• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolan1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2020
    NEW CASTLE
    I've always stressed the importance of capacity. Even before the current social upheaval, crimes like home invasions tended to have more than one attacker. I recommend something glock 19 sized, with at least one spare mag.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If you're questioning how much you carry, or don't feel it's enough, up your capacity. Find someway to carry a few spare mags.
    My EDC has not changed much. I have 30+ rounds on me between extra mags and a second gun.
    All handguns suck at stopping a person quickly with a shot or two (or five......or 15). Even a .45 ACP....... Shot placement is key. Training is where you get that.

I concur with Bigtanker in that 30 rounds (gun + extra magazines) when out-n-about!
    My favorite EDC semi-auto is a Glock 36, which is a 6+1 set-up in .45 acp…
    Over the summer, I traded for a Glock 30S, which is a 10+1 set-up in .45 acp...

I guess it matters a lot on where you frequent.
    I live in a rural area. I drive main highways approx 30 miles one way to work in a small town. The closest I’ve come to the latest nonsense is I saw a few protesters on a street corner by the courthouse in Rochester - maybe 10, all kids who’d likely get out of my way with my patented “you really don’t want to be in my way” look.
    I’m always armed, but with a 6 shot wheel gun I shoot quite well.
    When we go to the “big” city for supplies and such? Two guns, a 10 round 9mm to supplement the 6 shot revolver. Likely I’d carry more but I’m a smaller guy and comfort/concealability matters.
    I also don’t frequent areas I feel would be a bad idea. ymmv.

I concur...when 'rural' I'm comfortable with a revolver...and a speed-loader or two in the pocket.

I stopped using my Shield 9 as my EDC and switched to my XDM 3.8 full size with 19+1 after seeing the events that have happened around our nation. I typically carry at least one spare magazine with me as well. Training has been a focal point for me lately as well. There is always room for improvement, right?

Bottom line...training is key to success, in any field...and firearms are no different.
    If one has the opportunity to attend a self-defensive training program, all the better!

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    I think most of us have a caliber and capacity level we are comfortable with. It’s going to be different based upon our experience, thoughts, area we frequent, physical abilities, etc. thumping our chest and demanding everyone think as you do, won’t likely change anyone’s mind.

Well said.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Whatever I carry, I make sure I have at least 30 rounds readily available on my person. In the gun and spares, extra mags, extra speed loaders if I have a revolver etc.. I used to think that was overkill, and it probably still is, but with events in this country now looking a hell of a lot like third world sh&t holes, I am more comfortable being prudently over prepared. It is more likely now than in the past to be confronted by multiple attackers at once. Figure in that, the inevitable misses, because they won’t stand still, and it seems I am not out of line.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Whatever I carry, I make sure I have at least 30 rounds readily available on my person. In the gun and spares, extra mags, extra speed loaders if I have a revolver etc.. I used to think that was overkill, and it probably still is, but with events in this country now looking a hell of a lot like third world sh&t holes, I am more comfortable being prudently over prepared. It is more likely now than in the past to be confronted by multiple attackers at once. Figure in that, the inevitable misses, because they won’t stand still, and it seems I am not out of line.

At least 30 rounds and carrying a revolver? good luck. :):

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Yep, and a turtle is faster than a snail.

Right. My dad bought this revolver and it was light striking at the range and I was like...wow...the one reason someone wants a revolver for and it can't even do that right. SMH.

I don't think I'll ever own a revolver unless it's my only option. Just my opinion.

I also know, that under stress I would definitely not be capable of re-loading a revolver with the same speed as any magazine fed firearm. Even if I could get close I'm reloading 2-6 bullets vs 10 to 33....pass.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Both my Walther and my shield hold 8 rounds. I feel it's enough but what do I know lol

Yes sir to the mind over fear. 8 is enough with a good skill set in defense. After all, dying of natural causes is far more common than a video game style defense for the millions of street walking zombies that will merge upon you in an alley filled with insurgents. And while we are at it, if the 60 rounds plus of subcaliber ammunition helps you stay in the fight with enough time to need all of them, well, the noise you hear is like tiny bullets bouncing off an Abrams. Learn to shoot, become one with your equipment and avoid the fight. If the fight comes to you (your house or such) then a plan and major firepower is recommended.

Free Parking for the hate mail from the know the non believers.:)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I wish I had time to play cowboy on the weekends. Maybe I'd run into Wild Bill Hickok. It would be fun to watch some modern day caliber-compensating expert tell him that the .36 Navy that he used to win several gunfights was inadequate. I mean, that thing had the ballistics of what, a modern day .380? Pfft.

Wait. He carried two? LOL! Any true hero knows that 6 is enough. What a maroon!

:coffee:

Lots of mini-bullets bouncing off of tanks at these games?

:):

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I usually carry a full size handgun with 17+1 but sometimes do rotate in a compact gun that's 12+1.

While capacity is important, IMHO, being able to consistently get your draw to first shot times under two seconds is much more critical when it comes to actually winning gun fights.

How many folks here spend hours debating caliber and capacity but won't spend a few minutes per day/week working on draw stroke? How many here have never even had their concealed carry draw to first shot put on a timer?

I'm not calling out anyone specifically, but the first person to get anatomically significant hits almost always wins the gun fight. Train with what you got and focus on being able to get the gun out and on target and then go to work.

Top Bottom