How much difference is there between shooters in different classes? (USPSA)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I see a lot of guys older then me that can shoot better then I can manage. The secret is sending your kids off to and complete college or military service. 1) they won't be around the house with all the associated kid activities. 2) your wife won't anything to do with you anymore. 3) you will be knocking on retirements door and set in yours job. BOOM!!! Time to go to the range, reload, tinker and practice.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I see a lot of guys older then me that can shoot better then I can manage. The secret is sending your kids off to and complete college or military service. 1) they won't be around the house with all the associated kid activities. 2) your wife won't anything to do with you anymore. 3) you will be knocking on retirements door and set in yours job. BOOM!!! Time to go to the range, reload, tinker and practice.

The problem with that Nate is by the time you get to that point you body no longer cares about how bad you want to improve.:(

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I am 58, and started shooting steel this year. Eventually, I shot in 2 USPSA matches, and even though I sucked royally, I am hooked!

I have only shot one classifier, and I bombed it pretty badly (30%). I know I am a better shooter than that though and with some practice and experience, I know I can move up.

It takes time to get past the "timer freeze" phase that comes from nerves when you are new to shooting under pressure. The more I shoot in matches however, the less this is an issue. With steel, I am getting more relaxed with every meet (I have shot 6 steel matches and 2 USPSA matches now).

I agree that consistency is the key. I can have a SMOKING stage or two, then a couple of ones that are decent, but then I blow chunks on two more, and my final scores suck.

In the most recent SCSA match at ACC which had 5 classifier stages, I shot two of them as a high "C", but then 3 more as a high "D". I realize that SCSA and USPSA are different animals, but the consistency comments ring true to my brain as well.

I have a practice plan in place for the winter months, which includes a TON of dry fire.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    when i started shooting USPSA many years ago, i focused on a gun that went bang every time i pulled the trigger, and trying to be consistent and safe. when i was 1st classified i was a low level C shooter in the open class, shooting a single stack 1911 45acp.
    i though the gun was "holding me back", and dropped some hard earned bucks on a custom 38super. it took me about 6 months to figure out the gun wasnt the "problem" and went back to my old reliable 45acp.
    i started having fun again at matches, and my scores slowly improved, i was at a high level C/ (very) low level B shooter when a cross country move kinda put a stop to me putting a lot of rounds downrange with any consistency. i'm a lot older now than i like to admit, and have some slight mobility issues, i'd be lucky if i could classify as a high D shooter now....

:cheers:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    when i started shooting USPSA down in florida, i was initially squaded with some B class and higher shooters. just watching them while they shot helped my shooting. seeing the speed and accuracy that they blew through a stage helped with my being smooth and consistant. more than once i saw master and GM shooters blow through a stage, and royally screw up. they were always the 1st to admit they werent shooting smooth. always made me want to be smooth and consistent. i havent shot in several years, but ive dusted off my holster and gear, and hopefully will be making a return to the sport i had so much fun shooting

:cheers:

Top Bottom