How much difference is there between shooters in different classes? (USPSA)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now there is a commitment I can agree to. Next year my goal is to buy more gear.

I hero or zero'ed my carry gun without magwell or competition sights early last year. It bought me an unexpected classification move. :dunno:

I was just practicing in case Coach hollered and said it was OK Corral time.
    :):

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I wanted to make "C" class by the end of my first year but fell short. I really bombed a few classifiers. My goal for year 2 is to make "C", move faster (haha) and try to shoot cleaner. I really need to spend more time practicing to make that happen.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think part of moving up in classification is having the time/money/dedication/spouse that allows a person to shoot more matches. I know D class shooters who can run with B/C guys and C class shooters who sometimes win the local match. But since they shoot very few classifiers during a season there is less opportunity to move up.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I think part of moving up in classification is having the time/money/dedication/spouse that allows a person to shoot more matches. I know D class shooters who can run with B/C guys and C class shooters who sometimes win the local match. But since they shoot very few classifiers during a season there is less opportunity to move up.

3 shooters in a hider division don't count.

:whistle:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I made B by primarily shooting every weekend and was semi close to an A for a short bit because of someone holding a timer behind my back and not capturing the 2nd half of a classifier (this happened is Wisconsin, so as to not besmirch my Indiana brethren)

B is achievable by regular match attendance in my opinion and just getting comfortable to the game 'stress'

I've seen a shooter move up rapidly from June to January. He puts in the time and still seems to have reflexes to keep improving

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Dedication is the most important factor to moving up. 15 minutes a day of dry fire practice can work miracles.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    New to USPSA here with no classification. If there's only 15~20 shooters in your division, and 5 in your class, it seems like things are pretty "subdivided" in terms of the class competition aspect, almost to the point of not having much meaning. Is there some other function to it (ie, do invitational things like nationals only take so many people from each class, etc.?). Also, how far back does this classification database go? To the beginning of the sport with Jeff Cooper sitting under an apple tree, or do they make cutoffs and adjustments every so often? Is the "100%" your hit factor is getting measured against just one single, entered score by one guy shot on, say, June 6 2002? Just curious as to how it all gets administered. The USPSA website tells a lot about how "your" interaction with the classification system works, but not a lot about what they're doing on their end.

Thanks everyone.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    New to USPSA here with no classification. If there's only 15~20 shooters in your division, and 5 in your class, it seems like things are pretty "subdivided" in terms of the class competition aspect, almost to the point of not having much meaning. Is there some other function to it (ie, do invitational things like nationals only take so many people from each class, etc.?). Also, how far back does this classification database go? To the beginning of the sport with Jeff Cooper sitting under an apple tree, or do they make cutoffs and adjustments every so often? Is the "100%" your hit factor is getting measured against just one single, entered score by one guy shot on, say, June 6 2002? Just curious as to how it all gets administered. The USPSA website tells a lot about how "your" interaction with the classification system works, but not a lot about what they're doing on their end.

Thanks everyone.

The primary impact of classifications is it allows more trophies to be handed out at major matches for those with no hope of coming in near the top.

The best value to the shooters is a way to track progress and something to set goals against.

i don't recal when it started exactly, mid 90s maybe. Before I was involved. Database goes back to the beginning afaik. The 100% High Hit Factor (HHF) is set by HQ. Sometimes it comes from nationals results, sometimes from thin air, sometimes from a pro-rate of other divisions, and sometimes they simply adjust it if it shows a trend of folks shooting above their normal class on that particular stage.

You can calculate the HHF, but HQ has not yet published them.

-rvb

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Forget about classification and just go have FUN and be Safe. When I decided to go for GM, I attacked each classifier like a life and death situation. A quick draw and fast reloads on most classifiers at 7-10 yd. will get you a pretty good score. Throw down a few 100% scores and there is your GM card. Then if you go to a State , Area or National match you will find out your classification is a little bogus and you will have to learn the whole game if you want to be REALLY competitive in USPSA. I started USPSA in 1990 and there has been a big change in the past 15 years with the different type classifiers now in use. A lot of the original 99 series classifiers have been deleted that guys made GM on.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...I started USPSA in 1990 and there has been a big change in the past 15 years with the different type classifiers now in use. A lot of the original 99 series classifiers have been deleted that guys made GM on.

How were those earlier classifiers different? Did the addition of things like Production and SS affect that? I find the evolution of these sports to be interesting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Forget about classification and just go have FUN and be Safe. .
    :rockwoot:

For the win!

I catch a bit of grief (that I laugh off) for not caring much about classification. I'm there to maintain and improve my gun handing and shooting skills along with having fun.

While I totally appreciate the folks that can calculate hit factors in their head and can quote their last 6 classifier percentages, that is not for me.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I catch a bit of grief (that I laugh off) for not caring much about classification. I'm there to maintain and improve my gun handing and shooting skills along with having fun.

While I totally appreciate the folks that can calculate hit factors in their head and can quote their last 6 classifier percentages, that is not for me.

Great thing about 'Murica is you can be free to have a different opinion. I'm in my early/mid 20s, a former high school athlete, and someone who just loves to compete. I could see this becoming my next "fix" for my desire to compete.

Now if you're someone who isn't like me, wants to get better, and perhaps likes the social portion of the sport, than there is no reason to care about a classification. Different strokes, different folks.

Top Bottom