• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The forward thinking hoarder/gouger would be buying gas right now.
    Gas prices are tumbling, and reduced demand from people not going places will accelerate it. Buying gas right now as speculation is a good way to lose a bunch of money.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Yes im from Maryland, we have had a few hurricanes in and around Maryland in my 61 years.
    What I will say is, I learned to prepared during the Clinton Administration and have kept up over the years, and im a business owner at that. Im a firm believer in Capitalism and all it entails but myself. I never would take advantage of someone because of an crisis or emergency.
    Its just not me, I interject things here to see what is said.
    raising prices isn’t taking advantage. It’s protecting inventory against middle men. When you have a lower price that the market rate, you will have a shortage as speculators clear you out. You can try limits per customer but they don’t work because people bring their kids and friends and come multiple times and your back to being cleaned out.

Pricing at the market rate is the one and only way to treat people fairly. If a retailer is wrong about the market price, they lose out to cheaper competitors.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Look if you really have a problem with it CTD is in Texas and supposedly Texas has a price gouging law that is in effect during a state of emergency.

I’m not doing anything with that info, but some of you “there aught to be a law”-ers can
    I was gonna say the same thing. Report them to the state’s Attorney General, after they laugh you out of their office, come back and post about it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Gas prices are tumbling, and reduced demand from people not going places will accelerate it. Buying gas right now as speculation is a good way to lose a bunch of money.

Only in the short term. Buy low, sell high. To think that oil and gas prices will be like this in even 6 months is....optimistic, to be kind.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I find it interesting about the different feelings that are posted here when flippers sell in the classifieds.....

And I have no doubt that if most of those beefing about CTD had the ammo, they wouldn't be selling it at the market price of last fall. How many have either said or wished they could buy ammo to sell when prices go up? Quite a few. Folks in the prepper forum talk about ammo as money and barter with ammo, think those guys should value it at last fall values? Going to blackball all those guys too?

In fact if all the sources that don't raise prices get cleared out by speculators and hoarders those of you not properly stocked will buy fro CTD, so why bash them. They just have a different business model than you why bash a gun supply retailer is my question? In in the end it is just whining that they have what the complainers want...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And I have no doubt that if most of those beefing about CTD had the ammo, they wouldn't be selling it at the market price of last fall. How many have either said or wished they could buy ammo to sell when prices go up? Quite a few. Folks in the prepper forum talk about ammo as money and barter with ammo, think those guys should value it at last fall values? Going to blackball all those guys too?

In fact if all the sources that don't raise prices get cleared out by speculators and hoarders those of you not properly stocked will buy fro CTD, so why bash them. They just have a different business model than you why bash a gun supply retailer is my question? In in the end it is just whining that they have what the complainers want...

Edit: I have never done business with CTD and may never have been of their site before this. This is economics! It's not personal, it's business. If SHTF these economic principles will be in force and only in small circles can you even hope for "friendly" terms. This is at minimum this is all good practice to get your mind wrapped around how economics will act as things decline on the way to SHTF.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I was gonna say the same thing. Report them to the state’s Attorney General, after they laugh you out of their office, come back and post about it.
    But, there’s a law! And laws stop criminals!!!

Again, if you want to mew about it, Texas has laws against “price gouging” during a state of emergency, either local or federal; try it if you want. I can definitely understand both sides, why you think it hurts consumers, and why it can help them out.

if there was a panic buy on baby formula (there is BTW) and you had small children, would you rather pay an inflated $50/can from a vendor and have a safe, available product, or would you rather find an online seller, meet up in a strange location toting a large amount of cash and still pay that $50/can, now what if you’re a single mother? Raising prices curbs secondary sellers.

https://youtu.be/ymMzJAdIAes

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But, there’s a law! And laws stop criminals!!!

Again, if you want to mew about it, Texas has laws against “price gouging” during a state of emergency, either local or federal; try it if you want. I can definitely understand both sides, why you think it hurts consumers, and why it can help them out.

if there was a panic buy on baby formula (there is BTW) and you had small children, would you rather pay an inflated $50/can from a vendor and have a safe, available product, or would you rather find an online seller, meet up in a strange location toting a large amount of cash and still pay that $50/can, now what if you’re a single mother? Raising prices curbs secondary sellers.

https://youtu.be/ymMzJAdIAes

Best analogy yet!

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I personally wouldn't raise prices during an emergency but "gougers" perform a very VERY valuable service. Toilet paper - none on the shelf. Specifically because the price is too low. If stores simply doubled, tripled or even quadrupled the price, people that actually needed toilet paper, would at least be able to get it. CTD may be the only people left with ammo on the shelf in two weeks for people that are legitimately in fear of their safety.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I gotta get some more trash cans first.

Every one of these threads has its stages:
    1. Look at XXXX - they raised their prices!
    2. I hate them!
    3. Why? They're just doing what economies are suppose to do.
    4. Rabble, rabble, limits, rabble, sensible, rabble, rabble laws.
    5. Thread jack to PUDC.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    But on the other hand, would I rather CTD limit panic buying by doing this? Or would I rather some jerk clear the shelves and then turn around and sell it at an inflated price that benefits him/her?

Ah, but the pertinent question is: Does it matter who does it? Supply and demand means that someone is going to make the extra money. Why does it matter who it is? Does it really make either of them a bad person? A buyer might have to pay more, but at least the item was available. Consider this: it was the buyers themselves that created the situation where there was a shortage and price inflation (or unavailability). Why blame the seller for a situation that buyers created?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

I'll be buying lots of stocks and spider funds sooner or later ;)

The very brave will play in the futures markets.

Gasoline is too hard to deal with and comes with risks (from the buying for resale perspective). However, I will fill all of my several gas cans when I think that prices have bottomed out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ah, but the pertinent question is: Does it matter who does it? Supply and demand means that someone is going to make the extra money. Why does it matter who it is? Does it really make either of them a bad person? A buyer might have to pay more, but at least the item was available. Consider this: it was the buyers themselves that created the situation where there was a shortage and price inflation (or unavailability). Why blame the seller for a situation that buyers created?

Like I said, it sucks.

Top Bottom