• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My thanks to all who have responded. Lots of good ideas coming in. Keep them coming.

I don't carry as often as I should and more than once I have been at a stoplight with some idiots' radio blasting stupid music or their bass vibrating MY truck. No incidents yet, but there is always the 1st time. And with the current state of affairs, it is always better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thus the reason for the post.

I am a wheelgun fan (old school that way), but my EDC is a S&W Shield .45 so I am leaning towards getting another one for the truck and keeping 3 mags with it. If 21 rds won't get the job done, I am already in a world of S&%T.

Just to state the obvious, but of all the reasons to have a dedicated vehicle gun, stupid music or loud bass would not even be on the list. If you're getting into altercations over it then you're doing life wrong. (Not saying you are, but seems odd that's the primary thing you listed.)

Anyway, the best approach for me has been to carry a gun everywhere it's legal. I'm going to go to my EDC if I need to fight from the car. The idea of a dedicated vehicle gun has always seemed a little odd to me when I've already got one on me. But to each their own.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Just to state the obvious, but of all the reasons to have a dedicated vehicle gun, stupid music or loud bass would not even be on the list. If you're getting into altercations over it then you're doing life wrong. (Not saying you are, but seems odd that's the primary thing you listed.)

Anyway, the best approach for me has been to carry a gun everywhere it's legal. I'm going to go to my EDC if I need to fight from the car. The idea of a dedicated vehicle gun has always seemed a little odd to me when I've already got one on me. But to each their own.

This is spot-on. Once you dedicate yourself to carrying a proven firearm on your person, EVERYWHERE it's legal, there are less reasons to think you need a gun stashed here...or stashed there. I'm certainly not saying vehicle guns are unnecessary, but first make sure you have something on YOU. Carry in your car, carry at home, carry at the store, carry while doing yard work, carry at church, carry everywhere.

Life and death situations can come on really fast and are never at a time or place of your choosing. Make sure you can access whatever you choose fairly quickly (discretely can also be a benefit).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't carry as often as I should and more than once I have been at a stoplight with some idiots' radio blasting stupid music or their bass vibrating MY truck. No incidents yet, but there is always the 1st time. And with the current state of affairs, it is always better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thus the reason for the post.

confused.gif

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    No bad options here but to throw something out there that is a bit outside the box.

My "glovebox" gun is a SAR K2 in 45 acp. Its cheap, a surprisingly good shooter and its a subsonic round which could slightly reduced the degree of hearing damage should the firearm need to discharge from inside the car.

It is never left in the vehicle overnight - only during trips into non-carry locations.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

Can not disagree with this although everyone's day to day circumstances are different. Mine, for example, keeps me out and about most days and would require me to remove my CCW multiple times a day.

A "vehicle gun" makes more sense to me than being unarmed.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County

I know others have replied, but I don't think music is an indicator of any danger. If I'm driving back and forth from work in Indy there's a 95% chance I have rap playing, and it's likely turned up loud.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I like having the backup of long gun accuracy in the vehicle vs just my EDC. I'm a decent shot with my handgun, but a tack driver out to 50yds with an AR style pistol.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I know others have replied, but I don't think music is an indicator of any danger. If I'm driving back and forth from work in Indy there's a 95% chance I have rap playing, and it's likely turned up loud.

I’ve seen your car. Quite nice but it doesn’t scream “DANGER!!!”

I agree, though, loud music doesn’t make one a threat.

Visual and auditory cues are important in being aware of ones surrounding but we should not let any preconceived stereotypes blur that awareness.

Now, if you are blaring country music....

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Get good without using the sights, short barrel five or six shot light weight double action .38 Special or larger.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I’ve seen your car. Quite nice but it doesn’t scream “DANGER!!!”

I agree, though, loud music doesn’t make one a threat.

Visual and auditory cues are important in being aware of ones surrounding but we should not let any preconceived stereotypes blur that awareness.

Now, if you are blaring country music....

So where would metal be on the danger scale of blaring music? Especially if an old fart is the driver?

7N6-Hound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indy
    Arex Delta 9mm. Affordable and built to take a beating. No revolvers, I say that because a revolver malfunction is an armorer's problem. A semi auto is user clearable problem. When fighting from a car capacity is a force multiplier and spare mags are easy to keep by.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Would a hi point 10mm carbine with a red dot be a good truck gun. Cheap don't have to worry about getting it banged up. They are reliable as far as I've seen. Just limited to 11rds.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I got a Heritage Arms .357 single action on cyber Monday last year and it works great for me. Granted, I have to oil it every so often and I also keep wrapped in one of those yellow silicone clothes in a holster. I’m not sure if it helps with rust prevention or makes it worse. I haven’t noticed any surface rust but I have noticed some blemishes in the bluing :dunno:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I use a S&W 60-3. You can always hit the gas and get out of dodge especially if you leave enough space in front to maneuver around any potential blocks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK, I'll be the first wet blanket.

DONT
    LEAVE
    A
    GUN
    IN
    YOUR
    CAR.

I'm sure our IMPD members can give more accurate numbers, but multiple "truck guns" are stolen from cars every damn week here in Indy. Does your home gun safe have glass windows? Wonder why? Then why leave your firearm outside where any mope could come up and smash a window and steal it? They arent looking for your gun, but when they go fishing for change or anything that crackhead can find to sell for their next hit, they'll happily take your gun.

Its irresponsible. Dont do it.

/soapbox

Top Bottom