• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have had an incredibly difficult time trying to get this Ruger M77 Mark II .30-06 rifle zeroed.

Just a quick bit of history, I bought the rile as an impulse purchase at the Indy 1500 YEARS ago. Didn`t know anything about centerfire rifles, but just thought it would be “cool” to have a .30-06 in the gun-safe. It`s the beautiful blonde laminate stock, with the Stainless Steel barrel. I put a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 on top of it, and indeed, tucked it away into the gun safe. Over time as it just sat there, it ended up selling it to my Nephew for next to nothing. MUCH less than I had invested in it. As Indiana finally opened up white-tail deer hunting to centerfire rifles, I bought it back from him, and began my quest to zero it with a suitable .30-06 bullet.

My first trip to the range, I shot the Federal 165 grain Trophy Bonded Tip round, and it was an adventure. The rifle didn`t seem to group well at all. My targets looked more like they`d been hit with buckshot at 100 yards, and worse yet, when I tried to adjust the scope, it seemed to over correct, and I was shooting a LOT of very expensive premium ammo, and getting nowhere. On the drive home from the shooting range, I called Leupold and told the tech what I was experiencing, and he recommended sending the scope to them. I did that, and from the report they sent back with the scope, it seemed that they had replaced everything inside the scope except the lenses. I had the scope mounted again and sighted in off a bench, and the best I could do was about a 2 and ½ inch group at 100 yards. I was so frustrated. Someone I talked to said to check the action screws. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he said the action screws were loose. So loose that they could easily be turned. I got the factory specs from Ruger and he attempted to torque them to factory specifications. He was unable to get the front action screw to the Ruger spec of 90 Inch pounds, so, I sent the freaking rifle to Ruger. They were gracious enough to allow me to send the rifle to them with my scope attached. The tech polished the crown, installed new action screws and did a few other things too, as well as shooting the rifle. He said he got approximately an inch group at 50 yards shooting a 180 grain bullet, and got approximately a ½ group at 50 yards shooting a 150 grain bullet. They shipped it back to me, and my hope and expectations were high.

I took the rifle to Deer Creek Shooting Range near Putnamville this morning. Invested a vacation day and another significant amount of premium and EXPENSIVE .30.06 ammo trying to zero this scope. I had finally gotten some Winchester Deer Season .30-06 ammo and was also shooting the Federal 165 grain ammo. I shot the Federal ammo first at 100 yards, and actually had a fairly respectable group just to the right of the bullseye at 100 yards. The 5-shot group was maybe an inch and a ¼, or inch and ½. I was happy and expectant. I then loaded the Winchester 150 grain rounds into the rifle and slowly squeezed off a 5-shot group and my heart sank. The target looked again like it had been hit with buckshot. I talked with the range officer, and he felt the barrel of the rifle, and said the barrel was HOT, and I needed to let the barrel cool down in-between shots. SO, I changed out my target, shot a 3-shot group allowing about 10 minutes between shots, and the shots were STILL all over the target, and whenever I tried to adjust the point of impact, the scope seemed to over adjust like before. The range office, who says he is a gunsmith, oscillated between placing the blame on the hot barrel, the scope, and then, the rifle itself when he tried to slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock and could not, saying the barrel needed to be “free-floated”. I called and talked with MY gunsmith on the drive home, and he said neither hot barrel NOR the barrel not being free-floated should be causing the problems I`m seeing.

I`ve contacted Leupold and they said sent the scope back and they`ll install it on a rifle and shoot it to see if the recoil causes an issue. (Still waiting on the shipper label they promised si I`m not paying for shipping back to them). I`ve contacted Ruger, and still waiting to hear back from them, but I`m really thinking this is a scope problem and that Leupold should have just warrantied the scope and given me a new one.

What the thoughts of the rifle/long range shooting experts here? Why am I having this ongoing, continual problem? In all honesty, I`ve lost ALLL confidence in this scope and rifle combination. No matter what resolution comes to this, (IF one ever does), I really don`t even want this rifle and scope anymore. I likely don`t have any choice but to figure this out and hunt with it, IF I can ever figure out the issue, but I don`t want it anymore. I don`t have the time or patience to deal with this. And with what ammo costs today, I don`t know HOW many HUNDREDS of dollars I`ve spent already, trying to zero this rifle. I`ve never in my life had so much trouble trying to get a freaking rifle zeroed.

