• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    After experimenting with many things for lubrication and talking with avid shooters I use synthetic motor oil on all my guns including my AR. I don't use grease anymore. I do clean my firearms after each use and give my hunting firearms a thorough deep cleaning at seasons end. Sometimes Remoil is good for the quick lube.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I haven't read through all of the posts here but for a couple of pages, personally I wouldn't use grease. With oil if I were to pick up some grit I would hope that it could be expelled during use, with grease experience on other things shows that it is a magnet for grit and will become a wonderful slurry for grinding things down. I typically look back to my military experience too, where we never used grease that I recall, and in some cases were advised to run fairly dry because of dust contamination.

Semi autos are over 100 years old, if grease was a good thing to use don't you think somebody would have already thought of it and we'd all be using it without question????

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    That might work, if your car was made out of plastic too. (grin)

If plastic is as strong and as durable as everyone thinks, maybe they should install some plastic axles and pistons in their cars.

I don't follow the logic in this comparison. I don't necessarily agree or disagree ... I just don't follow/see what you are trying to say. :dunno:

So is arrogance. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I have to agree with this one. A blanket assessment usually comes across pretty arrogant and rarely wins anyone over to your viewpoint. Assuming that everyone who uses grease is doing so because of laziness falls into that category. Before making a blanket assessment, we should all remember that "we don't know what we don't know." There might be reasons to use grease over oil that go beyond the lubrication properties of either.

Last edited:

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    grease, depending on one's definition, will typically "stay put", vs. oil which "runs". while both have pros and cons, i prefer oil because it is (in my opinion) easier to remove excess. as Lancem commented, the excess of either is all the more that will attract lint, dust, dirt, and what have you.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm sorry but I have to agree with this one. A blanket assessment usually comes across pretty arrogant and rarely wins anyone over to your viewpoint. Assuming that everyone who uses grease is doing so because of laziness falls into that category. Before making a blanket assessment, we should all remember that "we don't know what we don't know." There might be reasons to use grease over oil that go beyond the lubrication properties of either.

So I'm not lazy and ignorant for using Tetra?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    By definition, grease inhibits movement. It is NOT an ideal lubricant. For those who are not lazy, and will do so regularly, an oil lubricant is a much better choice for a slide than is any grease. If you are lazy, and must resort to grease, NEVER use it on a gun with less than 200 rounds through it. Slide Glide (and similar) products can be used without issue on guns that have been "broken in" completely. Again, while they can be used without issue, they are not optimal.

I think the above post is under the impression that someone that uses grease seldom cleans their guns thus the "lazy" remark.:rolleyes:

As for not using grease until after 200 rds, Brian Enos's Slide Guide Lite is sold as a "break-in" lubricant for new semi-autos as well as any gun out there. I know many semi-auto (pistols and rifles) owners that swear by the stuff.

My semi-auto M1A insists (in the manual and from owners) that you use grease instead of oil on the slides, op rod and bolt rollers.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Today is the first day I've been on since the night I posted that and WOW! I thank you all for the great amounts of feedback. Obviously this is one of the positions where there is a semblance of "to each there own," and while I do see the merits of running oil, and dry in conditions that have airborne particulate, I will probably stick to my light greasing the slides on my metal frames. I have discovered a plethora of recommended lubes, and have written many of them down. I will probably be conducting experiments over the next couple months... Perhaps even with a followup!

Mark in GA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I use a dab of montana extreme on the rails of all of my semi-auto's. A local gunsmith told me to do this many years ago and I have stayed with it. He's been a smith for over 40 years, so I assume he knows of what he speaks.

Mark in GA

level Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Adams County
    On my 1911 and Sigs I use TW25B, XDs just oil.
    The new sig i bought a few years ago came with a small tube of TW25B in the case. I liked the stuff so much I now use it on every gun (yes even rifles, my 1187 seems to love it by the smoothness of the way it cycles) BUT not in every location. Sometimes oil is to thin. Sometimes grease is to thick. For Gods sake just keep it lubricated!

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    The new sig i bought a few years ago came with a small tube of TW25B in the case. I liked the stuff so much I now use it on every gun (yes even rifles, my 1187 seems to love it by the smoothness of the way it cycles) BUT not in every location. Sometimes oil is to thin. Sometimes grease is to thick. For Gods sake just keep it lubricated!
    This! My Sig 1911-22 came with the TW25B, Good stuff!!

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I still use CLP but one of my favorites is STP oil treatment ,it doesnt run ,not too thick,never evaporates like most other 'gun' oils. For storage i apply on all surfaces, never to worry about rust [for years] ,i found its the only 'oil' I can use for no worries. When dirt sticking might be a problem in the field on internal/slide parts I use 'Gunszilla'dry lube,Its used much in the military sandboxes with nothing but praise.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I have used Hoppe's #9 followed by RIG for 50 years on all my firearms, inside and out, except for the bore (no grease there). Anything the last dry patch doesn't get out burns out with the first round. This continues to work for me from Alaska's cold to the jungles of S. America and S.E. Asia. Most of my guns look close to new, and if RIG ever "impeded function" I couldn't see it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I put just a little gun oil on the head of a flat toothpick then run it in the slide grooves of my Glocks. Then I use a couple clean toothpicks and get as much as I can out. A micro-coat of oil is all the metal needs. This way it is lubed and doesn't have enough gunk in it to dirty up too fast.

Top Bottom