• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I keep an M&P Compact 2.0 9mm with a TLR-1 and a spare mag in the center console of my SUV as a backup to the P365 I'm usually carrying on my person. I can imagine how it may be more accessible to me while driving than the pistol that I have on me. My vehicle is garaged at night, so this pistol is fine staying in the center console.

When traveling, it goes in the hotel room with me overnight. If it gets stolen while I'm in the store buying groceries, I'll report the theft and buy another one. I don't have any stupid stickers/decals on my vehicle that broadcast the fact that there may be a gun in the car, and I always lock my vehicle.

I find the notion that it's somehow the victim's fault if property is stolen during a vehicle break-in to be very odd.

This is kinda where I am too. :dunno:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I find the notion that saying one should take reasonable precautions to avoid theft of one's property is akin to victim blaming to be very odd.

When you leave home in the morning, do you close and lock your front door?

Would you leave a stack of bills on your dashboard when you exit the car?

It's common knowledge that a lot of people store guns in their cars. I read about them being stolen on a somewhat regular basis. We've seen a lot of threads on this very topic right here on INGO over the years.

I guess some people just can't learn from the mistakes of others.

If you steal a nickel out of the console of of my unlocked truck, or smash out my window and steal my wallet, you're still a thief. Justify it any way you want, but a thief is still a thief.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    To expound on this a little further, I had a pistol stolen out of my truck last year. I can't have a pistol on me while I'm working, so every morning, I carry a holstered pistol to the truck with me. Thanks to Indiana passing a law that allows me to keep a weapon in my vehicle, I don't have to be completely unarmed on my drive to the hood. I can't carry it on me, but I can leave it in my truck, LEGALLY. It's a step in the right direction.

Last year, it got stolen while I stopped at a gas station. I ****ed up, and felt terrible about it. I didn't lock my truck when I went inside. I sleep ok at night, and if need be, I'll tell St Peter how I screwed up on this, at the Pearly Gates. I didn't violate any of the Ten Commandments, by not locking my truck, but somebody did by stealing my ****.

Having a gun on your person is always preferable to having one in your truck, but don't compare it to being a thief. One is wrong, the other isn't very wise. Know the difference, unless you are in Connecticut, then it's the same.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Well this thread certainly blew up in my face. Thanks to those that actually gave their preferred options.

For some additional context, I have to pass through security every day coming and going from work (working in the industry), and was looking for a constructive conversation. My wording may not have been the greatest- any option would be stored in a vehicle safe. No, it's not the ideal circumstance, on-body carry is always preferred; however even deep concealment isn't an option when I have to pass through metal detectors on the way in and on the way out of the building.

I fully acknowledge that that even that won't satisfy most of you lot, so thank you to the few that gave constructive feedback besides that anyone who keeps a firearm in their car is a blithering moron. I figure if anyone decides that a mid '00s budget hatchback is worth breaking into is going to break in regardless. Scumbags will be scumbags.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well this thread certainly blew up in my face. Thanks to those that actually gave their preferred options.

For some additional context, I have to pass through security every day coming and going from work (working in the industry), and was looking for a constructive conversation. My wording may not have been the greatest- any option would be stored in a vehicle safe. No, it's not the ideal circumstance, on-body carry is always preferred; however even deep concealment isn't an option when I have to pass through metal detectors on the way in and on the way out of the building.

I fully acknowledge that that even that won't satisfy most of you lot, so thank you to the few that gave constructive feedback besides that anyone who keeps a firearm in their car is a blithering moron. I figure if anyone decides that a mid '00s budget hatchback is worth breaking into is going to break in regardless. Scumbags will be scumbags.

The car doesn't matter as much to a thief as the contents.

A gun locked in a box inside the car is different than a gun tossed in a glovebox... you probably should have lead with that. And if you're planning on taking it inside at night, that changes thing too.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I use a Yugo M70 32acp as my car gun. Cost me just under 200 but no recoil and good defense for inside a car. I do plan on finding a way better way to hide in the car than the center console, maybe modifiy the under dash panel for a quick access compartment.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The car is locked until it is not (like when the actuator goes out). That is the main risk for me. Most thieves look for unlocked cars, they are not breaking windows unless they see something of value. If something is in the glovebox they have no idea, unless you have tons of threepers and moana labia stickers on your car.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thieves don't often risk exposure breaking into random vehicles. They, for the most part, have some indication that there will be a return worth the risk.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    For me it is the gun I will carry to the car and if I go anywhere before/after work. Can't carry at work. So basically my carry gun that lives in the glove box while at work.
    Usually a glock 43 in the summer and a glock 23 in the winter.

Top Bottom