I don`t believe for a second that this is an option, but just on the VERY, VERY OFF chance that it would be an option to buy a NEW rifle, what rifle in .30-06 would you experts recommend if I could just start over and get a new rifle? Neither Remington nor Browning are rifles I`d consider and Winchester would be my dream rifle, a Winchester Model 70. But besides the Winchester Model 70, what would your suggestions be for a good bolt-action rifle?

More than likely, I`ve just got to get this problem figured out, and I`m guessing the scope is the problem, I think Leupold should have just sent me a new scope the last time, but time will tell I suppose.

I`m just so mentally and emotionally exhausted by this seemingly endless problem with this stupid rifle and scope. And I can`t in good conscience even try to sell it to someone with the issues it has, yet, I have too much money wrapped up in it to lose it. What do you all think?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Just out of curiosity, why would you not consider a Remington 700 (especially an older one)? It's a classic with a good reputation for accuracy.
    I don`t like Remington. They lied and covered up their issues with the Model 700, and I won`t deal with them. I don`t like their ethics, their quality, or anything about them.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Troubleshooting is a process of elimination sometimes. The quickest way, is to divide the problem in half, if you can. Otherwise, you're just "poking and hoping". Find which "half" of the system is at fault and keep dividing it down, until you find the culprit.

You've done a good job so far, but I suggest isolating the scope from the gun and see which one doesn't work to your satisfaction. It's also possible that both (the scope AND the rifle) don't work to your satisfaction. Testing both separately will help you discover this.

To test the scope, put the it on another rifle and perform a scope tracking test (box test) by shooting 3 rounds, move scope 10 moa left (without changing poa), shoot 3 rounds, move 10 moa up, shoot 3 rounds, move 10 moa right, shoot 3 rounds, move 10 moa down, shoot 3 rounds (shooting four corners of a square basically). There are many variations of this drill, but you essentially want to exercise the scope in all directions and see if it tracks as you'd expect. Doing this at 100 yards or so is a good distance.

To test the rifle, put a known-good scope on it and test it. Make sure scope mount is tight (to spec....using a torque wrench). Shoot it from sandbags. Getting a rifle to shoot under 1 moa with factory ammo can be a challenge if EVERYTHING isn't up to snuff. Could be the ammo velocity varies...could be the chamber of the rifle doesn't suit the ammo...could be the barrel rifling or crown has a defect...could be the stock is imparting pressure on the barrel, which throws off poi.

Don't give up. You'll get it figured out! At least the manufacturers are doing their best to help you find the issue, just use logic to divide and conquer.

p.s. Don't believe for a minute that just buying a new rifle and/or scope will fix the problem (unless you pay a premium price to a custom builder, with a proof target and recommended ammo). It could be that whatever new you will buy will also have issues or what you replace wasn't the problem from the beginning. If you absolutely hit a dead end, there are some manufacturers that now guarantee 1 moa or better on certain platforms (e.g. Bergara, Daniel Defense, Savage, Benelli, Tikka, etc.).

Last edited:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Troubleshooting is a process of elimination sometimes. The quickest way, is to divide the problem in half, if you can. Otherwise, you're just "poking and hoping". Find which "half" of the system is at fault and keep dividing it down, until you find the culprit.

You've done a good job so far, but I suggest isolating the scope from the gun and see which one doesn't work to your satisfaction. It's also possible that both (the scope AND the rifle) don't work to your satisfaction. Testing both separately will help you discover this.

To test the scope, put the it on another rifle and perform a scope tracking test (box test) by shooting 3 rounds, move scope 10 moa left (without changing poa), shoot 3 rounds, move 10 moa up, shoot 3 rounds, move 10 moa right, shoot 3 rounds, move 10 moa down, shoot 3 rounds (shooting four corners of a square basically). There are many variations of this drill, but you basically want to exercise the scope in all directions and see if it tracks as you'd expect. Doing this a 100 yards or so is a good distance.

To test the rifle, put a known-good scope on it and test it. Make sure scope mount is tight (to spec....using a torque wrench). Shoot it from sandbags. Getting a rifle to shoot under 1 moa with factory ammo can be a challenge if EVERYTHING isn't up to snuff. Could be the ammo velocity varies...could be the chamber of the rifle doesn't suit the ammo...could be the barrel rifling or crown has a defect...could be the stock is imparting pressure on the barrel, which throws off poi.

Don't give up. You'll get it figured out! At least the manufacturers are doing their best to help you find the issue, just use logic to divide and conquer.

p.s. Don't believe for a minute that just buying a new rifle and/or scope will fix the problem (unless you pay a premium price to a custom builder, with a proof target and recommended ammo). It could be that whatever new you will buy will also have issues or what you replace wasn't the problem from the beginning. If you absolutely hit a dead end, there are some manufacturers that now guarantee 1 moa or better on certain platforms (e.g. Bergara, Daniel Defense, Savage, Benelli, Tikka, etc.).
    I wish I had the resources, the time, and the patience to do everything you`ve suggested. It`s good, sound, logical thinking and I appreciate that. I just don`t have the resources or time to do all that. I don`t have another scope to put on the rifle, or the costly ammo to continue to pump through the damned thing.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I wish I had the resources, the time, and the patience to do everything you`ve suggested. It`s good, sound, logical thinking and I appreciate that. I just don`t have the resources or time to do all that. I don`t have another scope to put on the rifle, or the costly ammo to continue to pump through the damned thing.
    If you've got a .22lr rifle, you could put the scope on that and see how it tracks at 50 yards or so. Relatively cheap ammo and it might prove/disprove the scope as being problematic.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If you don't have the resources, the time, or patience, then it might be best to move away from this rifle ... let somebody else work through the progression.

Problem is, no matter what rifle and scope you finally settle upon, you must do the same thing in order to wring out the best in the combination. Finding DOPE (Data on Particular Equipment) takes time, patience, and resources ... period, end of story. Oh, and good note taking or else you might have to redo some of the work ... ask me how I know this.

I believe that you don't lack the resources, time, or patience ... you lack the heart. As you noted, this was an impulse purchase. I believe that you're subconsisously searching for a way out of the mess ... just let it go. Start over with a rifle and scope that you truly want and the process of acquiring DOPE will be more fun and joy and less of the the overall frustration that you've described.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If you don't have the resources, the time, or patience, then it might be best to move away from this rifle ... let somebody else work through the progression.

Problem is, no matter what rifle and scope you finally settle upon, you must do the same thing in order to wring out the best in the combination. Finding DOPE (Data on Particular Equipment) takes time, patience, and resources ... period, end of story. Oh, and good note taking or else you might have to redo some of the work ... ask me how I know this.

I believe that you don't lack the resources, time, or patience ... you lack the heart. As you noted, this was an impulse purchase. I believe that you're subconsisously searching for a way out of the mess ... just let it go. Start over with a rifle and scope that you truly want and the process of acquiring DOPE will be more fun and joy and less of the the overall frustration that you've described.
    No, it won`t be the same thing at all. I`m 64 years old. I`ve sighted in and zeroed MANY rifle/scope combinations, and NEVER had this ongoing problem. I have plenty of heart, but hey, thanks for your condescending and insulting reply. Perhaps you didn`t mean to be so rude, but honestly, I suspect you meant to be exactly that.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Have you checked the action screws and all the ring screws to make sure they are still tight? That's where I would start.
    " I was so frustrated. Someone I talked to said to check the action screws. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he said the action screws were loose. So loose that they could easily be turned. I got the factory specs from Ruger and he attempted to torque them to factory specifications. He was unable to get the front action screw to the Ruger spec of 90 Inch pounds, so, I sent the freaking rifle to Ruger. They were gracious enough to allow me to send the rifle to them with my scope attached. The tech polished the crown, installed new action screws and did a few other things too, as well as shooting the rifle. He said he got approximately an inch group at 50 yards shooting a 180 grain bullet, and got approximately a ½ group at 50 yards shooting a 150 grain bullet. They shipped it back to me, and my hope and expectations were high."

