• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The tech polished the crown, installed new action screws and did a few other things too, as well as shooting the rifle. He said he got approximately an inch group at 50 yards shooting a 180 grain bullet, and got approximately a ½ group at 50 yards shooting a 150 grain bullet. They shipped it back to me, and my hope and expectations were high."

Is there any chance that the problem you are having is caused by the ammo you are trying to use? The factory said that the group doubled to 2moa when they went to 180gr. It seems to be very ammo sensitive.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    stop shooting 5 shot groups. its a hunting rifle with a standard contour barrell, not a bench rest competition bull barrell.
    the heat build up is probably what's opening up your groups. I went through the same thing years ago when I started rifle shooting. my 30-06 would put first 3 shots under 2 inches. shots 4 and 5 would open group to 4-5 inches. switched scopes, but same results. then a couple experienced shooters told me about barrel heat changing POI. after that, I only shot 3 shot groups, and all was well. just my :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Don't use a Lead sled or similar.
    Bipod off front stud and rear bag, or bags front and back.
    Leupold scope..........30-06 ought to have enough bump to settle adjustments, but maybe not.
    Tapping turrets is a thing.
    Proper bench form and a bit of time between shots.

Could be scope, or mounting system, or rifle, or any combination of these.

Very well could be shooter.

Ammo, even cheaper factory ammo ought to go sub 2" at 100.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Leupold scope..........30-06 ought to have enough bump to settle adjustments, but maybe not.

Is tapping turrets a thing with just Leopold scopes or does it apply to all modern production scopes?

I've heard of tapping turrets referenced years ago, but don't see folks doing it today at all?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Is tapping turrets a thing with just Leopold scopes or does it apply to all modern production scopes?

I've heard of tapping turrets referenced years ago, but don't see folks doing it today at all?
    I always tap, just to settle the adjustments in. Doesn't matter what brand scope. Just done it for years and it's habit now.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Some types of scope mechanisms benefit(ed) from it, and some are not affected by it...or shouldn’t be.

Some folks would benefit from it also, but most are unaffected by that, preferring to trust that their wallet will provide a sighting system that functions as designed.

That’s unfortunately not always the case.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Some types of scope mechanisms benefit(ed) from it, and some are not affected by it...or shouldn’t be.

Some folks would benefit from it also, but most are unaffected by that, preferring to trust that their wallet will provide a sighting system that functions as designed.

That’s unfortunately not always the case.
    Ain't that the truth.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Patience at the bench is a virtue, i have spent days tuning rifles and scopes, lapping rings fine tuning, I build my own competition rifles, I enjoy working on them and doing the testing, trouble shooting and all. i have 2 ruger 77 mk2's one in 30 06 and 243, they both are excellent shooting rifles, as to lighter barrels i tend not zero on extremely hot days as heat does have a large effect on accuracy when barrel is hot. Just have some patience work through it, looks like leopold is doing right by you on the scope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

It was one of the perks to shooting Leupolds back in the day LOL
    I have not needed to do it on any Freedom (4) or VX3i scopes (1).
    But on old M8 or Vari X, I'll do it.
    Varmint rigs, well crafted handloads..........burning em for no gain just sucked.

Im seriously thinking of going Zeiss or Swarovski, mid or low leve....l and ditching gold ring flat bill west coast stuff. Might go Nightforce on varmint rig.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive had two Leupolds bought new that would not adjust correctly. Could not get them to zero (not move far enough). Both were AO models. One was fixed and the other replaced. No problems zeroing in after.

Have had probably two dozen new and a dozen used Leupolds. One new one had some crud in it, sent back and came back fine. Another an odd halo thing at image perimeter. Dunno if that was design issue or what. So call it 4 funky rigs out of 36. Not very good %

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    M8 10X AO (#3 in .219 Dwasp) and a Mark AR Mod1 4-12X AO (700 in .243) to zero tomorrow.
    Like Leupold well enough, they have a classic look and are aesthetically the choice on old rigs.
    However, I'm getting cranky in my old age and tolerance for BS is gone.

Any nonsense tomorrow and there will be a purge.
    Might be calling Doug at Cameraland on Monday LOL

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    If you decide to get a different rifle, I would support the idea of a Savage 110. But, you don't have to take my word for it. A close friend of mine is a competitive shooter at 1000 yards. The optics at those competitions vary, but 80-90% of the rifles being shot are Savage. Just something to think about. I have a Savage 110 left-handed bolt that is my go to deer rifle. It is more accurate than I am. If I put it on a rest at a bench, and take my time, rounds often touch each other at 100 yards. I wish you well in your quest.

