OK, I'll be the first wet blanket.

DONT
    LEAVE
    A
    GUN
    IN
    YOUR
    CAR.

I'm sure our IMPD members can give more accurate numbers, but multiple "truck guns" are stolen from cars every damn week here in Indy. Does your home gun safe have glass windows? Wonder why? Then why leave your firearm outside where any mope could come up and smash a window and steal it? They arent looking for your gun, but when they go fishing for change or anything that crackhead can find to sell for their next hit, they'll happily take your gun.

Its irresponsible. Dont do it.

/soapbox

I wouldn't leave one in the car overnight, but I don't mind keeping one in the car while I'm out and about as a supplement to my carry gun. Daytime vehicle break-ins are not all that common in public places. If it gets stolen, I'll be pissed and buy a replacement.

I'm sure that some liberal ****wit will be along shortly to lecture me on how anything that happens with that gun is now my fault, just like short skirts cause rape.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    An inexpensive but pretty reliable Taurus G2 in the backseat in an unseen yet discreetly and easily retrievable location... I have 8000+ rounds in this thing, replaced with the stainless steel guiderod and that was all.
    18673a756b6933af611b1dc488b4b2de.jpg

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    I use a S&W 60-3. You can always hit the gas and get out of dodge especially if you leave enough space in front to maneuver around any potential blocks.

This is my thinking too, I keep a .357 revolver as a vehicle gun. It's enough to give pause to other so you have a chance to remove yourself from the situation. Plus when seated my vehicle gun is more
    easily accessible than my EDC due to the layout of the vehicle interior.

TolusD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Dream World
    I agree with the EDC everywhere crowd. I use a Walther CCP M2 for the job myself. It's inexpensive and very accurate. I don't know if I can get on board with the idea that you need a bag full of hi-cap mags in your car just in case you need to open up on a crowd? If you're in a situation where you'd need more than a handful of shots, you're already ****ed. Dumping a bunch of mags might make you feel better but if you happen to live you're likely to spend the rest of your days in jail or civil court or both.

Like Mr. Miyagi said, "Best defense is no be there".

bmmyers08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Danville
    I bought a cheap kimber micro 9 that has ran flawless for me so it’s now my truck gun. A few beauty marks on from edc. But it’s small enough if I don’t have one on me I can grab that and put it in a. Pocket or whatever if need be.

dave6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Lawrence
    My EDC is a S&W Shield, but I carry in a DeSantis pocket holster, so the pistol is not accessible while seated and strapped in. I picked up a SCCY 9mm for about $200, and it resides in my console. Dead reliable, reasonably accurate, and not a big investment.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    As someone who can't carry at work, I usually keep a cheap 10+ 1 round pistol in my center console. I've shot the **** outta it so I know it's reliable. For security, I lock the console overnight and unlock it when I get in. But I also live in the country and don't have to worry about break-ins. That'd be different if I lived in Indy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    Marion
    I must concur with everyone who's already posted about not leaving a firearm in one's vehicle. Regardless of time of day or location, your firearm CAN be stolen if you do not have it in a well-anchored strongbox!

I am a big fan of just keeping a bail-out bag in my car filled with spare mags for my EDC pistol. Keep your pistol on you, not stored away.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Personally, I'm of the mind set that my EDC should fill the need. My EDC takes a beating anyway, always goes bang, and I'm very proficient with it because I've trained with it quite a bit. Since it's my EDC, it doesn't get "forgotten" in the car/truck.

When I hear truck/car gun, I think of something that I would plan on using from inside the vehicle. While my EDC would meet that need, if I were going to dedicate something to that purpose because I felt my EDC wasn't up to the task, it would have to have to be something substantial. Something like a Sig P320 chambered in .357 Sig and potentially stuffed into some kind of carbine adapter that had storage for a loaded spare mag, 1000 lum weapon light, and a reflex sight of some sort. From their my options would move up to 300 blackout or 5.56 nato. So basically, I'd be using one of my "house" guns. The reason is as follows. IF my EDC is not up to the task, that means I need something that will punch through the door panels, and windshield, and still be capable of effectively stopping a threat OR be capable of providing cover fire while me and my family egress my disabled vehicle and move towards safety. Basically, it's very similar requirements for a "house" gun. While this isn't a cheap option, the only direction to go from my EDC is up and this is the next tier in my threat response plan.

Having said all of that, I never considered a truck/car gun to be a practical need. I'm fortunate enough to not live in an area where I'm afraid of getting shot at while driving down the street, and I avoid areas that fit that description at all costs. A recent conversation with a former co-worker has caused me to reconsider my position. He has been working a night shift at a manufacturing plant in Indy for the past few months. The nature of his job has him being one of the last people out of the plant on most days. During his time at this job, he's driven past 2 active fire fights, had weapons pointed at him repeatedly, and routinely hears gunfire while walking from the plant to his vehicle after his shift. He's actively searching for employment elsewhere, but can't afford to be unemployed while doing so. If I were stuck in his situation, I would most certainly have a serious truck gun (or 2 or 3) in addition to my EDC. While my "tools" remained in my locked vehicle during the shift, I'd be wearing a plate carrier to and from the building. My circumstances don't require me to travel through areas like that, for which I am thankful. Just the same, my propensity to be prepared has me considering adding such a tool to my existing tool box simply because Mr. Muphy has a rather crude sense of humor. Adequately securing my tools with-in the locked vehicle while I'm at work is what I'm still working through. It's doable in my diesel guzzling truck, but my fuel sipping Camry isn't as accommodating. Since I drive over 20k miles/yr, I spend more time in the rice burner. Not real high on my priority list, but it is on the list.

Colt357Trooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2020
    Royal oal
    I have a Rossi 2inch stainless ported 357, I picked up at a show for 250$ it’s no smith and wesson or Kimber revolver but has never not worked, small not in the way. Found a good leather Hulster on Amazon made by this lady in Mexico Amazing quality for 30$ lol. Can’t go wrong. And it holds 6 uses same 686 speed loaders. In my 40tf camper I have a take down 22/44/410 that has been under the “tv room” couch it’s a camper not a big room. But I know it’s there.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    So, basically, what cheap, reliable, easily replaced truck gun for music lovers.

Any of the Ruger P series 9mms should do the trick. I sometimes see the beaters go for around $250. Buy 2, because it's gonna get stolen.

As a bonus, St. Peter will get his laugh of the day when the "bad guy" tells him he was offed with a P 85.

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Since I EDC a 9mm semi auto , a truck/car gun to me is a backup or heavier duty option than what I am carrying. For years now it is an old beater Ruger Security Six I parkerized nigh on 30 years ago. IIRC, in a worn blue I gave $180 for it at a small gunshop. The .357 magnum chambering, combined with both the 125 gr JHPs loaded in it and a couple speedloaders with 158 grain softpoints, will take care of both hard and soft targets, even through a sheetmetal and glass shell. Being a revolver, the original "point and click interface", if I have someone in the car with me who is unarmed, I can easily arm them with it in an emergency and have a second shooter to back me up without worrying if they are aware of that particular gun's controls. It is kept in an Uncle Mike's nylon belt holster on a rolled up webbing belt along with a few Safariland speedloaders in pouches threaded onto the belt. Easy enough to deploy from storage, easily grabbed and slung across the chest if exiting the vehicle is needed.

With all the riots and such lately, I have felt the need for a little more firepower and a "reach out and touch someone" type, so the 10.5" AR15 handgun with the SBA3 brace is in the trunk, carried condition 3 with a loaded 30 in place. Legal to carry with a handgun permit, where the longer rifle version would not be unless it were unloaded. 5 spare mags in the typical black nylon case, I do need to come up with a better way of carrying the mags.

Way back in the day there was a case available, mainly for subguns, that I thought was a great idea. Basically, the exterior mag pouches were mounted to a semi rigid panel with Velcro securing it to the main case, and some Fastex buckles on it. If you needed to deploy things, you grabbed the gun out of the bag, ripped the panel off the case, and used the quick release sling on the bag to clip to the panel and use it as a shoulder slung mag carrier or rig it up as a chest rig. Today an armor panel in it would be a good idea too! Haven't seen the ad in years, and can't find any vintage copies online either.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Just to state the obvious, but of all the reasons to have a dedicated vehicle gun, stupid music or loud bass would not even be on the list. If you're getting into altercations over it then you're doing life wrong. (Not saying you are, but seems odd that's the primary thing you listed.)

Anyway, the best approach for me has been to carry a gun everywhere it's legal. I'm going to go to my EDC if I need to fight from the car. The idea of a dedicated vehicle gun has always seemed a little odd to me when I've already got one on me. But to each their own.
    I have a truck gun, because I'm not allowed to carry at work, so If I can get to my truck I have a means of self defense, I remove it when I get home. 100% of the time when not at work I carry. I, too, have taken to carrying a backpack with my Sub2000 in it, when going out, it is easy to sling and carry, and no one notices backpacks any more...my truck gun is a keltec p11, with an extra mag, I have shot it alot, and I know it works..$159 otd at my LGS

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My thanks to all who have responded. Lots of good ideas coming in. Keep them coming.

I don't carry as often as I should and more than once I have been at a stoplight with some idiots' radio blasting stupid music or their bass vibrating MY truck. No incidents yet, but there is always the 1st time. And with the current state of affairs, it is always better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thus the reason for the post.

I am a wheelgun fan (old school that way), but my EDC is a S&W Shield .45 so I am leaning towards getting another one for the truck and keeping 3 mags with it. If 21 rds won't get the job done, I am already in a world of S&%T.

Hold on just a second..... Why would you feel unsafe bc someone had loud music? That's retarded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jordan_Davis

If you're wound that tight maybe don't carry a gun. Maybe a whistle. You could blow it real hard and an adult might come help you.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Like post #42, my truck pistol is a Taurus Millenium G2. Taurus had a bad reputation years ago, or so that’s what I always heard. This gun I’ve shot a lot, never a failure. Inexpensive. I’m a revolver guy too, so can’t argue with a 38/357. Great reliable choice there.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My thanks to all who have responded. Lots of good ideas coming in. Keep them coming.

I don't carry as often as I should and more than once I have been at a stoplight with some idiots' radio blasting stupid music or their bass vibrating MY truck. No incidents yet, but there is always the 1st time. And with the current state of affairs, it is always better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thus the reason for the post.

I am a wheelgun fan (old school that way), but my EDC is a S&W Shield .45 so I am leaning towards getting another one for the truck and keeping 3 mags with it. If 21 rds won't get the job done, I am already in a world of S&%T.
    So when I was in college I drove this little Hyundai Tiburon. Nothing special but it was a quick little two door, red sports car. These punks roll up in a beat Honda Civic blaring some ghetto rap with all their windows down. They only had factory speakers but it was still pretty loud. I didn’t have anything special in my car but I had some kind of decent sound system in it that my brother had put in (no idea what it was) and I was listening to a country station. I looked these guys dead in the eyes, reeved my car slightly, then blasted Taylor Swift’s “Our Song.” They looked at me and we all burst out laughing having a good ole time out of it.

People blaring their music is nothing new. While it’s annoying, it’s nothing to be concerned about. If you feel that threatened by somebody’s sound system then you need to get some ear plugs, not a firearm.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    People blaring their music is nothing new. While it’s annoying, it’s nothing to be concerned about. If you feel that threatened by somebody’s sound system then you need to get some ear plugs, not a firearm.

:+1: I may be piling on here, but this point is too important to miss. All of the folks up-thread are right. Temperament and discipline are crucial if one intends to carry.

It cannot be overstated.

Top Bottom