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    " I was so frustrated. Someone I talked to said to check the action screws. I took the rifle to my gunsmith and he said the action screws were loose. So loose that they could easily be turned. I got the factory specs from Ruger and he attempted to torque them to factory specifications. He was unable to get the front action screw to the Ruger spec of 90 Inch pounds, so, I sent the freaking rifle to Ruger. They were gracious enough to allow me to send the rifle to them with my scope attached. The tech polished the crown, installed new action screws and did a few other things too, as well as shooting the rifle. He said he got approximately an inch group at 50 yards shooting a 180 grain bullet, and got approximately a ½ group at 50 yards shooting a 150 grain bullet. They shipped it back to me, and my hope and expectations were high."
    I mean after your last session, after your group opened up again.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I mean after your last session, after your group opened up again.
    Nope. I just got the rifle back from Ruger, they torqued the brand new action screws to factory specs. Unfortunately, I have no gunsmithing tools, but yet, I know I need to check scope rings for tightness, and yes, even the action screws, but c`mon. I`ve sighted in and zeroed MANY rifles. I`ve NEVER had all this nonsense going on.
    I suspect the scope again. I love Leupold, and I`ve typically gotten really good customer service from them, but they admittedly found issues when I sent the scope back to them, and rather than replace the scope, they did extensive "repair" work and sent it back to me. Now, I`m seeing the same issues I saw before their "repair" work. I think they got cheap and it`s cost me a LOT of time, frustration, PTO, and a LOT of expensive premium ammunition.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Nope. I just got the rifle back from Ruger, they torqued the brand new action screws to factory specs. Unfortunately, I have no gunsmithing tools, but yet, I know I need to check scope rings for tightness, and yes, even the action screws, but c`mon. I`ve sighted in and zeroed MANY rifles. I`ve NEVER had all this nonsense going on.
    Ok, well you have fired it and that can cause things to loosen up. You have to start somewhere to diagnose the issue, nobody is going to be able to just give you a magic answer to fix the problem.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I have plenty of heart, but hey, thanks for your condescending and insulting reply. Perhaps you didn`t mean to be so rude, but honestly, I suspect you meant to be exactly that.
    Words cannot express how far from the mark you are here. The entirety of his suggestion should simply be read as: If it's not fun for you any more, ditch it. Life's too short.
    You may not find success with another rifle either, but they will likely be different problems. Perhaps ones you can easily solve.

Used firearms are like automobiles or dogs: if someone's selling it, it's not because it's working 100%
    Sometimes the process is quick & there's just a couple things that need attention. Others you end up breaking more than you fix.
    Missing the target will frustrate some (myself included) to no end, unless you really enjoy working the process.

I had a scope mount who's screws simply would not stay tight.
    Worked fine for 100rds of .22, but the heat cycles and leverage due to the small contact points would allow the base to move & POI to wander, but only between strings of fire! While rested or in position, the recoil wasn't enough to move the scope/base but adjusting position or reloading the tube and :bacondance: back over to the left.

If you want to stick with it, Hammer's plan to verify scope & rifle separately is really the only option to find some measure of success. There's all kinds of possibilities that could be in play, but you've got to narrow down which half needs attention or the time/money spent down that hole will make the ammo costs look like pocket change.
    Grab a cheepo RDS from amazon or a used scope from the classies. You just need something that will hold a zero.

EDIT: and I also realized that you assume that the scope or rifle was actually fixed when it arrived back in your hands. Perhaps it was (you mention one reasonable group), perhaps not :dunno: I believe that each company thought it was fixed, but it could have been drop-kicked at least 5 times between their door and yours.

Last edited:

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    I'm seeing a lot about the scope, zeroing, tightening, adjusting, different types of ammo, etc.
    This is just a shot in the dark, but what about the actual rifling ? You never mention cleaning the rifle regularly, I must assume you do. Are you sure it's not worn out, copperwashed, or corroded ? You state you had this rifle in the safe for years. What's that barrel bore look like ? The only reason I took interest is because my M77- MKII, in 30.06, is one of my go-to hunting rifles. Accurate in the extreme.

Did you ever clean the bore when you got it? My experience is when people lose interest in a firearm, many times, cleaning it, before the sale isn't a priority to them.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I’m with sloughfoot, somewhat.

It sounds like you need the help of a real person..IN PERSON with your rifle.

That person needs to be technically experienced, and they need to be somebody that can hammer with unfamiliar rifles, and tolerate the moderate recoil of the -06 long enough to find the problem(s). They also probably need to be good enough to watch YOU shoot and see what it is YOU might be jacking up.

There’s been some advice in this very thread that is incorrect, or at the least, COULD be dead ends.

E.g.: Scope box testing on lesser rifles. Dat don’t work guys. .30 Government has a way of persuading things that a .22 Long Rifle does not.

One example.

You need to find “that guy” or gal. They might be here, they might not, but just keep working the problems and asking questions and it will work out.

retyree98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    After all this, even if the problem is found and fixed, you will always be waiting for the next shoe to fall. This much frustration will never be forgotten. My advice would be to just sell the gun and replace it with something completely different. While I am normally a Ruger guy, it's rare I hear of a Savage 110 not being accurate out of the box. Leupold sounds like they tried, but ditch them for maybe a Nikon Prostaff. Good luck.

Top Bottom