I like photography...and I like gun stuff...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I used to buy cheap slr cameras at yard sales and physically hold the lenses in front of my nikon. The result was usually an incredibly narrow depth of field with selective focus capability.

Whoah, Nelly, how do you do this? How do you prevent light leakage? Do you use bellows? Do you have super steady hands? Inquiring mind with a wallet too small to afford a good T&S lens wants to know.

Da Bing

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Honestly, I usually just throw a tshirt over the front half of the camera and lens.

The lens gets so close to the camera that you can steady both with one hand, so, as long as you're not doing long exposures, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I shot a few test shots last night to demonstrate. I'll post them this evening when I get home from work.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey, this ain't the beer snob's thread (but Jamaica does make good beer! :D)

In addition to shooting and photography, I'm a musician and enjoy motorcycles. Having several expensive hobbies makes it difficult to adequately fund any particular one. :(

Haha, for sure, Jamaican beer isn't bad, but I think I get more drunk on fluorite and glass. Though if you're a beer snob, you have to hit up the Trion in New Haven some time. 50+ beers on tap!

And I know what you mean about expensive hobbies. I try to limit myself to two at one time. I've scaled back on the photography to spend money on guns and mountain biking. :):

Very nice shot and nice pair o' glocks too btw!

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I wish I could say that. I'm at guns, knifemaking, guitars/other musical instruments, photography, building cars, building motorcycles, etc.

I'm perpetually broke.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In college I was into cycling...

Shortly after beginning real life, I re-discovered firearms...

Then I discovered photography...but put down the 35mm 4-5 years ago when I switched jobs and no longer traveled around (always had my camera with me!)

Recently re-discovered photography and bought the DSLR for a trip to Hawaii / to have around as we were expecting our first child.

And my wife owns a horse that we board at a stables in Bargersville.

Yes, yes, yes indeed. I know about expensive hobbies all too well. *sigh*

(stupid horse)

-J-

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Hey now, horses are magestic creatures.

...annoying, retardedly expensive, and pointless magestic creatures. :D

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Whoah, Nelly, how do you do this? How do you prevent light leakage? Do you use bellows? Do you have super steady hands? Inquiring mind with a wallet too small to afford a good T&S lens wants to know.

Da Bing

6104842728_0bbff43689_z.jpg

(shot in the wrong iso, since, well, I wasn't paying attention, hence the grain)

6104841602_ba008d699b_z.jpg

6104841250_7929745985_z.jpg

As I'm sure you can tell, all the bullets are on the same focus plane, yet, especially in the last photo, you can see the "line" of focus from the bottom-center of the frame directly towards the bullet.

These were shot with a broken canon 50mm 1.8 I bought on a canon ae1 at a yard sale for 20 bucks that had a number of fungus spots in it in front of a nikon d80 with an "on the byas" brand tshirt acting as a hood of sorts. More or less wrapped around the lens/body to block light. The light source was a 3 dollar goodwill flash on top of an ebay chinese remote trigger. I'm a fan of the experiment-with-whatever-and-see-what-works school of thought, in case you couldn't tell. Lol

Not the best examples, but you get the idea. You have to play with both the f stop of your lens (holding down the aperture acuator on the back of the lens causes it to close. Kinda tricky, so it's best to use a lens that's either broken, or you don't have a problem modifying to work) and the focus, as well as the angle of the lens and distance it is from the camera. It's kinda frustrating at first, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

...oh, and, this seems like a given, but don't do this in adverse weather, or dusty situations, and don't stuff the shirt in the camera.

Another way to do it is to use a lens cap with a hole drilled in it, and a body cap with a hole drilled in it with a piece of flexible black tubing inbetween to block out the light. I built one, BUT can't find it. I'm sure there's a tutorial online somewhere.

Hope that helps. Feel free to pm me if my terrible and vague explanation doesn't make a bit of sense. Lol

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Those are some really nice pictures!

I like photography and guns too but I found it to be a very expensive hobby. It's not the guns or ammo that are hurting my wallet, its the cost of those fancy cameras.
    Photography + guns + cycling + traveling... it's not the bodies, but the glass (lenses & filters) that's killing my wallet.

Here is one of my more... Umm, edgy ones.

562542789_zNcru-M.jpg
    That's.. um.. scary-looking. Very emotional. Love the lighting.

Bringing this thread up inspired me, too. :) Canon 7D with a Tamron 90mm Macro.

macro%20fun%20194.jpg

macro%20fun%20207.jpg

macro%20fun%20212.jpg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've also been known to take pics of things other than guns... I like cars too. :)

650150046_jp927-L.jpg

652107722_Ama9H-L.jpg

I showed up at the track on 41 a couple years ago and shot some fun pics of the drag racers.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Nice pics Pami.
    Thanks! :D

I love Canon cameras.
    Me, too. TBH, when I got my first dSLR, I was torn between the Canon XT and the Nikon 40D. I had to buy into a whole new system in any case because all my film cameras were Minoltas. When I finally had the money, the XTi was out and on sale, so that was the winner. I absolutely don't regret the decision at all. What I've read in research since then is that between the two, Nikon is still the clear winner in film, but Canon has an edge in digital. *shrug* I've never been one for technical details.

I shoot with a Canon 1D Mark IV.
    I hate you. ;)

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Eh, I'm a nikon person, myself. ;)

That being said, I wouldn't mind a 5d mark iii, or whatever number they're up to now. Lol

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Eh, I'm a nikon person, myself. ;)

That being said, I wouldn't mind a 5d mark iii, or whatever number they're up to now. Lol
    I recently sold my 5D Mark II. Great camera, but the 1D better suits my needs. The new 5D Mark III should be out one day soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that one.

Top Bottom