• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've been looking forward to the new show TOP SHOT on The History Channel. From the looks of the promotional commercials I figured there would be a lot of shooting. After all the show is supposed to be about shooting.

WRONG

The show seems to follow the reality show mold of focusing on the drama between the competitors with some shooting thrown into the mix. There are action shots of the competitors walking. Why?

They do use some good slow motion video so you can actually see the bullets in flight, reactive targets explode to confirm hits, etc. But those actually became repetitive.

In the lead up to the final challenge they set 2 competitors in an elimination round, each was set up with a Marine Sniper Instructor. That would have been a great time to learn some real tips on how to shoot long range. NOPE. They mentioned trigger pull in passing but spent as much time on the "smiley face" one of the shooters shot above a target.

Not sure about anyone else, but I was/am disappointed.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I wasn't particularly impressed by the quality of the shooting they showed. Seeing more actual shooting would have been nice. Red screwed up by allowing Mike to take charge, for each challenge the best qualified should be in charge and for this show for Red that should have been Kelly.

The teams are going to have to listen to the best in each discipline if they expect to win.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I also had high hopes for this, but in the end, it's just reality tv.

Howevery, It's giving my friends and I ideas for shooting challenges later.

INGO Top Shot challenge???

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    It definitely seems to be a survivor clone with shooting as the challenges. I still found it entertaining, and its cool to see a fellow INGO member on the show. That alone is enough to get me to watch.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    One of the things to bear in mind is that this show isn't just made for people that are already shooters. You and I and everyone else are already in the gun culture, but Top Shot is really designed to appeal to people OUTSIDE of this existing culture.

That being said, I'm glad everyone enjoyed their first episode - the ride only gets better from here!

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    One of the things to bear in mind is that this show isn't just made for people that are already shooters. You and I and everyone else are already in the gun culture, but Top Shot is really designed to appeal to people OUTSIDE of this existing culture.

That being said, I'm glad everyone enjoyed their first episode - the ride only gets better from here!

Hey wait couldn't you just tell us the outcome LOL...:D

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    Hey Ahab
    Can you give us a clue to the challenges coming? I want to know if they have one where you throw a cup of coffee at the target then draw a pocket pistol. :laugh:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I hate when reality TV shows get all dramatic about an elimination challenge then go to commercial...show the preview for the next weeks episode and will show one of the guys that was in the current elimination...they pretty much tell you the ending before you get to see it:dunno::rolleyes:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ahab:

Is this the first time you're seeing the show, or did you have the opportunity to pre-screen the footage? It will be interesting to hear your comments about how things really went down and what your fellow competitors were really like, vs. how they're made to look on the show.

Top Bottom