• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    While sub MOA is great, I don't think it mandatory.
    My 7 mag 700 BDL was a 1.2" rig with the best handloads.
    First shot was where it was supposed to be.
    Only removed wood bump at bbl channel front. No other work.
    Good enough.
    Shoulda kept it :(
    Sold it to get a BDL.300winmag, that I bedded and free floated. Was a 1" rig w factory ammo.
    7 mag was more comfy though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I said screw it a while back and got a new Steyr Pro Hunter .30-06 for $600.
    Kinda funky/cool. Its a 1" rig w cheap WW 150's.
    Only ammo Ive shot in it so far.
    Did get a Recknagle base for 70 bucks.
    Extra mag and softer pad from MGW that was half the price of Midway.
    So 1200 total w VX3i 3.5-10X.
    Still a boring .30-06 that does 1". Yawn.

Which is what the manufacturer guaranteed.
    And partly why I bought it.

The new version is beyond ugly (Boyds wood). The original is ugly too, but in a good way LOL.
    Would not get a new one. Steyr marketing group is kinda pathetic.

If I didn't get this one, Id proly have gone Bergara.
    Even w my PH, I looked hard at a 7mm 08 Bergara.
    Decided to go 7mm 08 in specialty pistol instead.

;)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It depends on what exactly you're looking for in a Model 70. You won't find a collectible Pre 64' 70 for that price nor will you find a current controlled round feed Model 70 for that price. You can find push feed or what they call controlled round push feed Model 70s for under $600 and they are nice rifles, they just don't have the original Mauser style action that purists love. There are currently a couple Model 70's in .30-06 on Gunbroker for less than $500 though they both have plastic stocks(the Winchester plastic stocks are better than many). I've found the best times to shop for bolt guns are after hunting season and before elections when everyone is selling them off cheap to buy defensive firearms.

It takes more rounds of .30-06 than many will shoot in their lifetimes to shoot out a barrel and .30-06 is not a popular competition or frequent plinking round. Your chance of buying one with a shot out barrel is very small. Your chance of buying one that needs a good and thorough cleaning are pretty high though.

The bergara's are nice 700 clones but you are not likely to find one under $600, the only new Mausers that I've seen under $600 had cheap, plastic stocks that wouldn't be my first choice for a .30-06, and you likely won't touch a real CZ (a 550 as opposed to the cheapened 557) for less than $900. If you're married to a Mauser style action then a used, sporterized Mauser is your best bet in that price range.
    Hey, you mentioned that many rifles need a good, thorough cleaning...that begs the question, as far as the barrel, it should have a good brushing with solvent at least from time to time I would guess. I have a Dewey one-piece .30 caliber cleaning rod. Is a bronze brush what would be appropriate for giving the barrel a good cleaning, or would a different brush material be better?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I dig what you are saying, but a rifle that won't hold one MOA for 10 shots fired every 4 seconds loses my interest pretty fast. In my experience group location changes with different bullet weights. but group size is acceptable for all. Or none.

Hm. Specifically where would you have come up with that specific specification...?

hehehe

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Hey, you mentioned that many rifles need a good, thorough cleaning...that begs the question, as far as the barrel, it should have a good brushing with solvent at least from time to time I would guess. I have a Dewey one-piece .30 caliber cleaning rod. Is a bronze brush what would be appropriate for giving the barrel a good cleaning, or would a different brush material be better?
    Bronze brush is just fine. That is all I have ever used. Take the time to run lots of patches until you get a clean one. Always from the receiver to the muzzle of course.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bronze brush is just fine. That is all I have ever used. Take the time to run lots of patches until you get a clean one. Always from the receiver to the muzzle of course.

And do not. Do NOT. “Scrub”, reverse the brush direction while it’s in the bore, or bring it back across the crown.

Push it through, chamber to muzzle.

Take the brush off.

Remove and wipe the rod.

Put the brush back on.

Repeat.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    stop shooting 5 shot groups. its a hunting rifle with a standard contour barrell, not a bench rest competition bull barrell.
    the heat build up is probably what's opening up your groups. I went through the same thing years ago when I started rifle shooting. my 30-06 would put first 3 shots under 2 inches. shots 4 and 5 would open group to 4-5 inches. switched scopes, but same results. then a couple experienced shooters told me about barrel heat changing POI. after that, I only shot 3 shot groups, and all was well. just my :twocents:
    My dad's Savage 7mm Magnum has a light barrel. It definitely isn't made for long range sessions. It'll heat up after a few rds fired. I usually shot it in for him for hunting season. It's a nice old rifle and very accurate and lightweight.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    SNR in Plainfield has an older Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. I know nothing of these guns, nor this specific one. No idea what they want for it... but since some folks mentioned they were looking for them...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SNR in Plainfield has an older Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. I know nothing of these guns, nor this specific one. No idea what they want for it... but since some folks mentioned they were looking for them...

Post-64 push feed. Good actions, and architecturally more sound the the Savingtons, despite what many thought of them at the time.

Top Bottom