• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It was repaired very quickly and without cost to me, kind of disappointing when you consider the cost but **** happens.

thats the thing. ANY optic can have defects from the factory. its impossible to get them all 100%, what sets companies like uso, s&b, nf (others) appart is how they deal with the problem if it occurs. leupold will tell you "it meets our standards" uso says "we will make it right"

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Well, I decided to sell the Leupold and replace it with a Super Sniper SS20X42... Temporarily. I've been reading the rave reviews about how this scope is built far better than its prices suggests, and now I have to agree. The S20X42 will allow me to practice precise tracking and ranging, that I just could not do with the Leupold. I have to say that this scope just plain rocks!

My buddy and I took our rifles to the range today to get the Super Sniper zeroed and to compare the optics to his Bushnell Elite 6500. We both agreed that the Super Sniper could discern more detail on the targets than the Leupold or Bushnell. The SS20X42 could clearly make out lettering that the Bushnell showed as illegible blurs.

After firing 5 bore sighting and zeroing shots, I went on to fire the only group of the day, which as done by tracking off of the target and tracking back between each shot. The SS20X42 kept a perfect zero, even though it was being tracked like mad... I was stunned at how the zero was perfectly maintained. Each hole in the target below was shot between major tracking moves. We both had to get back to family events for the holidays. Below is the 100-yard 5 shot group that measured an awesome 0.256 MOA.

The SS20X42 is just the warm-up act for my next big scope purchase. I have finally decided on the final scope for this stick. I will be ordering the new March-F 3-24X42 FFP Tactical scope in April. This new scope will be introduced at Shot Show 2011 and will be shipping in April.

5shotssgroup256moa.jpg

My R700 Police with new glasses:
    700pss20x.jpg

My future scope:
    fml13x24xmarchreticle.jpg

Hanging Chad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Wow! I am really wanting that rifle. I have a couple of decent rifles, but nithing that shoots like that. I do have a buddy that bought a GAP rifle that may not shoot as well as your Remmy, and he paid almost 5K for his rig including optics. Well done sir!

Hey INGO members, we need to get this fellow Hoosier to the top of his photo competition. He is running in third place. Maybe if we all pull together we can get him to number ONE!

Check out his contest link:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/133542-fellow_ingo_members_i_need_your_vote.html

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    IF I may ask, what pi-pod do you have on your Remington, and what are you doing for a scope? I have an ADL 30-06 that I am trying to get set up. I have yet to even fire a round out of it I can only hope to get mine set that good. I like your idea on using the dime. D*^m good shooting!!!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The weather finally broke here in Northern Indiana, so I took advantage of it after work today. I headed to the range to with the goal of finally testing the precision of my 700P, which just received a new bedding job, and of course the new SS20x42 scope. The results were nothing short of spectacular! I only had time for a single 5-shot group before heading home for dinner, but the result was a personal best (5-shot)! My previous best 5-shot group at 100 yards was a cluster that measured .230 MOA... This masterpiece was a minuscule 0.191" CTC or 0.182 MOA!!!

To say the least, I am very pleased with both my rifle and scope. For just a little more than a grand, I have a rig that shoots as well of better than many custom rigs that cost many time more. Now I just need to find a range that will let this rig stretch its legs.

best5shot0182moa.jpg

5shot0182moacalipers.jpg

700pss20xsmall.jpg

Please vote for the picture above in the SWFA photo contest. Please vote for Greg Glass - Contest Entries

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Excellent shooting! Besides the bedding have you done any other tuning to the rifle? I have one of the early 700 PSSs that I've had for years and other than a Leupold MK 4 and bipod it remains as it came from the factory.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Who did your bedding job? Was it a local shop? Also what type of bedding job, scim, glass?

I did the bedding job myself. Since the HS Precision stock has the aluminim bedding block with embedded pillars, the bedding is a skim bedding. The bedding material is Devcon Steel Putty 10110.

I have done four of these bedding jobs this Winter and each has come out great. The most important part of the bedding job is the preparation. If you do the prep work right, the rest is cake.

I will do a writeup with pics and post it in the reviews section in a few days.

