• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Leaving a gun in a glove box is negligent and irresponsible. Don't do it. It's not a legitimate place for a gun to be stored, so there's no reason to talk about what kind of gun to buy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I struggle with the idea of a ‘glove box gun’. Sure, I get that it would be nice to have a gun stashed in my vehicle for the rare occasion that I don’t have one on my hip, but leaving it in the vehicle is just something I cannot bring myself to do.

If someone carries regularly, then what is the use of a glove box gun? I don’t understand the use case for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don’t understand the use case for it.

It's a great way for someone who's not willing to actually carry a gun to think they are prepared. It's so much more comfortable to have a gun uselessly "carried" off body.

In their mind? They'll see trouble coming and have time to retrieve it and put it into play.

In reality? They catch rounds reaching for it or they just give the carjacker an extra gun. Sometimes both.

Sometimes you get the bonus of surprising a cop when you open the glove box for your registration and are now reaching for a gun.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Should there be a center console gun thread also or will glove box guns also work ok in a center console? Will a truck gun also work in a car? This is all so confusing.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I carry a 10mm micro carbine in my trunk but it comes inside when I get home, and put back in when I leave for the day. It's nice to have something that reaches out to 100 yards easily.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    With all the guns that get stolen out of vehicles the last thing I'm going to do is leave a gun in a vehicle when I'm not in it.

Good thing your work place allows you to carry it on you, and the local school doesn't mind you walking around with it on at a meeting about your child, the post office loves people carrying firearms in there. It's only a federal crime.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Good thing your work place allows you to carry it on you, and the local school doesn't mind you walking around with it on at a meeting about your child, the post office loves people carrying firearms in there. It's only a federal crime.

1. It does.

2. We homeschool.

3. I haven't had to step inside a post office in at least 15 years. We have a mailbox for a reason, and the post office has drive-thru boxes. Anything I buy gets shipped to my house.

But feel free... Leave a gun in your car. If and when it's stolen, be sure to start a thread here.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The age old argument is whether to take the risk leaving a gun in the car vs not having a gun at all.

Aren't most guns that are stolen out of cars done so because it was somehow telegraphed in some way that there might be one in there?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would like to have a firearm on me or at arm's reach 24/7, but that isn't always practical. I sometimes go to a local school to drop off recycling materials. I go to the post office to check our box three times a week. I go see the grandchildren's school games or plays.

Sometimes you just have to leave it at home. Keep in mind the firearm is only a tool but not our only tool. There are other things we can do to protect ourselves and the ones with us. Do what works for you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This thread seems less about locking your carry gun when entering a restricted location than about a good gun to just keep in a vehicle full time. All of us that carry regularly will occasionally need to secure a gun in a vehicle to run into the post office or something. It's the idea of keeping a gun in a vehicle that I struggle with.

If its secured from theft, then it's also eliminated from use, so why store it there in the first place?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I keep an M&P Compact 2.0 9mm with a TLR-1 and a spare mag in the center console of my SUV as a backup to the P365 I'm usually carrying on my person. I can imagine how it may be more accessible to me while driving than the pistol that I have on me. My vehicle is garaged at night, so this pistol is fine staying in the center console.

When traveling, it goes in the hotel room with me overnight. If it gets stolen while I'm in the store buying groceries, I'll report the theft and buy another one. I don't have any stupid stickers/decals on my vehicle that broadcast the fact that there may be a gun in the car, and I always lock my vehicle.

I find the notion that it's somehow the victim's fault if property is stolen during a vehicle break-in to be very odd.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I find the notion that saying one should take reasonable precautions to avoid theft of one's property is akin to victim blaming to be very odd.

When you leave home in the morning, do you close and lock your front door?

Would you leave a stack of bills on your dashboard when you exit the car?

It's common knowledge that a lot of people store guns in their cars. I read about them being stolen on a somewhat regular basis. We've seen a lot of threads on this very topic right here on INGO over the years.

I guess some people just can't learn from the mistakes of others.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Let's preface this by saying I'm up way too late yet again...

Wondering what you lot would consider the ultimate "glovebox gun.". Different than the usual truck gun category, as it limits options primarily to handguns.

I don't have a go-to option at this point, as I'd prefer a dedicated gun to primarily reside in the vehicle. My P-01 is a bit more spendy than I prefer to have sitting in a vehicle, and does see time in my CCW rotation. My most logical choice from the collection would be my Bulgarian Mak, but sentimental reasons prohibit it....

A LEO trade in Glock/M&P are probably the smart answers, especially with the abundance of .40 S&Ws coming through at significant price reductions, but was wondering if you had any oddball/ outside the box suggestions. Adding a .40 would also add another caliber to my collection. Not necessarily a bad thing, just another thing to consider.

A S&W or Ruger LEO trade-in wheelgun was also a thought.

I'll end by stating I had a S&W 910 that was probably a perfect candidate... But I traded that towards a Spanish Mauser in 8mm....

You must have a big glovebox if you can get your 3 or 4 o’clock in there.

Owners manual and KF C spork kits are the only thing you will find in mine.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I find the notion that saying one should take reasonable precautions to avoid theft of one's property is akin to victim blaming to be very odd.

When you leave home in the morning, do you close and lock your front door?

Would you leave a stack of bills on your dashboard when you exit the car?

It's common knowledge that a lot of people store guns in their cars. I read about them being stolen on a somewhat regular basis. We've seen a lot of threads on this very topic right here on INGO over the years.

I guess some people just can't learn from the mistakes of others.

I guess the lock on the front door of my house absolutely keeps people from stealing the guns in my house, but the locks on the doors of my vehicle are useless. It's common knowledge that guns are never stolen in home burglaries. :rolleyes:

I tried really hard to see how a stack of bills on my dashboard and a pistol in the console were exactly the same, but I'm not flexible enough to get my head that far up my ass.

I can't wait to hear how short skirts lead to rape. Never learned that in school, but my teachers were actually certified as...you know...teachers. :):

Top Bottom