Gun Community Myopic and Asleep. Ideas for action needed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Regarding the Kroger/Walmart/ CVS/ Walgreen's etc, etc, etc. massive "virtue signal" project that is underway. I am amazed how short sighted some of our fellows in the gun community appear.

I actually heard someone who I consider "smart" say, "It does not effect me, I don't open carry."

Wow, just wow. I'm having a hard time equating that logic with a simile. Can someone help me out!

"I don't have daughters so sexual assaults don't effect me"? Or "I'm not Jewish so antisemitism does not raise my ire"? Or "I don't carry cash so no one would mug me."?

Losing gun rights in the courts and the legislatures is one thing, losing them in public opinion without any push back is foolish and inexcusable.

We need some ideas on how to turn this around.

Can you explain what you mean by virtue signal? I dont keep up with the news too much. What is going on?

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Can you explain what you mean by virtue signal? I dont keep up with the news too much. What is going on?

Sure. Kroger by their actions and stances, are saying "We think killing people with guns is bad", so let's ????? Ban open carry! See that will signal to the anti-gun folks that we are cool and on their side. Now they will shop at Kroger instead of Whole Foods!

Signing onto a cause to show how "with it" you are to attract attention. Geee, that girl is pretty, she just joined the botany club, guess I like botany now, I'll join the club too! Juvenile.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Walmart is not just virtue signaling they're "partnered" with Bloomberg's Evert town.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    We became second class citizens over night and most of us don't even realize it.

With comments like, "I don't open carry, it doesn't effect me" and "There aint no Walmart or Kroger in my town, it don't effect me" the end is in sight.

Nations largest retailer and grocer just moved the football on Charlie Brown.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We became second class citizens over night and most of us don't even realize it.

With comments like, "I don't open carry, it doesn't effect me" and "There aint no Walmart or Kroger in my town, it don't effect me" the end is in sight.

Second class citizens? Really??? Because you can't carry open?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Point being is to marginaliz GUN owners who carry. It starts with OC as the visible targets.
    Do you really think that it won’t move onto “no carry policy” then to “can’t carry in establishment under force of law” down the road?
    That is their plan and it’s implementation is in the works.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Point being is to marginaliz gym owners who carry. It starts with OC as the visible targets.
    Do you really think that it won’t move onto “no carry policy” then to “can’t carry in establishment under force of law” down the road?

I get this, but I struggle with the fact that private entities (non govt) property owner's have rights as well. Now, that said, I don't want to support these businesses, and I also definitely don't want them doing what Dick's Sporting Goods did and actively lobbying for gun control, but they do have rights on who to do business with (think baker and the customer who demands a cake for example) and they do have rights on admittance to their property. Of course, the left stomps all over these rights when forcing business owners to serve "protected groups", etc.

That said, I guess when these businesses make this political, and make these big media statements, they definitely are open to peaceful protest, etc as part of the process.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Point being is to marginaliz gym owners who carry. It starts with OC as the visible targets.

What does squat lifting and bro curls have to do with this? :dunno:

I get this, but I struggle with the fact that private entities (non govt) property owner's have rights as well. Now, that said, I don't want to support these businesses, and I also definitely don't want them doing what Dick's Sporting Goods did and actively lobbying for gun control, but they do have rights on who to do business with (think baker and the customer who demands a cake for example) and they do have rights on admittance to their property. Of course, the left stomps all over these rights when forcing business owners to serve "protected groups", etc.

That said, I guess when these businesses make this political, and make these big media statements, they definitely are open to peaceful protest, etc as part of the process.
    Business only have rights to exclude gays, not guns.

You must be new to INGO.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

It was never about open carry.

But what just happened is retail establishments who serve a majority of the country just crystallized public opinion against gun owners, the second amendment and gun rights. They took sides against us and seem to be having no backlash.

The lack of backlash is extremely disheartening. It means lots of people, gun owners included, don't care and think it is just great that your gun rights are eroded right in front of your face.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

But what just happened is retail establishments who serve a majority of the country just crystallized public opinion against gun owners, the second amendment and gun rights. They took sides against us and seem to be having no backlash.

The lack of backlash is extremely disheartening. It means lots of people, gun owners included, don't care and think it is just great that your gun rights are eroded right in front of your face.

Because OCing in Indiana is SO RARE that the public doesn't care, it never really did. Let's not be too overly dramatic about the effects of private businesses asking it's customers to cover their sidearms.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

There's no big conspiracy... retailers have their finger in the air and are just moving with the public opinion.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

This is exactly what it is. It's a nose under the tent, a foot in the door and a huge victory for the organized anti-gun organizations.

The anti-gunners success here sets a precedence for more and more and more intimidation and losses for us.

Too many of us are mundane and full of excuses to go ahead and continue to fund these actions. :dunno:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am amazed that we have people here on INGO that do not realize that it is not about OC.

It is about the widely publicized VICTORY for Soros, Bloomberg, Moms Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety, he Brady's, the Gifford's, Shannon Watts, Beto O'Rourke, every Democrat and every Anti-Gunner.

The momentum has shifted to them and they aren't going to stop running the ball. They have made a first down and they will keep running plays till they get another and another and another.

The blood is in the water and they are going to have a feeding frenzy.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I am amazed that we have people here on INGO that do not realize that it is not about OC.

It is about the widely publicizes VICTORY for Soros, Bloomberg, Moms Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety, he Brady's, the Gifford's, Shannon Watts, Beto O'Rourke, every Democrat and every Anti-Gunner.

The momentum has shifted to them and they aren't going to stop running the ball. They have made a first down and they will keep running plays till they get another and another and another.

:patriot:

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS

That is my guess.

Top Bottom