Thanks for the good words guys.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Excellent shooting! Besides the bedding have you done any other tuning to the rifle? I have one of the early 700 PSSs that I've had for years and other than a Leupold MK 4 and bipod it remains as it came from the factory.

I have tuned the 40X Trigger, via the trigger pull adjustment screw. With all of the reports of Remington 700 unintentional misfires, I just don't want to temp fate by adjusting the trigger over-travel or sear engagement screws. Who know, I may have to sell this rifle one day, and I just couldn't do that to the buyer. If I ever need to reduce the weight lower than the 2.5lb 40X trigger, I'll just install a Timney.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    I did the bedding job myself. Since the HS Precision stock has the aluminim bedding block with embedded pillars, the bedding is a skim bedding. The bedding material is Devcon Steel Putty 10110.

I have done four of these bedding jobs this Winter and each has come out great. The most important part of the bedding job is the preparation. If you do the prep work right, the rest is cake.

I will do a writeup with pics and post it in the reviews section in a few days.

Thanks for the good words guys.

That would be great if you could post a how to! I have been looking at doing a bedding job on my 700P but have been a little leery for fear of messing it up. The groupings were pretty decent then I chopped the barrel to 20in and they got a little smaller, but want to get it around the .25 MOA range and bedding seems to be the next step. What would you say was your cost for the job?

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Bravo mate. I need to give more lovin to my rem 700 in .300 win mag, but I cant find a range to will allow me to shoot it there :-(

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    That would be great if you could post a how to! I have been looking at doing a bedding job on my 700P but have been a little leery for fear of messing it up. The groupings were pretty decent then I chopped the barrel to 20in and they got a little smaller, but want to get it around the .25 MOA range and bedding seems to be the next step. What would you say was your cost for the job?

The entire cost is somewhere around $50 as long as you don't have to buy any additional tools.

This is the list of items needed:
    • 2 Eggs of silly putty (Works way better than modeling clay)
    • Roll of masking tape
    • 1 tub of Johnson Paste Wax or release agent of your choice (do not use auto wax's)
    • Devcon Steel Putty 10110 ( Devcon Plastic Steel Bedding Compound Putty 1 lb - MidwayUSA )
    • Sandpaper (100 grit or less for roughening surfaces)
    • Acetone or degreaser of your choice

Tools Needed:
    • Drill (making holes in the bedding block)
    • Dremmel (for trimming and cleanup)
    • TorQ Srewdriver (for torquing the barrel to stock to 60 in/lbs when done)

All of this will be spelled out and expanded when I do my review.

Good luck with your bedding job.

Last edited:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Today was my second day at the range with my 700P. Man that is a sweet shooting gun. I did bed my scope rail like you told me too. I was shooting the federal GMM, and some reloads made with the 168SMK, lake city long range brass and 42gr of IMR 4064. I couldn't tell any difference in the performance or point of impact of the two.

I'm not ready to go dime for dime with you yet, but with a little more practice we'll see!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Today was my second day at the range with my 700P. Man that is a sweet shooting gun. I did bed my scope rail like you told me too. I was shooting the federal GMM, and some reloads made with the 168SMK, lake city long range brass and 42gr of IMR 4064. I couldn't tell any difference in the performance or point of impact of the two.

I'm not ready to go dime for dime with you yet, but with a little more practice we'll see!

That's good to hear. What kind of groups were you getting?

It's too bad that you playground is so far from my playground.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    That's good to hear. What kind of groups were you getting?

It's too bad that you playground is so far from my playground.

My best group was something like 1/2". I didn't measure any of them because I could tell that I wasn't 100% solid. Most of my groups were 2 holes touching, and a 3rd that was 3/4" off. I need to make up a proper squeeze bag and practice more.

Yeah, no joke on the distance. I'd like to watch you shoot and pick you brain some more.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    personally i think sub moa (especially .1xx moa) is harder @ 100 yds than say 300 yds. mabye its because i cant shoot groups from a bench at all. for me to get a decent group i have to be prone. you guys should go out to further range, you numbers may get better

moea222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Remington makes an middle of the line gun. I have shotguns. they are good functional guns. not the top of the line quality, but very function.

Top Bottom