The biggest mistake I make is starting to long. When I zero a rifle, I shoot 3 rounds at 25 yards. Yes, 25 yards. When I punch out the same hole in the bullseye, I move to 50 and adjust to the desired height.

I would encourage you to shoot three at 25 yards. If all goes well, you have the confidence now to continue. If not, it is a lot easier to solve a problem at that range than 100.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad liked Savage. He was a lefty and had Penrod rebarrel one in .243 (its sitting in my safe).
    It was test fired and has sat the last 35 yrs LOL

Might do something with it, might not.
    Savages are easy to rebarrel (if utilizing the barrel nut system) but man they aint smooth.

They aint pretty either.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Sorry…but I do not agree with your perception.
    Oh, and you`re perfectly free to think otherwise. I read that Remington lied about their Model 700 problems, and people died as a result of the coverup. But I just don`t really care for Remington regardless. Kinda like a Ford/Chevy thing.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My dad liked Savage. He was a lefty and had Penrod rebarrel one in .243 (its sitting in my safe).
    It was test fired and has sat the last 35 yrs LOL

Might do something with it, might not.
    Savages are easy to rebarrel (if utilizing the barrel nut system) but man they aint smooth.

They aint pretty either.
    My go to is a Stevens branded Savage. I agree with the not smooth thing, but then I've never thought the 700 to be any smoother. Not like a Mauser or Mod 70 at least.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

I was shooting off a Caldwell Tackdriver. I`ve asked Leupold techs about tapping the scope, and they`ve all told me that does nothing to aid the scope adjustment.

Here`s the thing, the first 5-shot group was a decent group, then after that, just like before the scope went back to Leupold, the shots were all over the target and the scope adjustments didn`t react as they should. Scope is going back to Leupold AGAIN.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If you decide to get a different rifle, I would support the idea of a Savage 110. But, you don't have to take my word for it. A close friend of mine is a competitive shooter at 1000 yards. The optics at those competitions vary, but 80-90% of the rifles being shot are Savage. Just something to think about. I have a Savage 110 left-handed bolt that is my go to deer rifle. It is more accurate than I am. If I put it on a rest at a bench, and take my time, rounds often touch each other at 100 yards. I wish you well in your quest.

The biggest mistake I make is starting to long. When I zero a rifle, I shoot 3 rounds at 25 yards. Yes, 25 yards. When I punch out the same hole in the bullseye, I move to 50 and adjust to the desired height.

I would encourage you to shoot three at 25 yards. If all goes well, you have the confidence now to continue. If not, it is a lot easier to solve a problem at that range than 100.
    I`d be open to a Savage 110. I was kinda dreaming of a Winchester Model 70. What does a new Savage 110 go for?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have purchased three Freedom and one VX3i and they adjusted fine (although adjustments werent the most crisp on the Freedoms, the vert on the VX3i was crisp, the horiz was mush).
    They all dialed in and held zero for the few rounds they got.

Vari X and M8 series....., yeah I chased zero too many times, and tapping helped stop that crap.

FWIW Leupold did a web deal w folks on another forum a while back and it was reportedly a disaster.

Leupold techs and CNBC....fountains of truth LOL

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Oh, and you`re perfectly free to think otherwise. I read that Remington lied about their Model 700 problems, and people died as a result of the coverup. But I just don`t really care for Remington regardless. Kinda like a Ford/Chevy thing.
    No worries and we are all free to our own opinions but for the record the 200 year old American company has brought me a lot of joy, fun and security in my 50 years plus of using Remington Products. CBS and their entertainment program ( Shifty Minutes) rode the story until all casual gun owners believed it. Fact is, in every accident I studied with the 700 user error was more to blame than faulty design. Just like all gun accidents. Whether it be the Colt SAA, Glock takedown requirements, the Ruger 10 round limit trade off, or Fitz revolver modification, it’s people and their ignorance of handling guns. If the modern anti gun socialites that want to continue putting all our great industrial manufacturers out of business because of not sharing any responsibility, then I for one am glad to be in the autumn of my life. It is sad however, my grandkids (who never had issues with Remington Products either) will continue to see demise of these historic companies. Then again, I guess no one ever hurt themself with a joy stick.

Top Bottom