• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Kicking around the idea of getting an AR. First off, I know very LITTLE about them. I've never even shot one, but I think I "need" one.:rolleyes:

I've been looking at several and I've narrowed down my search to two that are in my price range. They are the Olympic Arms K3B, or the K3BCAR. I can't really say why, but I have unless someone can tell me why not. Any major problems with Olympic Arms AR's?

I am not a soldier, don't play one on TV so having the "ultimate" AR isn't a concern to me. I simply want one the is in my price range and reliable.

Looking for AR owners input. Thanks!:yesway:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    i am in the same boat as yourself, but due to this economic bullcrap we are in, i cant really afford one due to not having a job since june, but i would love to own one. hope it works out for yourself!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Kicking around the idea of getting an AR. First off, I know very LITTLE about them. I've never even shot one, but I think I "need" one.:rolleyes:

I've been looking at several and I've narrowed down my search to two that are in my price range. They are the Olympic Arms K3B, or the K3BCAR. I can't really say why, but I have unless someone can tell me why not. Any major problems with Olympic Arms AR's?

I am not a soldier, don't play one on TV so having the "ultimate" AR isn't a concern to me. I simply want one the is in my price range and reliable.

You can't go wrong with an AR-15:rockwoot:These rifle will shoot as good as any rifle you'll ever shot & there are endless after market parts & option:twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I would skip Olympic and go Delton or Spikes.

I've read too many horror stories about Olympic and their customer service. I may order a Del-ton 20 inch rifle this week. :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've been looking at several and I've narrowed down my search to two that are in my price range. They are the Olympic Arms K3B, or the K3BCAR.

In that price range, you should also consider the DPMS Sportical and Oracle, the S&W M&P-15 Sport, and the various flavors of Stag Arms. Spikes guns also fall into the upper end of that spectrum (low $800s), but can be hard to get; they are currently running about a 5-week lead time.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    In that price range, you should also consider the DPMS Sportical and Oracle, the S&W M&P-15 Sport, and the various flavors of Stag Arms. Spikes guns also fall into the upper end of that spectrum (low $800s), but can be hard to get; they are currently running about a 5-week lead time.

Are you saying you would prefer these over the Olympic Arms? Only real negative thing I read about Olympic is the magazines fit tight, and a few complain about their customer service. Are there any real problems with Olympic?:dunno:

I NEED to learn about these weapons!:yesway:

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    I have found that a few visits to some local Pawn shops fair to be reasonable. If l may also suggest plan a trip to the INDY 1500 that is going on this month. There are lots of dealers that are also very helpful. I too have no working knowledge of the AR, but I am being schooled by my son who is a MARINE. Seper FI

Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm not an expert, but I do know that now is the time to buy. The hype drove prices up a few years ago and now the market has softened on these. I bought an unfired NIB Bushmaster for 800 and since my purchase I have seen a few for 750 ish. Be patient and you will find a good deal. They are fun to shoot and you won't be disappointed.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    You just have to think what you want on your AR-15, like how long the barrel, what type of sights A1, A2, or flat-top. There are so many things you could do to an AR-15, you can even change calibers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shot competition with a guy with a stock olympic arms rifle. The rifle was very capable. He was an NRA sharpshooter but I spotted for him and coached him to a Master level score at 600 yard slow fire during the Ohio State championships. The only thing that was strange was it appeared the rifle had 1/4 MOA clicks for windage and 1/2 MOA clicks for elevation. Since we were on the range I ddn'y have time to put a dial indiacator on it to double check. There are a lot of good AR chassis rifles out there. For me, after one Colt HBAR, every other lower has been a Bushmaster only because you cannot fit a Jewel trigger to a Colt with its extra block and the big pins are a problem. Good Luck

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

We've all been there. ;)

A good place to start is here: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

After reading that, you should have a better idea of what to look for when searching for an AR.

I've been looking at several and I've narrowed down my search to two that are in my price range.

What exactly is your price range?

Does your budget include things like magazines, ammo, or accessories? Or is your current budget just for the rifle itself?

How would you most often use this rifle? Plinking trips to the range? Target shooting at 250+ yards? Home/property defense?

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there

OK I bought my first AR about a month ago and it is an Olympic Arms K16. I got it off of a guy at work for $500! I couldn't pass it up for the price. He put a collapsible stock, scope and bipod on it before he decided he needed money more.
    Like I said my first AR and I don't get where so many people put down the Oly's. I have put around 300 trouble free rounds down the pipe and it is one of the coolest guns I have ever owned. This summer I plan to get a different bbl/upper as I am not a real big fan of the really heavy bbl.
    Go on Armslist and Hoosier Topics and look around if your not afraid to buy used.
    Good luck on the AR hunt and I love my Oly :D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't get where so many people put down the Oly's. I have put around 300 trouble free rounds down the pipe and it is one of the coolest guns I have ever owned. /quote]

just do a google search. Oly may be making decent rifles now, but that hasn't always been the case. For me, it just wasn't worth the risk when buying a new rifle. I might buy one if i was able to get a killer deal on it.

And 300 rounds is a drop in the bucket.:ar15:

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I don't get where so many people put down the Oly's. I have put around 300 trouble free rounds down the pipe and it is one of the coolest guns I have ever owned. /quote]

just do a google search. Oly may be making decent rifles now, but that hasn't always been the case. For me, it just wasn't worth the risk when buying a new rifle. I might buy one if i was able to get a killer deal on it.

And 300 rounds is a drop in the bucket.:ar15:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I do like the Oly and 300 rds is a lot for me. I guess I have a life and don't have time to put 50,000 rds a month through a rifle.

Top Bottom