• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The car is locked until it is not (like when the actuator goes out). That is the main risk for me. Most thieves look for unlocked cars, they are not breaking windows unless they see something of value. If something is in the glovebox they have no idea, unless you have tons of threepers and moana labia stickers on your car.

If folks know how stupid easy it is to get into a car with out breaking a window. And it is.

But yes, there usually has to be a visual incentive to take the risk.

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program................. I keep a Beretta 92fs with two 18 rd mags at the ready in my console. I would rather risk theft than death

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No so sure on that. Mine is very well hidden and is only a worse/last case scenario. having stuff stolen is just a risk anyone takes owning a car in general.

How do you get to your "very well hidden" gun fast enough to matter? If I'm at your window carjacking you, what good does it do you?

Criminals tend to attack in "transition" areas, such as at the door when you're half way in or out. Can you reach it before I shoot you? Can you get to it at all if I grab you and start stabbing you? Or will you be another victim laying in the driveway/parking lot? People imagine the first but usually end up the second. Get yourself a blue gun and a buddy and pressure test it. You'll lose.

Off body carry sucks and gets people shot as they reach for it. I am sure of it because I've worked their cases.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If folks know how stupid easy it is to get into a car with out breaking a window. And it is.

But yes, there usually has to be a visual incentive to take the risk.

Often there doesnt have to be anything to cue them in. They are out every night. EVERY night. Because every AM I see a note in Nextdoor, Ring, FB, etc that someone's car was broken into/rummaged through, etc. I've been one of them. They would be happy with a handful of change from your cupholder... And absolutely over the moon with that truck gun. Thats hitting the jackpot.

How do you get to your "very well hidden" gun fast enough to matter? If I'm at your window carjacking you, what good does it do you?

Criminals tend to attack in "transition" areas, such as at the door when you're half way in or out. Can you reach it before I shoot you? Can you get to it at all if I grab you and start stabbing you? Or will you be another victim laying in the driveway/parking lot? People imagine the first but usually end up the second. Get yourself a blue gun and a buddy and pressure test it. You'll lose.

Off body carry sucks and gets people shot as they reach for it. I am sure of it because I've worked their cases.

Stop it! We dont need none of that reality here. :):

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

What good does any gun do you if the carjacker is already at the window? You can't beat a drawn gun, regardless of where you draw it from. I guess both on-body and off-body carry sucks. Try to draw a pistol from an on-body holster against a drawn gun. You'll also lose.

I've never had a vehicle broken into in over 30 years of owning one. What's that tacticool saying everyone likes..."Two is one" or something like that? Yeah, I'll keep my console gun right where it's at. Carjacking is not the only scenario where one may need a pistol in a vehicle.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    For driving I made my own version of this Alien Gear mount which places the pistol just in front of the seat on the transmission tunnel. Mine is setup to use the clip of my IWB holster rather than a paddle holster.

https://aliengearholsters.com/cloak-dock-holster-mount.html

For times when I have to leave the pistol in the vehicle I mounted this out of sight but within my reach from the drivers seat. Its not coming out until I move it to another vehicle.

https://www.titanvault.com/

Nothing is in the glove box or center console. Everything is out of sight.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I don't car carry, but, what about a big stainless Para Ordnace P16?

Jump out with the pimp gun and let fly with 7 rounds and then scream, "S**T! I'M OUT!"

Then when they pop their heads back out you still have 9 rounds left before reload.

Oh well, back to my fantasy football...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For me it is the gun I will carry to the car and if I go anywhere before/after work. Can't carry at work. So basically my carry gun that lives in the glove box while at work.
    Usually a glock 43 in the summer and a glock 23 in the winter.

Pretty sure your work lot isn't considered a "high crime area". ;)

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The draw is so fast from the glove box (hopefully the video came through)

LFWm4Bn.mp4

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's amazing the gyrations people will go through instead of simply carrying a gun on their person.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It's amazing the gyrations people will go through instead of simply carrying a gun on their person.

I don't see one post advocating carrying a gun in your car in lieu of carrying one on your person. You realize it's possible to do both, right?

Nothing stays in the glove compartment. A Hi Point ??????!!!!!!! LMFAO. By all means if we're going to get a gun stolen let's make it a cheap one.

I am genuinely surprised at the number of INGO'ers who must regularly have their cars broken into. Seems like the number is exceeded only by people who think that going as cheap as possible is appropriate for critical defensive tools. I can see the obituary now. "His pistol malfunctioned when he needed it, but hey, he saved $200."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What good does any gun do you if the carjacker is already at the window? You can't beat a drawn gun, regardless of where you draw it from.

BS. Not only can you, even untrained people succeed more often than they fail at it. Attention is a finite resource and people who feign compliance, wait for an opportunity, then act quickly and present a functioning firearm win almost every time, especially if it's a one on one encounter. People who do the same for off body carry catch bullets. It's much harder to feign as you reach for off body carry, it's too easy to get separated from your gun, etc.

When people lose is drawing on a drawn gun with no attempt at disguising the draw or feigning compliance until the bad guy is satisfied they aren't a threat. They do it too early in the encounter when the bad guy's attention is still on them and watching for indications of resistance.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    My Uncle lived just about downtown Rockford, IL. Visited him in October one year and his truck had been broken into 3 times that year. The last time they got a .22 rifle. Why would you leave a gun in your vehicle when you know it will be broken into? He finally moved long after he should have been gone.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    BS. Not only can you, even untrained people succeed more often than they fail at it. Attention is a finite resource and people who feign compliance, wait for an opportunity, then act quickly and present a functioning firearm win almost every time, especially if it's a one on one encounter. People who do the same for off body carry catch bullets. It's much harder to feign as you reach for off body carry, it's too easy to get separated from your gun, etc.

When people lose is drawing on a drawn gun with no attempt at disguising the draw or feigning compliance until the bad guy is satisfied they aren't a threat. They do it too early in the encounter when the bad guy's attention is still on them and watching for indications of resistance.

Maybe if I repeat it a third time...there is no reason that one cannot have a console/glove box gun and still carry one on body. I'd like to see the link to your statistics regarding off body carry in active carjacking situations. I'm betting they don't exist. The multiple of anecdote is not data. And "drawn gun" implies that the attacker is actually paying attention to you and not admiring the chirping birds in the trees while he's doing the carjacking.

The gun in the console is not for deployment against immediate threats where the attacker has got the drop on you. It's perfect for when you see something going down and have time to arm yourself with the console gun, giving you a weapon in hand and one still on body. Two is one, right?

Or can you not imagine any scenario other than the one you've hand picked to agree with your preconceived notions?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My Uncle lived just about downtown Rockford, IL. Visited him in October one year and his truck had been broken into 3 times that year. The last time they got a .22 rifle. Why would you leave a gun in your vehicle when you know it will be broken into? He finally moved long after he should have been gone.

Well, this is exactly why I don't have a vehicle gun. If I did, it wouldn't be an expensive one, but I'm just paranoid that way, and I live in a small town where a lot of people don't even lock doors a lot of the time. Besides I do have a gun in the vehicle almost all the time... right there in my holster...

Top Bottom