• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    For God's sake don't let him cut on you before the anesthetic is working.
    My doc did not and I about came off of the table. Not from the incision but when he got a hold of the vas deferens and pulled. It still haunts my wife when she thinks of it (she was there with me of course).

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    My husband has his scheduled in June. He was told basically to take a weekend off and stay in bed with ice packs and compression shorts/jock strap. After a certain number of...uses...he can get the results tested to see if he's shooting blanks yet. I plan on watching the dr clip him...should be interesting.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    The nurses were having quite the little gigglefest after swabbing my dangly bits with iodine that felt like it was stored in dry ice......I felt a little like George Costanza...."I was in the pool"...

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Years ago I took a late lunch on a Friday and had no problem going back to work on Monday. As others have said, follow Docs orders and you'll be fine.

Funny side note, I was only about 25 when I had mine done. The doctor suggested I see a shrink beforehand. I told him "look, my insurance doesn't cover this procedure or a shrink. I'm not paying someone to tell me or you something I already know!"

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I did mine the old fashioned way: Just lay your junk on an anvil and whack 'er real good with a ball peen.

The pain is short-lived, 'cause ya pass out... :laugh:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/313023-its-vasectomy-time.html

i have to say, the worst part was when they had you bring a sample back. With a long line at the desk. And then ask over everyone what it is you need as you hold a brown bag.

Even better. My crappy insurance locks me into mid america labs for all lab work. Anywhere else and they either flat out dont cover the test, or only part.

Mid America only test at the main lab, and there are no customer facilites there. So I had to take my paper sack to the courier window and drop it off like a creeper. They were a bit surprised when I handed them my script with the bag. Apparently they dont do many of them. :):

I would tell the whole story, but its long... long story short when I called to find out which labs do the test I was told "just drop it off at any of our labs and we will courier it to the main lab to be tested overnight." Hoosierdoc is probably :facepalm: right now because your sample has to be tested within 90 minutes.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Welcome to the Sunkist club (soon enough). All the juice but no seeds.. Yup I had to say it... Had one several years ago.. Go for more than local anesthesia. More tense =more pain. Go with the advice of ice and rest for a day or two.. Combined advice will get you thru. I just remember the dr sayin the needle stick will feel like a bee sting.. I asked him if he ever was stung there. He said no, I was in no position to argue. Good luck. You will be fine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Listen to your doc. No matter how good you think you feel that first 48, DO NOT ignore his orders. 24 hours after mine I was feeling awesome and decided to pick up my 5yo. MISTAKE!

Rest and take your meds religiously and you will experience minimal pain. Its a cake walk. I was off meds by the third day and stepped down to ibuprofen.

This... definitely listen to the doc.

My Dr has a lady who is his assistant during the procedure....in a somewhat twisted kind of way, that was sorta cool. I mean how often can a married man get fondled by a young chick and your wife not care. I told the young lady had I known she was assisting....I would have brought her a box of chocolates.

Similar experience. Was interesting to say the least.

To the OP, you will want to discuss with the Dr what method, etc he uses. I originally was scheduled on one date and spoke to the Dr that would be doing the procedure on that date and he went over his method, which at the time was a more modern procedure with only one entry point, etc if I recall correctly. Doc also said he would provide additional anesthesia besides local. I then had to reschedule and ended up with a different Dr. I assumed this doc would do things the same way... turns out he did things differently. He would only do Local anesthesia and 2 incisions, etc... I think the recovery was probably significantly different than it would have been with the first Dr's method.

Anyway, point is discuss with the Dr how they do it and make sure you are comfortable with things before hand.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I'm gonna repeat some things others have already said. Take that as statistical proof:
    1) Take off as long as the Dr. says, do NOT go back to work 1 day early cause you THINK you can. You can't
    2) Take any meds they offer and/or Ibuprofen and frozen veggie packs. It does Help.

Anecdotal tie-ins:

-My Dr was called away for an emergency. His replacement was a female Dr., who was training a female med student and who was assisted by a female nurse. The 3 of them laughed and chatted w/ my wife ( was corralling our 3 yrs old and 3 month old) all during this procedure.

-To clip the TUBES (vas deferens) my Dr told the Med student to use forceps and pull them out of the incision. She said I may feel a slight tug. I DID - IN MY CHEST. I swear that's where it FELT like they were attached.

-Last bit. A coworker made the mistake of letting his crew know the WHEN & WHERE for his procedure. The office was in his 1st due territory and on his shift day. Of course the crew showed up, that's the kind of guys they are. They expected to tease him and ask to observe. The Dr. said "If the PT has no problem with it, neither did he." My buddy is a team player so he said SURE, Stay. It turns out the Dr. let one guy do the SNIP SNIP part.

Good luck to you sir.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Lots of folks are recommending the frozen peas, but CVS sells something analogous to them that forms to your body better.
    Get at least two or three of those and keep the one you're not using/melting in the freezer until the one on your sack melts, then switch.
    Also, recommend getting a jock to keep thing from getting shaken up when you get up to go to the bathroom.
    You shouldn't do much for two days or so, then it'll start feeling better.
    As for the procedure itself, I had it done while wide awake; just the local anesthesia.
    They told me that it would feel like a bee sting when they applied the anesthetic to each of the vas deferens (tubes leading to the nuggets), and it did, but it wasn't intolerable.
    After that, there really wasn't any pain, and I just kept my mind off of knowing that my entire unit was out there getting dissected by my doctor while a lady nurse assisted.
    The one thing that was unpleasant was the smell when they cauterized each vas to ensure they couldn't grow back together, but even that didn't hurt at all, only a mental thing realizing why it smelled that way.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Two things that you should know before.
    1. Your Urologist will say it will not hurt.
    2. All Urologists are lying sons o' *****es.......

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    1. Get all the movies you want to see. Ensure you have fresh batteries in your remote control.
    2. get all the magazines you want to read or re-read.
    3. Get 3 or more bags of frozen peas for rotation.
    4. Get pain medications.
    5. Whatever post-op directions the doctor gives you, FOLLOW them.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Doctor: "you are going to feel a little prick" as he administers the local anesthesia.
    Patient: "so are you"

Shamelessly stolen from the Bob and Tom show...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was awake and semi reclined for mine. They tape your crank to your belly to keep it out of the way and the slits are less than 3/8ths long. They pull what looks like a little piece of pasta out with a little hook and crimp little clamps on, cut it and cauterize the ends. Really a simple proceedure. I wore briefs for a few days instead of boxers. I did not climb ladders or anything for a few days, but really had no problems. I did my normal errands and duties. A little tender, but not too bad. The fear and worry was worse than the actual experience.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    No one has told you the best part. After you are declared free of swimmers, The wife will become really ***ny . I was told this was because I was no longer a threat, and I could be used for her fun now.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Best thing I ever did.

When i I went in for the procedure, the doc made a few jokes about the size of my package. My wife assured me he was wrong. There was some discomfort, but when he tugged on the vas, it felt like a midget was using my sack as a speed bag. Just about jumped off the table. Drove myself home from the procedure.

Spent the next 2 days with frozen peas on my junk. Seriously, don't do anything for a couple days. Just take it easy.

Oh, and I was back "on the job" in about 3 days. :naughty:

Top Bottom