41991581_1532697650208806_3811487813946310656_n.png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Reporter covering Florence catches looters in the act... There seems to be no depth to which some people will not sink. Now I could possibly see this if people were truly desperate and needed supplies to survive, but if you're wearing a mask or otherwise covering your face, that's clearly not the case. You're just a lowlife thief.

https://www.wfla.com/weather/hurric...hes-looters-at-family-dollar-store/1448842846

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Talked to my brother this morning who lives outside Winston-Salem and he was out with his wife car shopping. He said they had rain and some wind and didn't see or hear about any trees down or damage in his area.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Uss NORTH CAROLINA is inside a cofferdam and also solidly silted in. B.B.-55, at ~40,000 tons isn’t going anywhere. Storm or no storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cofferdam makes a difference.
    Weight. . Not so much.
    It's a big ocean, and mother nature has power to spare.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Days 3, 4, 5, & 6 of Florence (Sept 15-18)
    Day 3 (Sept 15)
    Predawn check of evacuation route showed water rushing 6 inches deep in 1 area
    Took supplies in check ride in JD Gator to vehicles at road
    Loaded dogs in crate in back of Gator
    Loaded food and last supplies in passenger seat of Gator
    Drove tractor ahead of wife in Gator until we got to the high water area (now almost 1 foot deep)
    Chained Gator to tractor and pulled Gator through as a precaution
    Moved crated dogs and supplies to truck at road
    Wife and I shuttled car and truck to neighbors 1/2 mile away on high ground through water crossing road
    Last trip moved tractor & Gator to neighbors
    We were able to get to I40 by dodging only 1 or 2 trees across road (neighbors had cleared other downed trees)
    Headed west on I40 (north on this section of I40) but I40 was closed about 10 miles from our off ramp
    Used side roads to get to our hotel through some areas starting to flood (about 2 hr trip for 35 miles)
    No electricity in area and no emergency lighting in hotel (we packed 8 flashlights with fresh batteries and an extra dozen batteries)
    No internet connection in area (land or cellular)

Day 4 (Sept. 16)
    Just light rain at times
    Everyone staying at the hotel are getting along fine
    Dogs are nervous but well medicated
    I40 towards Raleigh is open again and people are heading out of hotel west bound
    Best estimate before we can even get back to our cabin is 3-4 weeks

Day 5 (Sept17)
    Heavier rain overnight but I think the worst is over
    Still no electricity in hotel and the smell of wet dogs will linger here well after we checkout (we may actually have been undercharged)
    Water should be about 6 - 12 inches over the floor in the cabin now
    Took the dogs to a kennel today but we are still stuck in unsafe "NO"Quality Inn

Day 6 (Sept18)
    Water is now 4-5 feet deep in cabin and 6 1/2 feet deep in garages and river has only a few inches to go to crest
    We moved north to an area and hotel with electricity
    Staying here for 2 days and moving to temporary housing in daughter's house that is empty and for sale in Jacksonville

I have been through tornados and hurricanes and the difference is a tornado is like a venomous snake striking at you and a slow moving hurricane is like being stalked by a rabid turtle.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Days 3, 4, 5, & 6 of Florence (Sept 15-18)
    Day 3 (Sept 15)
    Predawn check of evacuation route showed water rushing 6 inches deep in 1 area
    Took supplies in check ride in JD Gator to vehicles at road
    Loaded dogs in crate in back of Gator
    Loaded food and last supplies in passenger seat of Gator
    Drove tractor ahead of wife in Gator until we got to the high water area (now almost 1 foot deep)
    Chained Gator to tractor and pulled Gator through as a precaution
    Moved crated dogs and supplies to truck at road
    Wife and I shuttled car and truck to neighbors 1/2 mile away on high ground through water crossing road
    Last trip moved tractor & Gator to neighbors
    We were able to get to I40 by dodging only 1 or 2 trees across road (neighbors had cleared other downed trees)
    Headed west on I40 (north on this section of I40) but I40 was closed about 10 miles from our off ramp
    Used side roads to get to our hotel through some areas starting to flood (about 2 hr trip for 35 miles)
    No electricity in area and no emergency lighting in hotel (we packed 8 flashlights with fresh batteries and an extra dozen batteries)
    No internet connection in area (land or cellular)

Day 4 (Sept. 16)
    Just light rain at times
    Everyone staying at the hotel are getting along fine
    Dogs are nervous but well medicated
    I40 towards Raleigh is open again and people are heading out of hotel west bound
    Best estimate before we can even get back to our cabin is 3-4 weeks

Day 5 (Sept17)
    Heavier rain overnight but I think the worst is over
    Still no electricity in hotel and the smell of wet dogs will linger here well after we checkout (we may actually have been undercharged)
    Water should be about 6 - 12 inches over the floor in the cabin now
    Took the dogs to a kennel today but we are still stuck in unsafe "NO"Quality Inn

Day 6 (Sept18)
    Water is now 4-5 feet deep in cabin and 6 1/2 feet deep in garages and river has only a few inches to go to crest
    We moved north to an area and hotel with electricity
    Staying here for 2 days and moving to temporary housing in daughter's house that is empty and for sale in Jacksonville

I have been through tornados and hurricanes and the difference is a tornado is like a venomous snake striking at you and a slow moving hurricane is like being stalked by a rabid turtle.

Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom