• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Mine hasn't changed much. Rural living still seems pretty subdued and tame compared to some of our cities. I did carry a double stack HK when in Louisville week before last, but purposely avoided certain "areas."

Carry what you want. Cliche but true.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I don't see any issue with carrying "more than less" when its questioned about mag capacity vs potential threat of numerous aggressors!

So, if you carry your G19, spare mag opposite side, both hold 15 rounds. Why not carry a couple of 33rd mags, some OC Spray, tactical knife all in an enclosed mini pack, don't forget a tactical light!

If your traveling in your auto, you can sling the backup bag on opposite seatback, easy access.
    You can always carry another handgun that has a factory 21 round mag, or your trusty J Frame(5 rd snubbie), close at hand too. 125 rounds available Anti-Felon response isn't shabby.

Of course, co-workers may consider you as an extremist, so keep your mission to yourself. On this Forum, you are getting opinions, but good luck in your decisions. They are yours to accept or not.
    I hope you never need any of that firepower.

Just saw a clip from a parking lot shooting, close to home, and no more "J Frame in pocket" for defense. I saw at least a dozen evidence markers(empty casings)on the ground. Its getting worse out there!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    From what I've seen/heard/know, it seems a smaller load out is usually carried due to a couple of main categetories of reasons:

1) The need for deep concealment or weight reduction due to whatever circumstances, or
    2) Convenience/laziness/lack of perceived threat/risk.

With respect to #1, mission drives the gear. It is what it is. With respect to #2, it's a combination of personal risk tolerance vs motivation/willingness.

So I carry what I carry because I'm satisfied it will sufficiently mitigate my risks. You carry what you carry. Some carry more or less. Whether you've adequately mitigated your risk will only be validated by experience. If you're ever in an incident, you'll have to deal with it with the knowledge, tools, and skills you have at that moment. It may be enough or it may not. Time will tell.

Your actual risk (which is unknown), doesn't necessarily match your perceived risk. It would be nice to know actual risk before the fact, but we don't.

Some people make risk mitigation decisions with more or less knowledge, experience and/or information about the landscape than others. But whether better informed or ignorant, it's still just a guess as to what might be needed. Some guesses are more informed/educated than others.

"You pays your money, and you takes your chances."

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    My worst case scenario is an active shooter / domestic terrorist situation in a close quarters / bar-like environment.

I’m not worried about a mob as it’s easily avoidable. I carry whatever I reasonably can. Do i have multiple 33 round 9mm magazines? Yes. Do i carry them? No.

A Glock 43x with the 15 round steel mags is 16 rounds plus 2 extra mags (30) which is plenty for my worst case scenario. If I’m not able to leave or eliminate the threat with 46 rounds then I’m probably a goner...

If I’m that worried where I need more than I can reasonably carry concealed, then I probably shouldn’t put myself in that situation.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    In "normal" times I'd agree, at least in my usual warrens, with Trapper's assessment. A j frame is plenty. These are not normal times. A 226 with a couple of spares fits into the console easily enough. Just for my own peace of mind, a carbine behind the truck seat with a couple of spares in the door pocket isn't much more trouble. I studiously try to avoid population centers, and am the grey man's grey man, but a little bit of insurance works better before the proverbial feces hits the rotor.
    P.S. I "ain't" stopping. Wave your little kahr if you want,. you'll be a flat mofo.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I was going to pose this exact question. I think we have seen a fundamental change in self defense. You no longer prepare for the one or two criminals looking to rob you. You prepare for the mob of violent communists. Fortunately both me and my wife telework. We limit trips out to a minimum. We live at the end of a dead end street. My chances for encountering these mobs are minimal. However, what concerns me is my church becoming a target. I am currently carrying an XDS with a 9rd magazine. I am leaning heavily toward an XDM Elite 3.8 with the 20rd magazine. My biggest worry is if Trump gets reelected all hell breaking loose. That might require me to sit at my church and guard it.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    No amount of capacity is as useful as prevention. Stay out of downtown areas, and run the other way if you see a mob.
    Having said that, if you must go downtown you need to be carrying an autoloading rifle in your vehicle with 2-3 magazines . If you can't do that you need to be carrying a full size pistol with at least 15 rounds. BUT - I see no reason anyone would need to be in a downtown area right now unless you lived there. If that were the case you should seriously consider moving, or saying with a close friend for the next 6 months.
    It will get worse when the officers who were overcharged with murder get acquitted. The whole thing will repeat.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Just like most have said, situational awareness, be mindful of you surroundings. At the moment I have no reason, or intent, to go into areas of "peaceful protests," but I'm looking for a new XD-M Elite OSP as my new AIWB. I can't carry at work so it will reside in my vehicle safe (which I welded to the chassis), but anytime outside of that it's what will be on my person. I wear lots of bowling shirts, it doesn't "disappear," but unless the wind is right and you know you'd never suspect it. Love my wheels, but reality is reality. 22+1 of 124 grain HST.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I think there's a lot of....well I'm not sure how to word it....I don't want to call it fear mongering but perhaps wild assumptions happening...

I don't think anything has changed in 2020 where a sudden mob of angry people will show up out of nowhere and demand your life. What we have seen are protests turn violent. As many have said, avoid these situations....you will not have any amount of capacity to take on a mob if it turns into that.

I said this before and I'll reiterate that my worst fear that's actually more likely to happen then being attacked by a mob is a single or small group of domestic terrorists and for that I would want to have more than 6 rounds of ammunition.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I think some people are overestimating appropriate situational awareness and avoidance providing 100% coverage. Surely valid if you can avoid leaving a rural property and small towns, but once you get close to population centers people have suddenly run into mobs turning the wrong corner, being somewhere inside a building for a time and coming back outside to an unexpected scene, mobs that have assembled on the interstate where they thought they'd be blowing past at the typical 70mph (I-465 standards there). Just spent most of the week in urban locations where I did not want to be (for COVID concerns either) due to family member major medical issues. Evasion is still the best advice, and gets even smarter as the adversary headcount increases.

I always considered multiple bad guys or other round count scenarios, going from larger 15 semi-autos that became more difficult to carry in the summer to the more size efficient 15 round magazine Glock 19 years ago that works most of the time. In more cases I'm carrying a spare mag now, which is really just reconsidering a history of being lazy and not doing that all along. Glock 33 round spare was mentioned. Have several for many years. Ok for my large vehicle console or sliding a couple into the vehicle GHB-like pack, but fairly cumbersome size, and weight affecting handling. The more recent Glock 24 round 9mm is a better trade-off and can actually be carried reasonably in a normal off-side magazine belt pouch if you don't do too much leaning over since the height prints more easily.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been thinking of going with mag extensions on my two 9:00 extra mags.

Going on the idea that, if 100% reliable, the additional weight and length are practically irrelevant? As far as concealment, the same?

What do we think of using a good quality (Taran Tactical) Glock mag extension for EDC?

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I have been thinking of going with mag extensions on my two 9:00 extra mags.

Going on the idea that, if 100% reliable, the additional weight and length are practically irrelevant? As far as concealment, the same?

What do we think of using a good quality (Taran Tactical) Glock mag extension for EDC?

If it’s a Glock, can’t you get mags in practically any round count? I know for my g19 I have 15, 17, 20, & 33 round mags.

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I am having a hard time finding good discussions on the internet about this. I know that Mr. Paul Harrell Has addressed this over on his youtube channel for 2020
    ( https://youtu.be/6S0HnA4oLxk )

Obviously step #1: is situational awareness, BUT

Seems that with mob violence / mentality there seems to be more importance on capacity.

I do not intend this to be a caliber war. This is more a question of:

With how things have been changing, do you find yourself giving more priority to higher magazine capacities than before?

if your EDC has been a lower 10 or less capacity, have you re-evaluated your EDC priorities?

Are you choosing to keep your normal EDC and just pack a Truck gun with more oomph?
    A few months ago I came up with an 8-shot .357 Redhawk but other than that I haven’t worried about it that much. I’ve always been a revolver guy so high capacity has ever been much of an option for me.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    A few months ago I came up with an 8-shot .357 Redhawk but other than that I haven’t worried about it that much. I’ve always been a revolver guy so high capacity has ever been much of an option for me.

totally understand and agree. I would be in 100% agreement IF I could stay home in home in Rural area. But I work downtown Indy, I have to go there. I can carry at work. But it’s bad neighborhood in my books. Everything near the loop and inside 465 is danger zones these days.

in retrospect this topic does need a bit of locational backdrop. Middle of shoals Indiana is completely different then near Indy. (No im not in shoals)

Last edited:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    totally understand and agree. I would be in 100% agreement IF I could stay home in home in Rural area. But I work downtown Indy, I have to go there. I can carry at work. But it’s bad neighborhood in my books. Everything near the loop and inside 465 is danger zones these days.

in retrospect this topic does need a bit of locational backdrop. Middle of shoals Indiana is completely different then near Indy. (No im not in shoals)
    I hear you. I drive through Indy twice a week so I’m hoping they don’t decide to block the highway.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In short, yes, I have re-evaluated what I consider enough ammo based on changing social dynamics and mob mentality.

I used to believe that there was a big difference in the potential of needing higher capacity between law enforcement and a proper, non-law enforcement citizen. The thought was that if you were not employed with either enforcing or breaking the law, round count was not a critical issue. This was largely based on BBI’s data that by round 3 to 5, people were either running, dying or trying to wrap their head around what the hell just happened.

I now think that today’s environment of liberal sanctioned violence is ever escalating and there now stands a better chance that you could shoot into that 2nd or even 3rd magazine. My focus is still on carrying what I shoot best but there are often 2 and sometimes 3 spare mags available to feed what’s in the holster.

Top Bottom