HOA letter, what are the odds they side in my favor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back to the OP: reach out to someone on the Board. Tell them what you have going on. It's not permanent, but it'll take a few days. If they are reasonable they might ask if you've considered running for the Board. Don't say, OH **** NO!!!" until you get your boat fixed :laugh:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Not a good comparison. Airports are physical locations with known noise levels and schedules.

HOAs are a form of government enforced by management companies and law firms with no checks, balances, or oversight put together by developers of all nearly all new housing divisions. The theory of an HOA is sound, but the implementation has been heavily abused.

You sign paperwork for what can be done to and with including noise when buying property with a HOA...

Really what about the county air park that extends its runways and now small jets are allowed to land.... Or it adds a flight school and single and twin engines are circling the local area now...

With both buying within X of a airport or having a HOA you are well aware before settlement and with signing X paperwork during settlement that you will be living near X and or you are now part of a HOA and you sign paperwork of such...

Its all no different than one buying property next to a city beltway and then cry to get a noise wall built after you buy...

The bottom line is, the home owner signed paperwork and had full knowledge they were buying in a HOA community...

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    My first experience with a HOA was discovering that my new neighborhood didn't allow basketball goals. I was like "wtf, am I still in Indiana?"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As the VP of an 800+ home HOA...

(gee, who would have thought I would the contrarian here?)

When I saw the OP's HOA has a management company, I cringed. (cue Leadeye's catch phrase)

When I read the OP reached out the mgmt, I was happier. The biggest problem is homeowners that won't communicate back - can't be bothered to call, email, read the monthly newsletters, show up at the annual meeting...

Our HOA is toothless when it comes to enforcement - when homeowners leave their trash cans out, the best be can do is say, "pretty please?" So, jkaetz, check your covenants and bylaws for what sticks they have at their disposal. And is there a time limit? For us, trailers, boats, etc. have something like a "no more than fifteen days in one month" clause. If they have the power to issue fines, take that seriously - always follow the money.

As to the general, "HOAs ar teh suck", yeah, they can be. I'm biased, but ours is well run with people that would rather not have the power (you can't follow the money if I don't get paid). Case in point, I got an email from a homeowner complaining about Trump flags. There's no restrictions in the covenants, so I told her to (politely) pound sand.

PS: Our dues are now $190/yr, which includes off-duty FWPD, slowplowing and ton of lawn maintenance around ponds and tennis courts.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is all quite simple, don't want an HOA, don't buy a house with one. The purpose of an HOA is to maintain property values through management of exterior aesthetics. If you live in an HOA and bought your home with the standard Realtor contract the seller had a time to deliver the covenants to you or your agent, you then had a time to review them. At closing you accepted the property with the deed restrictions of the HOA and usually sign a document from the lender that you will follow the covenants.

An HOA and covenants can run the gamut from a few rules to very tightly controlled. If you don't want them don't buy a house with them. If you were to invest over a million in a house on an acre that has another home on the next acre you would be good with the crap in Coopadup's picture? I can tell you that if you were selling next to that it would turn away most buyers and you would lose money. Just what the HOA is designed to control.

Had a buddy that had the Coopadup situation way worse, he asked if he could clean up the neighbors yard when he sold his house, they let him, he hired a trash removal company and landscaped to clean it up. The crappy neighbors cost him a lot of money.

Neighborhoods can enforce street parking by the members if it is in their covenants but speed limits are set by government.

So yell freedom all you want, but your freedom is to or not to buy in an HOA. If you blatantly go against the HOA covenants you are reneging on your agreement that you would follow covenants. I am huge on freedom, would love to have a place big enough the neighbors could never bother me. But the same covenant that keeps the OP from parking his boat in the drive keeps all the other neighbors from parking all manor of trailers and RV's. Have you ever been in a 1/4-1/2 acre lot neighborhood that every home has a big trailer, fifth wheel, or RV in the drive? Not where I want to live

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    "If you were to invest over a million in a house on an acre that has another home on the next acre you would be good with the crap in Coopadup's picture?" If I spent a million on a place to live, it would have more than an acre of land and I would not care about my crazy neighbor's junk.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm a firm believer in Personal Property Rights, even when it hurts....

I was taught to worry about whats on my side of the fence.

I'm confused. On one hand you sound like Coop's neighbor should be able to keep his yard as crappy as he wants, then you turn around and say it will hurt your property value. Sounds like you would indeed worry about what's on the other side of the fence. :scratch: Am I missing something? Or just misunderstanding what you're saying?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "If you were to invest over a million in a house on an acre that has another home on the next acre you would be good with the crap in Coopadup's picture?" If I spent a million on a place to live, it would have more than an acre of land and I would not care about my crazy neighbor's junk.

Agreed, as in my post. But I guarantee that several in this thread beefing about HOA live in a $150-$300K house on about a third of an acre with an HOA...

The closer one lives to the neighbors the more important the covenants...

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I'm confused. On one hand you sound like Coop's neighbor should be able to keep his yard as crappy as he wants, then you turn around and say it will hurt your property value. Sounds like you would indeed worry about what's on the other side of the fence. :scratch: Am I missing something? Or just misunderstanding what you're saying?

You are misunderstanding me, most likely for the way I write...
    One should be able to do whatever they want with the property they own, within the law.
    Sorry I should have added.... I am a firm believer in Personal Property Rights, even when it hurts, the neighbors feelings and property value....

We have the property issue now, One neighbor has been complaining to the city about another endlessly for months now...
    He said to me its hurting his property value. On a home he bought less than two years ago, and moving from Hamilton co to cut his housing costs by 2/3 rds and move to a rundown old town. ..
    I replied did his home look like that when yours was appraised, taxed at, priced at, and you bought it?

Well I then said, it wasn't a problem when it saved you money, why is it a problem now? We haven't spoken since... Lucky me... :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think maybe this is a lesson on why not to buy a home with an HOA .

Pretty much.

I have been the the OP's home. It is a beautiful place with great surroundings. I can see why those who live there want it to stay just that way.
    But seriously, if you own a boat there should be a tiime allowed to bring it home and work on it. As long as you are not re-doing the gelcoat.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Pretty much.

I have been the the OP's home. It is a beautiful place with great surroundings. I can see why those who live there want it to stay just that way.
    But seriously, if you own a boat there should be a tiime allowed to bring it home and work on it. As long as you are not re-doing the gelcoat.

As I read it, it sounds like that time is 20-30 days. :dunno:

Everyone is going to have a different story and a different opinion, but that seems fairly reasonable to me as far as HOAs go.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I think the George Carlin opinion of drivers fits HOA’s as well. “anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac”

Last edited:
    Top Bottom