• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I have used G-96 silicone lube, and a teflon impregnated lube, and both work great in my experience. I bought a Taurus PT-22 that the slide would drag slightly on causing FTE, and once i hit it with the silicone spray, i never had that problem again. I know my grandfather used a grease/oil mix he made himself that worked quite well.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I use a little Tetra where the moving parts meet. I notice that after a day at the range the areas where I put the grease are dirty but by no means gummy. I've never had a problem with my method so I'll keep doing it like that.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Lubriplate 130A took very good care of the M1 Garand, and the M-14's. I bought a 5 pound can of it in the mid 1970's, and it's done very well by any metal-to-metal movement. One pound cans cost about $7, (through Fastenal or other industrial suppliers) and will last you for many years.

LUBRIPLATE 130-A MIL. SPEC. GREASE - Brownells

Whatever works for ya....

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I was taught to clean off that factory grease, first thing before firing a new gun. I've always done just that while wondering why they grease em up just for me to wipe them clean. Think I'll give it a try.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I blend (about 1:1) Militec grease and dry lube (oil) into a buttery goo. Anything hinged or pinned gets straight Militec dry lube (oil). Anything that slides surface to surface (example: slide and frame rails) gets the goo.

I have been testing a new product and am getting ready to make the switch from Militec. I blend (1:1) and use it the same as the Militec. It's called Slipstream Weapon Lube. I'm very pleased so far.

As to your original question, don't get bent out of shape. Do what you do and let him do what he does.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    By definition, grease inhibits movement. It is NOT an ideal lubricant. For those who are not lazy, and will do so regularly, an oil lubricant is a much better choice for a slide than is any grease. If you are lazy, and must resort to grease, NEVER use it on a gun with less than 200 rounds through it. Slide Glide (and similar) products can be used without issue on guns that have been "broken in" completely. Again, while they can be used without issue, they are not optimal.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Count me in for greasing the slide rails. I use some red stuff I bought five years ago. Just a couple of dabs on the grooves, then rack it a few times.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    By definition, grease inhibits movement. It is NOT an ideal lubricant. For those who are not lazy, and will do so regularly, an oil lubricant is a much better choice for a slide than is any grease. If you are lazy, and must resort to grease, NEVER use it on a gun with less than 200 rounds through it. Slide Glide (and similar) products can be used without issue on guns that have been "broken in" completely. Again, while they can be used without issue, they are not optimal.

I have used grease on plenty of new firearms without issue.

No laziness here, I clean and lube my firearms at the end of every shooting session.

I guess you better get rid of the grease in your u joints, ball joints, and tie rod ends in your vehicle and replace with oil since it's not an ideal lubricant.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

No laziness here, I clean and lube my firearms at the end of every shooting session.

I guess you better get rid of the grease in your u joints, ball joints, and tie rod ends in your vehicle and replace with oil since it's not an ideal lubricant.

That might work, if your car was made out of plastic too. (grin)

If plastic is as strong and as durable as everyone thinks, maybe they should install some plastic axles and pistons in their cars.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I never gave it a thought that proper gun care and maintenance was considered being lazy. I guess I'll have to rethink my strategy. ;)

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils

Different application. Grease is made for a specific purpose.

Contact your gun manufacturer, and/or the maker of the grease product you are using, and ask for guidance. Ignorance is common on this topic. It doesn't change anything.

Top Bottom