• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I was taught to put a dab of grease in the slide grooves of the pistol to prevent wear, facilitate racking/actuation and extend life (I thought that lubrication was basic moving parts wear prevention...)

I was talking with one of my friends who came over while I was cleaning my carry gun. I stopped by a range after work and put about 50 rounds through it. So I finish with the cleaning and put in a little grease into my slide grooves. He told me that putting grease in the grooves was the most dumbest thing he had ever heard. I pointed out that the sentence he just said was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. He then proceeded to say that he never greased a firearm. Oil while cleaning yes, but never greased the slide or anything. Yes, I am fishing for confirmation that I am right, because he got very offensive and then defensive about it. But this is the way I have always done it without issue.

Sidenote: If you do use grease.. What do you use? If you don't.. Why the heck not?

I thought this was common sense, please tell me he is unique and just needs a little educating.:dunno:

This was several hours ago, and he just left, didn't want to post it up with him here. Let him cool off first...

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    my P22 doesn't run well in cold weather without some hi-temp bearing grease keeping it moving. grease stays put, unlike oil. they both have their applications, though. slide rails? why not grease them? if you shoot the tar out of your guns and clean them whenever, use what works. period. most of the high dollar "gun oils" you buy off the shelf are just overpriced, repackaged automotive lubricants anyway..... just my .02. grease isn't stupid. it's grease.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I was taught to put a dab of grease in the slide grooves of the pistol to prevent wear, facilitate racking/actuation and extend life (I thought that lubrication was basic moving parts wear prevention...)

I was talking with one of my friends who came over while I was cleaning my carry gun. I stopped by a range after work and put about 50 rounds through it. So I finish with the cleaning and put in a little grease into my slide grooves. He told me that putting grease in the grooves was the most dumbest thing he had ever heard. I pointed out that the sentence he just said was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. He then proceeded to say that he never greased a firearm. Oil while cleaning yes, but never greased the slide or anything. Yes, I am fishing for confirmation that I am right, because he got very offensive and then defensive about it. But this is the way I have always done it without issue.

Sidenote: If you do use grease.. What do you use? If you don't.. Why the heck not?

I thought this was common sense, please tell me he is unique and just needs a little educating.:dunno:

This was several hours ago, and he just left, didn't want to post it up with him here. Let him cool off first...
    IMO
    Grease is too thick and viscous to be used as a lubricant for firearms.
    Any good gun oil will do a fine job of lubricating and protecting the gun from rust.
    Grease is OK for long term storage (As in Cosmoline) but used as a lube it will hold onto crud, and unburned powder, and "gum up the works". :)

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    See... I lliterally put the smallest dab into the grooves where the slide rests, rack it several times, and then if excess squeezes out, I have too much. This is on my metal frames if I have failed to mention that. So my CZs, 1911, get a dab. I have never had it gunk up the works, even with a 250+ range day.

Cat, I use bearing grease as well. I just take the time to pack it into syringes for application purposes.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I use a light dab of Tetra on my 1911s, and while it does get a little dirty, its never gummed up the works. I used to use automotive grease (lucas red and tacky) but gave TetraGun a try, and could feel a noticeable difference in how the slide racks and the gun functions. If its a polymer pistol I use CLP.

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    I used to run my gun's pretty dry. Part of that came from being in the military and deploying to sandy areas. However I noticed some pretty rough wear on the slide rails on the frame of my Sig 229. Shiny silver as described in link below. I sent it of to SIG and they said it was okay but since then I've gone to grease on my guns, and run them pretty wet. Especially if I'm looking at heaving shooting. For carry a bit dryer but I still use grease. I use MilCom and Tetra...
    Lubrication of Sig Sauer pistol rails : Grayguns by Bruce Gray
    Guide to Sig Sauer pistol inspection : Grayguns by Bruce Gray

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    It would be interesting to do a comparison between two new pistols, using identical ammo, round count,etc.,(a well controlled test), one using a grease to lube the slide, and one using the standard gun oil.
    Just a guess, but I'd bet, if there were any difference, it would only be perceptible after tens of thousands of rounds.
    Anybody have a link to some tests like this?......I'd bet some have been done.:popcorn:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    For quite a few years I have used ProGold grease on my Gold Cups that have had the slide fitted to the frame. I started using Slide Glide on my Ed Brown Executive Target which has a very tight slide/frame fit. The action is so smooth with grease compared to oil. I do use Neil Keller's Kellube (oil) on some internal parts, but only grease on sliding parts.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I use Brian Enos's Slide Glide also. His recommendation is to be very liberal in its application unless it's a carry gun. If it's a carry gun, then use as little as possible. I like to run my guns on the wet side and have had no issues with them that way. I could see where grease could attract dirt which could cause wear if allowed to build up over time, but that's why we clean them regularly. I could also see where it would be a dumb idea to use grease in a sandy environment, but we are not subject to sand storms in Indiana (yet?).

What did your friend say was dumb about using grease? Most things in life are better with adequate lubrication. I even spray the bottom of my Jeep with a mix of MEK and gear oil before each winter. That might be dumb, but grease on the rails of a pistol? I think it's Ok.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Unless you are one of the soldiers fighting in the sandbox, clean and greased is good on 1911's Browning Highpowers, metal framed Smiths, etc. It has been since 1911. lubriplate lithinum grease or something like Rigg slide grease is fine. only takes a little bit, any excess will squirt out the back of the frame rails. If it worked for 75-100 years, why re-invent the wheel now?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I use Rigg on the slides of mine. A light coating works great and keeps all moving parts running smoothly. I've also found that cleaning is easier by using Rigg.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Running a dab of grease in the little Keltec slide rails has been the recommended SOP from the very beginning of the brand.

Top Bottom