and fishing gear. They were given total control ofer what and when they ordered stuff and knew the Indiana market very well. That's why those stores always had good selection. Hunting/fishing/shooting gear was priced well with low margins as management believed in volume and return customers. They also made most of the profit from clothing and other gear.

Things went downhill fast when Pat Galyan sold the company to Dicks and it became corporate run.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I worked at Galyans in the late 80s and early 90s ((an AWESOME job to have in high school and college) and it was a fantastic locally owned chain. We had great department heads at each store who really cared about our customers and we hired guys who lived to hunt, fish, camp, etc. It wasn't just a job...it was fun going to work and helping folks buy the that we all used on our days off.

Galyans also had two REALLY good buyers for hunting and fishing gear. They were given total control ofer what and when they ordered stuff and knew the Indiana market very well. That's why those stores always had good selection. Hunting/fishing/shooting gear was priced well with low margins as management believed in volume and return customers. They also made most of the profit from clothing and other gear.

Things went downhill fast when Pat Galyan sold the company to Dicks and it became corporate run.

Dick`s is completely useless.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    N IN
    If I start to miss them, I will just go to my local gun store and ask them to be more surly and allow me to pay over retail.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I stopped into the Castleton store this afternoon and left empty handed as usual.

As others have said, no price breaks on guns or ammo. They had a few accessories for 10% off, but not much.

I took a look at the clothes but there wasn't anything I couldn't live without.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Thankful Trump is in charge... Imagine Hillary admin getting access to Gander's 4473 files.

All those 4473's will go to the National Tracing Center.

When an FFL discontinues business, the FFL must send their firearms transactions records to the National Tracing Center (NTC). The NTC receives an average of 1.2 million out-of-business records per month and is the only repository for these records within the United States.

Records can be mailed to the NTC or, alternatively, they may be delivered to your local ATF Office in order to comply with laws for surrendering records (which include all bound log books/acquisition & disposition books and computer printouts, ATF Form 4473’s, Theft/Loss Reports, Multiple Sales Reports, and Brady forms).

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    10% Off and Everything must Go! And they mean it.

Do they still have the "Help Wanted" sign up front?

Vespasianus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Columbus
    Overpriced Brick&Mortar is facing pressure in every industry. Rents too steep, labor too expensive. There's gonna be a lot of retail-space real estate investors facing even steeper losses than normal come the next recession when their demands for high rent force even more closures.

Eh, the Fed will likely bail 'em out, so the only losers are the stores and their employees. "Only" :-(

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Overpriced Brick&Mortar is facing pressure in every industry. Rents too steep, labor too expensive. There's gonna be a lot of retail-space real estate investors facing even steeper losses than normal come the next recession when their demands for high rent force even more closures.

Eh, the Fed will likely bail 'em out, so the only losers are the stores and their employees. "Only" :-(

If you`re right, then, if, you realize that we are government, I`d say we`re losers as well...

Top Bottom