• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Looking to set up a home defense pistol. I want a light, laser, high capacity, prefer no external safety. I do not want an AR pistol as I live in a duplex and over penetration is bad. I've got a few viable options in my safe (509, g34, CZ p07 40cal) but I'm also looking for an excuse to add to the arsenal lol. A few I've considered are the m9a3, USP, vp9, fnx45, any others I should consider? No 1911s must be high capacity and must have a rail. I'd also prefer a factory threaded barrel. When kids are in the mix a suppressor may be a requirement to protect their ears, or so I'll explain to the misses....

Next is the light and sights. I prefer to have a laser light combo. I wear contacts so sights can be fuzzy with no lenses, glasses may not be an option in an emergency. A bright light with a pronounced laser is preferred. I've had a viridian but I hated the controls, and with how far forward they sit I may have a reach issue if I go fnx45 route.

So help me spend some money, share your home defense pistol, and your opinions on equipment. I'm sitting on a pile of store credit at the lgs so we can afford to be a little over the top.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Streamlight tlr-2 (that model has laser). Id advise to NOT get the HL (high lumen output) which is a bit TOO bright for inside use (unless in a massive mansion with 40 yd distances inside)

Fnx45 tactical would be great if u want .45 -- u can get 1911s with rails :) Para and a few others offer some good hi-cap 1911/2011s if that platform suits u
    HKs, XDMs, are solid options in my book also.

But... I'd say use the G34 for now, get the laser/light.
    Any reason u want .45 over 9mm... all of these things can/will penetrate multiple walls.
    Bullet construction is perhaps most important factor in ANY caliber

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Best bet might not be a pistol caliber if you are worried about over penetration..
    why not an AR-15 carbine length. Getcha light laser, throw an eotech on it. Ska-doosh your in the money.

and a wide range of cans for the little ones ear protection.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I also don't want to have an ar on my nightstand. Not set on a caliber I've got them all. I also shoot pistols every week, I get to the rifle range one every couple months. It comes down to training I'm better trained and faster with pistols. I've got a beautiful 11-87 tacd out which would be my long gun choice for hd, but again not something I want to hide by my bed.

I could easily put a laser and light on something I own but I want something new.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I unno then man. Just go to the gun store and buy the coolest thing. Sounds like you have the gear, you just need an excuse.
    if i was just looking to buy up a new piece itd probably be the wilson combat edc X9. Or a wilson combat 92.

i know they dont have rails. But if you are just looking for something new, why not get something wild?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    The PPQ has OEM 17 rd magazines available, a rail and no safety. The Five-seveN ships with 20 round mags but does have a safety by your trigger finger which is unlikely to be tripped while racking the slide (if that was your concern).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, I'm testing a 300BO AR pistol with a suppressor for HD. So far, so good. Close to 200 rounds in without a failure. With a bit more through it, I'll call it good. Subsonic 300BO should be good for indoors use without a huge amount of over penetration. Plus, there's 30 of them on tap, so it has the high capacity covered.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Right now, I'm testing a 300BO AR pistol with a suppressor for HD. So far, so good. Close to 200 rounds in without a failure. With a bit more through it, I'll call it good. Subsonic 300BO should be good for indoors use without a huge amount of over penetration. Plus, there's 30 of them on tap, so it has the high capacity covered.

This is my new thought on HD. I just don't know if I want to get into .300BO, if I don't reload them, they are pretty expensive. Also looking into a suppressed AR pistol, but .300BO can have a much shorter barrel.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    What about a Glock 17? Same mags as the 34, new to you, and they're accurate as all get out! Of if you want a 45 a Glock 21, I know there were factory versions of the Glocks with threaded barrels a year or so ago?

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Possibly a CZ P09. It has the omega trigger so you can go safety or decocker. It comes with 19 round magazines which +2 extensions are available for 21. Has a rail for any accessories needed (light and or laser)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I strongly considered a 300bo pistol I have a lower, and have been planning on putting together a 300bo sbr. I am a 300 fanboy I love mine. I just don't think it's where I would go for bedside hd. I like the concealability of a pistol. Like a good mistress, easy to hide, easy to use, and always there when you call.

I could put the 11-87 in the closet, that would be on my way to pursue any intruder. I may keep that as an option, but I prefer to keep them locked up securely for those times when I'm not at the house.

Truth about this thread is that I have ~2500 in credit from a couple consigned sales at the lgs so I'm kind of looking for over the top dream rigs.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    76jdI9wh.jpg

End of the thread, CZ Shadow Target 2 holds 18+1 in the gun and the Target 2 features the CZ Custom Shops trigger package for a 6.5# double action with a 2.5# single action. Throw on a SureFire X400U with whatever color laser you want and you have the full $2,500 spent just about Load it with 147gr pills so it stays subsonic and throw a can on it and you have one mean HD gun. Because personally game guns make sick HD guns IMHO

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom