• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Just checked their website. If those gun prices hold, they will do just fine. There are PLENTY of LGS around here that don't have Glocks at MAP, and Gander does as of now.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Are not they owned or bought out by Camping World? Is not this the ceo who said gun owners are not welcomed in his store and to shop elsewhere?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Are not they owned or bought out by Camping World? Is not this the ceo who said gun owners are not welcomed in his store and to shop elsewhere?

If the CEO were that sincere in his convictions, his stores wouldn't stock guns, right? Not sure, but I think he just said that Trump supporters weren't welcome. So as long as you don't support Trump, he'll be happy to sell you all the guns you want.

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Their CEO has no convictions. Now that he is in the the gun business, it wouldn't surprise me if his PR folks have him speak some kind words about gun ownership.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    This NEEDS to be spread IF true??

" Is not this the ceo who said gun owners are not welcomed in his store and to shop elsewhere"
    ^^^

I am NOT good enough on these computers, but IF, and ONLY IF --This is true, it should be spread all over the internet like Wild Fire...

mhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got an email today from Gander Outdoors announcing the grand opening of their Castleton store this weekend (Feb 10 & 11). Spend $25 on Saturday and get a free hat. Spend that much on Sunday and get a free 5-gallon bucket.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I remember when Gander Mountain was just a mail-order catalog from Wilmot, WI. And when Cabela's only had two stores (Sidney and Kearney).

What happened to them? Venture Capital.

In the case of Cabela's it let them scale a solid business. And they managed their costs relatively well and kept the business on solid ground.

Gander, on the other hand, was owned and operated by a group that seemingly knew nothing about outdoorsmen or the gun business. They thought marketing was the key to selling $500 Glocks for $650. And indeed, they managed to cash in for awhile on the ignorant.

But eventually, you can't sustain a large store on inflated prices that push down volumes.

I'd look at guns at Gander, but I'd never buy one because the pricing was essentially a personal insult. 200 years ago, pricing like that would have caused a homer simpson-like demand for satisfaction and then pistols at dawn. It's an affront to dignity.

Here's hoping the new owners of Gander recalibrate their model to reflect reality.

[video=youtube_share;HmvSgvy7a34]https://youtu.be/HmvSgvy7a34[/video]

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I went to the new Gander Outdoors yesterday out of pure curiosity and it was interesting. Ammunition prices were not too bad and the selection of .22lr was plentiful and at decent prices. One thing you immediately notice are the signs, placards , and brochures promoting that you join their buyers club. There were signs all over merchandise displays touting member prices lower than mere mortals prices. Notwithstanding the barrage of these signs and brochures, every single employee I came across was pushing and I mean pushing you to join the members club. I observed they made desperate used car salesmen in bold plaid jackets sound like amateurs trying to push sales! Firearms prices were all over the place and, of course, the sales person showing me a couple of guns incessantly kept pushing the price based on joining the club “right now” for an instant member’s discount price. It never ended with the membership being pushed. IMHO they need to work out a few quirks. Peace.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I went to the store on Tuesday earlier this week just to look around at the changes and to check prices of 308 ammo. After being in the firearms section for all of two minutes I was approached by a gentleman who gave me the whole layout of the store, the changes that have happened, and more. I can say he mentioned their rewards program no more than 3 times over a 30-40 minute conversation, so he wasn't too pushy and was just trying to get me to keep looking around to see if anything peaked my interest. I made it over to the ammo section and the 308 prices were better than most places around which shocked me because I thought Cabela's would have them beat. He made the experience enjoyable, not pushy, just sparking convo and trying to answer any questions to the best of his ability without reaching.

On the flip side, after that gentle left me to browse I was asked by multiple other employees if I was finding everything okay then they would let me be. Shortly after that I was greeted by an employee who was very pushy, when asked my handgun preference mocked me. I figured well lets just see how this goes since he knocked my summer carry choice. He asked if I'd be interested in trading it in towards a new handgun, I told him no multiple times. We walk over to the handgun case, he proceeds to pull out the most expensive handgun in the case which was everything I said I didn't want in a carry gun if I were to trade it in which I'm not. Goes on and on about their selection, the pricing beating out Cabela's, that they will price match, etc. If it wasn't for this sales employee being so pushy I'd consider that trip a success, even though I did end up leaving with ammo and some other little things.

I am curious to see how their membership will stack up since you can get up to something like 4-10% all purchases. If they do the price match, and discount for their members it could end up being an okay investment, especially on bigger purchases.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Camping world (parent company) also has a buyers club type thing so this is no surprise to me. What business owner doesn't want some of your money for zero product that is renewed annually? Im sure the perks pay for themselves at some point, but jeez....I like to get something for my money on every purchase.

There's places I can have lots more fun throwing money away......pt's I'm looking at you here :)

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Well, itÂ’s official... the new Gander Outdoors blows!

I was optimistic that in resurrecting Gander Mountain theyÂ’d take the good things about the previous store and work on its failures. These idiots did exactly the opposite! I visited the Castleton location yesterday and have never been so disappointed. ItÂ’s like a cross between Rural King, Sams Club and a flea market.

The display cases were more like what you would see at a flea market - not even lighted. The tile wasn’t clean and shiny like you’d expect with a ‘new’ store. Even the walls behind the firearms section were not fully finished. Additional, the most infuriating thing was everything I looked at I was flanked by one or more salespeople trying to get me to join their stupid ‘club’. Whole place to me exuded this ‘cheap’ warehouse vibe.

Ammo selection was decent, however the entire firearms section seemed significantly paired down. Accessories were ridiculously priced. A holster I was looking at there was $50. Cabelas had the exact same one for $29. A pack of reusable earplugs was $10. Walmart has the exact same pack for $3.99.

I ended up at Cabelas and consider this my first last an only trip to this waste of retail space.

Gander Mountain would have been far better to let the brand and image die than selling it to the nutball libtard. Even with the high prices of the old store, I much better enjoyed the shopping experience there than this new remixed version.... Epic fail :(

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Camping world (parent company) also has a buyers club type thing so this is no surprise to me. What business owner doesn't want some of your money for zero product that is renewed annually? Im sure the perks pay for themselves at some point, but jeez....I like to get something for my money on every purchase.

There's places I can have lots more fun throwing money away......pt's I'm looking at you here :)

I could use a post range cool down session. Make it rain and help some girls get thru school...

Top Bottom