• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Rifle rounds are better, but subguns are smaller. For a get home gun, to me, it’s all about discretion. The smaller and quieter the better. Subgun all the way.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have an 8.25" 300blk sbr that will fold to 15"oal and fits in my backpack.
    I have 2 mags of 220gr subs and 2 mags of Barnes black tips in the backpack along with a Silencerco Omega to suppress it.
    My EDC is a CZ P-07 with a threaded barrel.
    I also carry 5 mags of 147gr HSTs in the backpack and 1 in the CZ. Also, there is an Obsidian 9 in the backpack to suppress the CZ if I need to.

I'm pretty sure that I can get home, if things go south suddenly.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You dudes are serious about getting home!

In a true SHTF situation would bad/neutral guys kill you for your weapons?

Might a rusty S&W model 10 or a beat up shotgun be better?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If the overall length of the 9mm PCC and AR in 5.56 are the same length, why wouldn't you choose the rifle round?

Because it doesn't perform like a "rifle round" in pistol-length barrels 10" and less. And then one has to get all fiddly picking expanding ammo that works at the lower velocities/shorter barrel lengths, figure out your effective range with the shorter barrel, deal with the muzzle flash/blast, etc. It seems to me like a fairly special purpose setup with the pistol-length barrel.

With a more conventional setup, there's a lot of existing performance data I can leverage without reinventing the wheel myself.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I’d go 5.56 pistol with brace and flip
    up iron sights

reasoning: the 5.56 out of a shorter barrel is still dead nuts at 100-150 yards. The iron sights are not going to degrade like batteries sitting in a car or trunk, etc.

9mm carbine or setup is a good choice if you need to take the rap on into work or under a desk.. it is almost inside of backpack sized and can be hidden in a day bag.

so;

stay in trunk or car I would go AR pistol.

Stay in bag with you, go 9mm compact carbine Glock Roni etc

best: get both one in your pack pack to share mags with sidearm, and AR in trunk.

yous situation of daily life would for me dictate which came first.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You dudes are serious about getting home!

In a true SHTF situation would bad/neutral guys kill you for your weapons?

Might a rusty S&W model 10 or a beat up shotgun be better?

If you are worried about bandits killing people for their gear, then anyone carrying a gun openly is going to be a target. I doubt most bad guys are really astute enough to take the time to evaluate whether they'd rather have VUPD's Scorpion or CamerMonkey's PCC AR with Glock mags.

They'll just see you as someone with something they want to take. This isn't like flashing a wad of cash in a bad part of town. If they are going to attack someone who is openly carrying a weapon, they are already deadset on hurting you. Gucci Glock with a Trijicon or a High Point, they are trying to take it.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Because it doesn't perform like a "rifle round" in pistol-length barrels 10" and less. And then one has to get all fiddly picking expanding ammo that works at the lower velocities/shorter barrel lengths, figure out your effective range with the shorter barrel, deal with the muzzle flash/blast, etc. It seems to me like a fairly special purpose setup with the pistol-length barrel.

With a more conventional setup, there's a lot of existing performance data I can leverage without reinventing the wheel myself.

Thats why mine is an 11.5 AR with folding pistol brace. I would agree that anything under 10 inch can start to cause problems.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I would say a AR9 style gun, personally. I recently built one with a collapsed OAL of 22in that would fit nice in almost any backpack without having to fiddle with anything. The issue with a small 5.56 gun is that after a certain barrel length you start losing the force it carries out of it. 300blk though, would be a good small AR in a rifle caliber from what I've heard, considering it keeps it's force at longer ranges from shorter barrels.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    My current backpack setup is a k model MP5 clone (PTR 9kt) with a folding SB Tactical brace and 4 30 round mags in a Vertx backpack with a Safelife Defense armor panel.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    556 with a can. Get home and beyond.

20200324145253.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Already have a 9mm on the hip, plus 50 rounds. I'd like my "long gun" to be rifle caliber, hide-able and quickly deploy-able.

300 BLK is a great way to go, but what if you get tied up along the way and run out of ammo? 5.56 will be everywhere.

As far as bullet performance/velocity, at what range does 5.56 quit becoming effective out of a 10.5" barrel?

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    300 BO SBR and my edc handgun for me. Rifle rounds are better, period. I don't see the purpose of a PCC except cheap range fun. For the same size penalty you can have real distance and power. To each their own though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    300 BO SBR and my edc handgun for me. Rifle rounds are better, period. I don't see the purpose of a PCC except cheap range fun. For the same size penalty you can have real distance and power. To each their own though.

Respectfully disagree. Yes a rifle is better at distance. But there is something to be said for the long range accuracy of a shouldered weapon vs pistol regardless of caliber. As I said upthread, I can reliably hold an 8" group at 150yds with a 9mm PCC . Cant do that with my G19. And for me, the tradeoff of one set of mags/ammo for a situation where traveling light is key. Instead of carrying 90 rounds of 9mm in interchangeable mags I'd have to carry 180 total and if one runs dry I cant steal from the other to feed it. Plus I can't see where I would need to shoot even THAT far in this situation. Long term defensive situation where I might need to reach out and touch some well equipped (body armor?) bad guy at >150? Absolutely your idea is better. I wouldnt trade my AR15 for my AR9 when I needed a long term battle/Mad Max solution and wasnt concerned with transport efficiency. But for now in the just in remote case, a "good enough" hyper efficient package works well for me.

Its all a bunch of trade-offs really. If you want to lug more of a different ammo, mags, etc. More power to you. You are more dedicated than I am. (not sarcastic if it comes off that way)

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I keep thinking too hard. For me getting home comes down to hiding. I'm an old man with a cane. If it goes all armageddon on me, I may be travelling with an 11.5 AR. In pressent scenario, the .454 in a shoulder rig keeps me grey. The AR can stay in the trunk with 14 mags in a 5.11 shoulder bag. My main mission goal is to avoid contact.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg

While I don't fully disagree, it is a trade off like the post above me mentioned. You could have interchangeable mags and not have to worry about being forced to swap to one if you run low. 300blk is probably the best option if you want to still be able to reach out, as it carries higher force at distance, compared to 5.56, out of a shorter barrel. But that's if you want a rifle round.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If you can get a rifle caliber in the same package size, always opt for a rifle cartridge.

A 10.5" AR15 is an incredibly handy rifle and still will deliver rifle like performance up to 100 yards.
    If you need it to fit somewhere tighter, separate the upper and lower and throw it in a bag.

It's a far more capable package than anything you'll do with a handgun cartridge. If you're going with a handgun cartridge, just go with a handgun.

Now if you're actually willing to do a tax stamp and get a B&T APC9K, then I might understand you wanting to go with 9mm for such a purpose, otherwise no.

The iron sights are not going to degrade like batteries sitting in a car or trunk, etc.

Any quality red dot on the market will manage at least 5 years left on. It's a non-issue.
    If it's off, or shake awake, it'll last as long as the batteries remain stable, which is over 10 years with lithium batteries.

Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    If after this virus shutdown is over and I end up taking a job where I may have to travel out of state on occasion (one of the possibilities I am working on since the airline I worked for went belly up almost right away and cut everyone loose), I have a dedicated get home package.

Good get home bag with boots and the necessities of course, then a KelTec Sub2k folded up and Glock 17 make a perfect pair. They fit nicely in an old laptop bag for transport, can carry a lot of ammo in standard and extended 33 round magazines common to both and fit a good grey man profile for me.

Top Bottom