• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Learned a lot. Good thread! I use a dab of grease on slides, oil pretty much everywhere else. I wanna check out some of the brands of oil you guys use. My grease I use is random surplus grease in the tiny cylindrical plastic containers with yellow caps fwiw. I need to get better about lubing stuff. Very anal about cleaning, but lubing, especially ARs, isn't probably "proper". I lube stuff a lot (liberally) generally because I don't shoot stuff that often.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    I go by the rule if its shiny oil it... but I know a few ar guys that run grease in there AR's too that run alot of rounds thru em.. With no problems I guess its up to you what you feel works. plus or minus here or there what works in certain spots.. It all comes from experience. cold weather, sand, moisture etc. experiment take advise and try it..

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    I use the stuff in The syringe that Tom Merideth makes. It's a big plus as he's one an IN resident

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would think grease, being thicker...would hold more soot and powder deposits, as well as more crap from the environment (dirt, sand). I know my S&W manual calls for oiling the 4 points on the slide each cleaning.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    The following from Louder Than Words is very relevant to this discussion. Weapons lube is situationally dependent! I Normally run Light Tetra on rails and Light CLP (probably good for most of CONUS and never had any cold weather issues), though in dusty places LIGHTEST possible lube, CLP then wipe it all down till almost not there!

"The following narrative and photos are what got me moving in this direction with weapons finishes in the first place...a few years ago I was cleaning my weapons next to a teammate just after being extracted from a hot mission. We were picked up by UH-60's and CH-47's. We were blasted by moon dust as the helos pulled pitch to land on us.

My SIG P226 was dusty when we got back to base but still cycled ( I used the thinest amount of XF-7 that you could apply for lube). My buddy removed the magazine from his P228, and muscled the slide back to clear the chamber. He dropped the takedown lever and said, "Take a look at this!".

Here's what I saw,

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

There is no magazine in the weapon. The slide is being held back by "moon dust" friction.

My P226 looked like this when I field stripped it,

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

This is what his looked like when he got it apart,

DSC00537.jpg

Again, I barely applied XF-7 to the barrel, barrel hood, and a tiny bit on the rails. My buddy used a light coat of oil (as we usually used) inside his weapon. The difference is huge. My gun wasn't clean, but it worked. His did not. Sometimes when it comes to lube in combat environments, less is more. It depends on where you're fighting."

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I for one, use a thin layer of white grease on the the slide rails of my autos, not so much that it "globs" up, just enough to provide a little lube. My feelings are, that any wear points need lubricant and oil is not thick enough to stay put.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    I use standard white lithium grease. I apply 2 small dots with a fine point paint brush and never have any issues with build up or failure with my glocks. I also have switched all of BCG in my AR's to nickel boron coated and I can't even compare in words. All I can say is 500rds on a range trip and cleaned with a rag almost zero residue and no carbon build up. You have to try it to understand the difference I feel it is cutting edge technology.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxSvV5GHNU

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I use a light dab of Tetra on my 1911s, and while it does get a little dirty, its never gummed up the works. I used to use automotive grease (lucas red and tacky) but gave TetraGun a try, and could feel a noticeable difference in how the slide racks and the gun functions. If its a polymer pistol I use CLP.
    I had the same experience with the Tetra, I could feel the difference even after I tried to wipe it all off.. IMHO if it's a carry gun it doesn't get cold so type of lube isn't a issue and the grease is less likely to run somewhere you don't want it. If I left it out in freezing weather I would use tetra lube oil.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I just started using Weapon Shield and so far I love it. Easy to apply and it doesn't seem to attract a lot of dirt and residue. The cool applicator is great to use and I'm sold on it. I use it everywhere I would normally lube, including the slide.

See this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gear/168920-free_sample_of_weapon_shield.html It also has a link to the website.

The owner was giving away free samples in the applicator tube. Sent him an email and had it 2 days later. Getting ready to order some pretty soon.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Somebody necroposted...

But I must say I have found that small amounts of grease are the only way to go for the slide rails if you're talking about a carry or home defense gun. I've not had it "gum up" the works when shooting even after weeks of carry, and I also believe you can feel the improvement from oil to tetra grease on my Walther PPS.

Not to mention that oil spreads out everywhere when it just sits there, let alone when carrying - and forget about after shooting a mag or two. I am in college now, so there are plenty of times where I don't need to put on my gun for a few days (dumb rules, but still rules). Every time I used gun oil it would be spread out everywhere on my gun and on the foam lining of my lock box, even after multiple wipe-downs over several days. I only follow Walther's lubrication recommendations and nothing more, so I shouldn't be over-oiling at all.

I'm personally more worried about oil in my primers than about grease "gumming up" the action in a SD situation. If you clean your gun once a week as you should, grease should never be a problem anyway.

I'm no ME, but isn't there a rule that you oil spinning parts and grease sliding parts?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I'm no ME, but isn't there a rule that you oil spinning parts and grease sliding parts?
    As a general rule, yes. Under extreme pressure and tight fit machine rails use a thin film of oil. Rails with less pressure and looser fit use grease. Very high RPM bearings use an air/oil mist or a very thick grease like Exxon Andok that will not spin out. Standard RPM bearings use oil or grease depensing on location.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom