HOA letter, what are the odds they side in my favor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Plain and simple, I do not now, have, or ever will live in a area that falls under the control of a H.O.A. I don't want a group of people telling me I can't fly my American Flag, or that my grass is .5 inches too long or my drive way is 1 foot too wide or BIOTCH that my trash can sat out 1 hour too long. I've seen way too many power hungry controlling freaks that want to rain hell over trivial :poop:.

I had a friend who lost his teenage son in a tragic traffic accident, friends and church members brought food by and congregated at their home in support. They had a H.O.A. board member knock on thier door to tell them they had to disperse everyone because all the people parked on the street, the cold heartless basturd even commented he didn't care that they had just lost their son, rules was rules.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My first experience with a HOA was discovering that my new neighborhood didn't allow basketball goals. I was like "wtf, am I still in Indiana?"

Had something similar here with portable goals when I was still on the HOA Board. Me and a rep from the management company came to an agreement on interpretation of a certain reference. This is Indiana after all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Plain and simple, I do not now, have, or ever will live in a area that falls under the control of a H.O.A. I don't want a group of people telling me I can't fly my American Flag, or that my grass is .5 inches too long or my drive way is 1 foot too wide or BIOTCH that my trash can sat out 1 hour too long. I've seen way too many power hungry controlling freaks that want to rain hell over trivial :poop:.

I had a friend who lost his teenage son in a tragic traffic accident, friends and church members brought food by and congregated at their home in support. They had a H.O.A. board member knock on thier door to tell them they had to disperse everyone because all the people parked on the street, the cold heartless basturd even commented he didn't care that they had just lost their son, rules was rules.

Yeah that would have ended very badly for him. Very very badly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds like lots of people that buy a home next to the airport and knowingly sign paperwork at settlement that they are buying a house next to a airport and after settlement complain about noise coming from airport. Caveat Emptor....

This actually happened here. This neighborhood was build half a decade after the airport. They even shared a drive with the airport so there was no surprise as they had to drive past the 8' wide signs on each side of the entrance.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8292764,-86.2905844,362m/data=!3m1!1e3

I agree someone should fix up that lil wagon, there are underprivileged kids everywhere.

I'm more concerned with why someone is taking pictures over his fence?

technically illegal I believe. You have an expected right to privacy behind a privacy fence. photographing people over the fence is illegal, I know that for sure. Not sure about inanimate objects though.

Yeah that would have ended very badly for him. Very very badly.

Yep. I'm sure he deserved a pop in the mouth for that. Followed by everyone in the house telling the responding officer "No idea who that guy was. We all assumed he was with somebody else. Must have been a party crasher." :dunno:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Sounds like lots of people that buy a home next to the airport and knowingly sign paperwork at settlement that they are buying a house next to a airport and after settlement complain about noise coming from airport. Caveat Emptor....

Race track, shooting range, concert venue, train tracks, interstate, etc. There are an alarming number of cases where the home buyer(s) prevailed. In my case it's Camp Atterbury but we just make sure anything hanging on the walls is hung securely.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Race track, shooting range, concert venue, train tracks, interstate, etc. There are an alarming number of cases where the home buyer(s) prevailed. In my case it's Camp Atterbury but we just make sure anything hanging on the walls is hung securely.

I think I'd still take the sound of things going boom occasionally over the sound of a train running right behind your house at all hours of the day and night. I might even giggle a little bit (at the booms). :):

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

And I would bet that the number of things that have been curtailed are nothing compared to those that have not.

My familys farm in St Marys co Maryland takes brunt of a few bases in rivers above and below it. When the Rail Gun and artillery are shot for testing at Dalgrin on the Potomac it sounds like the rear door on a tri axle slamming in your driveway, Or the Navy Test Pilot School at Pax River going sonic on the Bay in there Super Hornets or testing the F22 ... LOL... Thats Freedom...

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I've heard stories like this and I didn't want to live in an HOA, my wife wanted a nice house and didn't care about the HOA. We live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Mine is an exception though. Never had any negative interactions with the the HOA. The HOA dues (which are very minimal, 75 a year) pay for snow removal and a few other things. They do have a mailbox rule that isn't enforced (they want every mailbox post to be exact) now because they can't get them made for a descent price anymore. Last one I got was free through them and a board member actually helped me replace it. On the 4th of July, they had a block party where the HOA dues bought food. There is bad ones, but mine is good. I just wish the guy who is the President of the HOA wouldn't drive like he does, especially when my kids play in the yard. Yes, I try to keep them in the yard but there is a bunch of kids in my neighborhood and he flies through (along with his kids).

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just wish the guy who is the President of the HOA wouldn't drive like he does, especially when my kids play in the yard. Yes, I try to keep them in the yard but there is a bunch of kids in my neighborhood and he flies through (along with his kids).

I have asked politely with neighbors on my street to please slow down due to all the kids playing. Always had good results except one young guy just say ya ok whatever dude as he was walking away.

My next course of action was to time a yard sale bowling ball to roll down my driveway in front of his car. Probably wouldn’t have been to friendly to the undercarriage to his car. He moved within a month of our conversation.

The guy that bought his house is the guy that I posted a picture of at the range it took him to.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I have to deal w a HOA. Read first page of thread. Honestly, ours has been easy to work with. Have you communicated with the POC and tell them what is going on and your plan? most likely they just see the boat and want to prevent a massive issue later.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And I would bet that the number of things that have been curtailed are nothing compared to those that have not.

My familys farm in St Marys co Maryland takes brunt of a few bases in rivers above and below it. When the Rail Gun and artillery are shot for testing at Dalgrin on the Potomac it sounds like the rear door on a tri axle slamming in your driveway, Or the Navy Test Pilot School at Pax River going sonic on the Bay in there Super Hornets or testing the F22 ... LOL... Thats Freedom...

When I was stationed at Langley AFB you would hear about residents in Virginia Beach complaining about the jet noise. How long has the Navy been there? The 1st Fighter Wing had F-15s since the 70's (F-4s before that) and was transitioning to the F-22 when we were there. Funny how they are only noisy in Virginia Beach.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was stationed at Langley AFB you would hear about residents in Virginia Beach complaining about the jet noise. How long has the Navy been there? The 1st Fighter Wing had F-15s since the 70's (F-4s before that) and was transitioning to the F-22 when we were there. Funny how they are only noisy in Virginia Beach.

Years ago, IRP at the west edge of Claremont. The suits broke ground on some urban sprawl that continued the westward white flight from Indy.
    Now remember that this racing facility has been in operation since the late 50's early 60's to memory. I raced there with my uncle in 1965. No houses save for the ones that were there before the track and some were being built across the road behind the drive in theater.

The area started to boom. The nationals came on Labor day as always. The idiots that bought home adjacent to the track lost their ever loving minds. A class action suit was filed to shut down the track. The judge reviewed the case and dismissed it pretty fast. He said "Did any of you good people actually know what that place was when you moved into the area...???"

We are miles from there and can hear the fuelers run pretty clearly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think maybe this is a lesson on why not to buy a home with an HOA .

Or maybe one might look at what is here say I want the protection of an HOA. At its elemental level a HOA is an agreement between property owners that specifies how we will maintain our properties, once created the agreement follows the deed. No more, no less. The covenants spell out the agreement and generally there will be some things like architectural review of additions and other changes.

This shows that an HOA is not "the man" overlord but merely an agreement among land owners, who usually live very close, as to what they will do outside their home. Some posts make it seem like HOA covenants are one size fits all, they are not. If it is important to you that your neighbors grass be the perfect height all the time, there is likely a place for you to get that agreement. If you only want to make sure your neighbor does not fill the drive with inoperative vehicles you can get that. You have a choice and should read the covenants and determine if you can live with them.

Occasionally there will be the overzealous board or members but there are remedies if they are indeed pushing beyond the agreement. If your agreement says no trailers in the drive and you park one there, you are violating the agreement.

An an agreement with my neighbors is in my mind a very good thing, just make certain you can live with the agreement...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Years ago, IRP at the west edge of Claremont. The suits broke ground on some urban sprawl that continued the westward white flight from Indy.
    Now remember that this racing facility has been in operation since the late 50's early 60's to memory. I raced there with my uncle in 1965. No houses save for the ones that were there before the track and some were being built across the road behind the drive in theater.

The area started to boom. The nationals came on Labor day as always. The idiots that bought home adjacent to the track lost their ever loving minds. A class action suit was filed to shut down the track. The judge reviewed the case and dismissed it pretty fast. He said "Did any of you good people actually know what that place was when you moved into the area...???"

As an aside, those fuelers' noise goes farther than you think. If the conditions are right, you can hear it up at the extreme NE corner of Hendricks County where I grew up. 8 miles as the crow flies.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    As an aside, those fuelers' noise goes farther than you think. If the conditions are right, you can hear it up at the extreme NE corner of Hendricks County where I grew up. 8 miles as the crow flies.

As a further aside, I used to live about a mile from I-69. On a quiet winter night I could hear truckers fall asleep and run on the rumble strip for, at presumably 70mph, 10-15 miles in a shot. Same with (presumably) low tires/bad wheel bearings. I could hear wah-wah-wah-wah for up to 15 minutes, easily, on just about any given quiet night.

It's surprising how far sound can travel if nothing stops or masks it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Like the people that buy a house a mile from the airport and then complain about the noise

Edit: I was amazed a how much you could feel a run shaking the air in your lungs. You could just about feel every cylinder firing if you were close to the tree

Top Bottom