• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While not buying into the glovebox gun idea, I would say that if I needed a cheap, reliable, effective handgun, it would be a police trade in Glock 27. I picked an early Gen 3 up last year for $249. It looks like it was carried every day since delivery but with a fresh set of springs, it’s been rock solid reliable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe if I repeat it a third time...there is no reason that one cannot have a console/glove box gun and still carry one on body. I'd like to see the link to your statistics regarding off body carry in active carjacking situations. I'm betting they don't exist. The multiple of anecdote is not data. And "drawn gun" implies that the attacker is actually paying attention to you and not admiring the chirping birds in the trees while he's doing the carjacking.

The gun in the console is not for deployment against immediate threats where the attacker has got the drop on you. It's perfect for when you see something going down and have time to arm yourself with the console gun, giving you a weapon in hand and one still on body. Two is one, right?

Or can you not imagine any scenario other than the one you've hand picked to agree with your preconceived notions?

I guess folks can decide for themselves which is closer to data, tracking of factors that contributed to wins and losses in real world incidents from years of actual case files (aka 'anecdotes') or imagination.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Leaving a gun in a glove box is negligent and irresponsible. Don't do it. It's not a legitimate place for a gun to be stored, so there's no reason to talk about what kind of gun to buy.
    I disagree. For example, if you have a commuter car that is parked in monitored parking during the day and garaged at night, I see no problem if the firearm is completely hidden, and you had the good sense not to plaster your vehicle with “gun guy” advertising stickers.

Why would someone break into a car with no obvious valuables or indications of such? Or when the car itself is older and high mileage?

Maybe I’ve seen too much on highway craziness and YT videos, but it seems to me that a vehicle might be a good place to have ready access to defensive tools, and drawing from concealment while seated is very difficult to do. Far better to have the firearm invisible when the car is parked, but handy when you are operating it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I guess folks can decide for themselves which is closer to data, tracking of factors that contributed to wins and losses in real world incidents from years of actual case files (aka 'anecdotes') or imagination.

I'm unaware of any data collection by any LE agency that includes factors like "why did he win/lose," since there are several factors that figure into each unique defensive encounter. The presence of an additional firearm in your vehicle is never the determining factor. The timing/tactics of when and where to deploy/not deploy is the critical factor here.

Folks can decide whether an additional available weapon is beneficial or not, with or without phantom "data."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe if I repeat it a third time...there is no reason that one cannot have a console/glove box gun and still carry one on body. I'd like to see the link to your statistics regarding off body carry in active carjacking situations. I'm betting they don't exist. The multiple of anecdote is not data. And "drawn gun" implies that the attacker is actually paying attention to you and not admiring the chirping birds in the trees while he's doing the carjacking.

The gun in the console is not for deployment against immediate threats where the attacker has got the drop on you. It's perfect for when you see something going down and have time to arm yourself with the console gun, giving you a weapon in hand and one still on body. Two is one, right?

Or can you not imagine any scenario other than the one you've hand picked to agree with your preconceived notions?

I'm unaware of any data collection by any LE agency that includes factors like "why did he win/lose," since there are several factors that figure into each unique defensive encounter. The presence of an additional firearm in your vehicle is never the determining factor. The timing/tactics of when and where to deploy/not deploy is the critical factor here.

Folks can decide whether an additional available weapon is beneficial or not, with or without phantom "data."

Dude. Do you not know what BBI does for a living? He's the one that collects said data firsthand as a robbery and homicide detective. (in the big city, no less) He sees firsthand what does and doesn't work as an investigator studying this stuff.

Nothing phantom about this data.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    If you have to unarm and leave your gun in your vehicle on a semi regular basis get a dedicated, lockable vehicle safe and put it in. Seems pretty simple.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Dude. Do you not know what BBI does for a living? He's the one that collects said data firsthand as a robbery and homicide detective. (in the big city, no less) He sees firsthand what does and doesn't work as an investigator studying this stuff.

So, where is this raw data available for review and consideration? Can someone post a link?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you have to unarm and leave your gun in your vehicle on a semi regular basis get a dedicated, lockable vehicle safe and put it in. Seems pretty simple.

This.

On top of that, be discrete vs advertising your "come steal me." Always assume you are being watched, because you cannot know when you might be.

Don't gun up or gun down in your drive, at the curb or in the parking lot. Needless to say (?), cover your gun and anything that looks gun related or valuable coming in and out of the vehicle.

And shut your pie hole about guns to coworkers, neighbors, friends, family and everyone, if you are gonna ever leave any of them anywhere separate from you. Loose lips sink ships...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

You'll never see a link to this "data," because all it consists of is anecdotes gathered over the course of one's regular job. It's not his job to collect this kind of data, it's his job to investigate crimes. Been there, done that, dude. And in a big city, no less. I've seen a .22 LR work like the Hammer of Thor, and I've seen .45 ACP fail to stop. What is that "data" worth?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Per usual on INGO, there is more than one point being batted around, and I personally like that as a stimulant for reasoning what I might do or not do.

To say that off-body carry in a vehicle will cause me to get shot, since that has happened to a certain number of people is to suggest that driving my car will cause me to get a speeding ticket, since that also happens to a certain number of people. It's possible to do both activities while also not contributing to the probability of either unfortunate outcome. Edit: Thinking more about that, I do have to say BBI's comment is well-taken. We learn more from people who know things that we don't and even if it doesn't keep me from sometimes carrying off-body, it's an important thing that I'd always consider to be a valuable consideration.

I can't carry my gun at all on work-days, so the only time I carry is during my off-time. And, if I know that I'm going somewhere that would require me to leave my gun in the vehicle unattended for anything more than a quick in-and-out someplace, I will most likely not take my gun, because I don't want to have it stolen. The only time that I always carry is when I'm trail-walking or when I go camping (which I do regularly), in which case the gun is always on my person, although on some occasions it may be unloaded deep in a backpack. I've never subscribed to the notion that I might as well carry a brick as to have an unloaded gun in my pack (but I understand why some do).

One thing that I really don't understand is why a person would leave any valuable thing in a vehicle over night, unless the vehicle was in a garage (my garage hasn't had room for a car in years, but I probably wouldn't do that even if it did). I don't carry a gun while working, but I do carry a laptop and sometimes some expensive equipment in my vehicle, and it all gets brought in the house at night. And, victim-blaming aside, I would consider myself a fool for leaving any of my valuables, including a gun in my vehicle in the driveway at night.

And, to answer the OP's original question, my car-gun is my carry gun, a 9mm Shield, although when I started carrying, it was a stainless Rossi M88 .38 revolver (that has the sweetest trigger of any pistol that I have).

Last edited:

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Any one of these would work. I prefer the lower left.

20180115_111548_39978568521_o-XL.jpg

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Putting the "if you should" discussion off to the side...

When I wanted a car gun, I picked up a 3913 for the job. Reliable, easy to shoot, no wood, and every little internal part is stainless steel. No worries about rust, corrosion, or moisture.

I have yet to put in the car, I haven't found a secure place for it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Putting the "if you should" discussion off to the side...

When I wanted a car gun, I picked up a 3913 for the job. Reliable, easy to shoot, no wood, and every little internal part is stainless steel. No worries about rust, corrosion, or moisture.

I have yet to put in the car, I haven't found a secure place for it.

A secure place would be nice. That's too nice of a gun to lose.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I'm late to this party(as usual) but I used to carry a rifle or 3 in the window rack of my pick-up...
    At high school no less.
    Times change...
    Some poor sap just asked about a "glove box gun" and got all this...poor devil.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom