• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I do like the Oly and 300 rds is a lot for me. I guess I have a life and don't have time to put 50,000 rds a month through a rifle.

you didn't hurt my feelings at all. I apparently hurt yours though. :n00b:

you made a statement about not understanding why Oly has a bad reputation. All I said was that the answer to that question is available.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I guess I have a life and don't have time to put 50,000 rds a month through a rifle.

I don't believe LPMan was meaning to offend you. I think he was merely suggesting that, in the grand scheme of "rifle life", 300 rounds isn't a significant round count to properly diagnose potential problems in regards to reliability and longevity.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't believe LPMan was meaning to offend you. I think he was merely suggesting that, in the grand scheme of "rifle life", 300 rounds isn't a significant round count to properly diagnose potential problems in regards to reliability and longevity.

this.

I never intended to offend anyone. My apologies.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    We've all been there. ;)

A good place to start is here: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

After reading that, you should have a better idea of what to look for when searching for an AR.

What exactly is your price range?

Does your budget include things like magazines, ammo, or accessories? Or is your current budget just for the rifle itself?

How would you most often use this rifle? Plinking trips to the range? Target shooting at 250+ yards? Home/property defense?

I read "so you want to buy an AR, huh? ALOT of info but seemed to lean more to "buying the best" of everything. Just me maybe?:dunno:

My price range is $800 tops, no more. Saving the money now just to purchase the rifle, extra mags and a stockpile of ammo will come later. Kind of leaning towards a carbine.

I plan on having one for plinking (can you "plink" with an AR?):n00b: target shooting, and if needed defense. Not a tin foil hat type, but IF things do go south we will get out of Indy and head to a farm my wife's family owns. Something I hope never happens though, but I'd like to have something more than a handgun, a 10/22, a .44 mag bolt rifle or muzzleloader.

I'm in no hurry, so I have time to ask questions, and decide which one is best for me. Hopefully I can get the chance to actually shoot one. Kind of hard around here since there are no ranges close that allow AR's.

I appreciate all the input so far.:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I read "so you want to buy an AR, huh? ALOT of info but seemed to lean more to "buying the best" of everything. Just me maybe?:dunno:

Yes, but if you know the "best", then you'll know a good deal (or a not-so-good deal) when you see one.

My price range is $800 tops, no more. Saving the money now just to purchase the rifle, extra mags and a stockpile of ammo will come later. Kind of leaning towards a carbine.

Have you seen the $799 Spike's Tactical M4? There's a long wait-time, but they've got all the mil-spec goodies you just read about for under $800.

Here is my review on it: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew_spike_s_tactical_st-15_m4_le_carbine.html

I plan on having one for plinking (can you "plink" with an AR?):n00b: target shooting, and if needed defense. Not a tin foil hat type, but IF things do go south we will get out of Indy and head to a farm my wife's family owns. Something I hope never happens though, but I'd like to have something more than a handgun, a 10/22, a .44 mag bolt rifle or muzzleloader.

Sounds good to me. Anytime you're looking for something that may one day be saving your hide, I'd put a premium on reliability over other factors.

I'm in no hurry, so I have time to ask questions, and decide which one is best for me. Hopefully I can get the chance to actually shoot one. Kind of hard around here since there are no ranges close that allow AR's.

I appreciate all the input so far.:yesway:

Having time on your side is nice, as it gives you ample opportunity to learn from other people's experiences (or mistakes, in some cases).

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    You wanna talk ARs? You know where I work; stop by anytime!

I'll vouch for this. I shopped Bradis, and shooter521 was generous with the information (even when the store was packed with people), and easily fielded any question I could come up with ("what does it mean when they say the barrel is stress-relieved?"; "if I want to switch to free-floating handguards, can I do that with the Spike's Tactical M4"?).

esrice's review (and advice) helped with my decision-making, too. My Spike's M4 is now enroute (purchased at Bradis).

1911_Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Plainfield
    HI. im not as knowledgeable as probably every one that has posted so far but i would just like to say if you are looking for an AR to "plink" with i recommend the oly plinker plus. i picked one up back in January from bradis for a really good price. well under 800. i finally got to take it out plinking about 2 weeks ago and it worked great. Granted 150 rounds isnt a whole lot (yet) but it gave me a good idea of how the weapon functioned. i personally feel that olympic makes a great firearm and i look forward to long days of shooting mine. my father has an olympic stamp from '06 and its a little loose but he has never had an issue with. my cousin has a stag and he said if he knew mine was going to be as reliable as it was he would have got one of those and saved some money. every one has their own opinion of other brands mine is the oly is a great gun.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    If your budget is $800, simply piece your stuff together. Stripped forged lowers these days go for under $100. Any brand will do (stag, spikes, mega, etc. they're all produced from 1 of like 4 different CNC shops). Or you can buy a complete lower, just make sure the buffer tube is mil-spec (as opposed to commercial-- this will save you the trouble of finding parts if you decide you want a more tacticool stock later down the road). Mid-range uppers I would definitely recommend what everyone else is suggesting-- spikes, CMMG, DTI/del-ton all great choices. Again, I recommend going w/ a KISS rifle to begin with. That way you learn to shoot your irons and can consistently perform well with them (they are your lifeline). Later on, when your skill level and wallet dictates, you can add accessories (optics, rails, lights, etc.) that fit the kind of rifle that fits your needs. Start trolling ar15.com and riverofguns.com for parts. They are dime-a-dozen and good, inexpensive parts go quick. Good luck!!

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    If your budget is $800, simply piece your stuff together. Stripped forged lowers these days go for under $100. Any brand will do (stag, spikes, mega, etc. they're all produced from 1 of like 4 different CNC shops). Or you can buy a complete lower, just make sure the buffer tube is mil-spec (as opposed to commercial-- this will save you the trouble of finding parts if you decide you want a more tacticool stock later down the road). Mid-range uppers I would definitely recommend what everyone else is suggesting-- spikes, CMMG, DTI/del-ton all great choices. Again, I recommend going w/ a KISS rifle to begin with. That way you learn to shoot your irons and can consistently perform well with them (they are your lifeline). Later on, when your skill level and wallet dictates, you can add accessories (optics, rails, lights, etc.) that fit the kind of rifle that fits your needs. Start trolling ar15.com and riverofguns.com for parts. They are dime-a-dozen and good, inexpensive parts go quick. Good luck!!

I don't think I want to go the "build my own route". First off I have no idea what to buy, and I sure don't have a clue how to put one together.:rolleyes:

I'll buy a complete rifle when I decide which one I want. The Spikes Tactical M4 looks/sounds nice.:yesway:

I guess when I get off work Saturday at noon I'll head out and start looking at some. Shooter521, most likely I'll be paying you a visit!:D

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I would strongly recommend considering an Armalite. They invented the things; AR stands for Armalite as they say LOL. I love mine, and have not run across anyone who doesn't. You can get a basic M4 style for a little over $800

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have been looking at alot of AR manufacture's websites. So far I "like" the Olympic and Spike. I'll check out the Armalite site too.

BTW, any opinions on Doublestar?:dunno:

I've built two of those lowers using Del-ton LPK. Nice finish but a little darker and shiny compared to most lowers. All the holes were perfect. The mag weels were good & pmags dropped free. The grip width was a little wide making it hard to install a Magpul grip.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    go on the classifieds or go to a gunshow and pickup a lower, it probably wont matter what kind. go to Bravo Company BCM M16 Government 20 Upper Receiver Group $400. Add a bolt carrier group BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16 $140
    and pick up some handguards, $20 maybe, charging handle $22, and a rear sight, $30-60 and you will have a rifle the envy of many. At least thats what ive been told spending the past couple years on AR15.com ;)
    Depending on the cost of a lower this would be a great rifle in the $800 range, probably better than most and putting the handguards on is easy, the rest is cake, no different than a field strip.:)

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    ^^ Assembling an AR from complete parts is cakewalk--there are literally 2 pins and holes you need to align to assemble. If you're afraid of having to deal with all the small parts of a LPK (lower parts kit) then just buy a complete lower and have it shipped to your FFL (the lower is what's considered the firearm)-- all parts including fire control group, trigger, buffer tube/spring, stock, safety, magazine release will already be assembled.

Again, if you don't want to match a barrel with a receiver and put together a BCG (bolt carrier group), bolt, charging handle... buy a complete upper that satisfies your requirements! The beautiful thing about ARs is they're so modular and so easily customizable that buying a complete rifle then changing the things you don't like/want/need is kind of a waste of money.

Take your time to research and understand the system and the price, it's a big investment. $800 for anything is a lot of money. Hope this helps! Ask any of us when you have questions.
    References for some cheap parts I found for you:
    LOWER
    Model ZM4 Complete Lower Receiver With Mil-Spec Stock Assembly - DSZM4R2-D S Arms

UPPERS
    Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Barrel Assemblies - 16" Barrel Assemblies
    AR15/M4 Complete Uppers
    AR15 M4 Barreled Upper Receiver Group
    Pick your poison in terms of gas system, chrome/non chrome lining, BCG, etc.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    This was my 1st rifle when it was in KISS form. Stag complete lower, Magpul MOE pistol grip, CMMG 16" gov't profile 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel, MATECH rear BUIS (back up iron sight), Surefire M73 rail, Knights handguards and VFG (vertical front grip). Overall, I spent just over $900. Keep in mind I purchased this during O'bama-scare so expect to pay about $1-200 less for an identical setup.
    Picture046.jpg

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Smartgunner.com has some really good deals on Daniel Defense. He is mostly out of stock right now (unless you order a custom upper receiver build with an ETA of 4-6 weeks).

Today I ordered a daniel defense 1x7 twist govt. profile barrel with an Omega 9.0 mid-length handguard, YHM front flash hider, low profile front sight and daniel defense reciever (no bolt assembly) for $674 and that included shipping.

Will buy a complete aero precision lower for $200 online then have to find some sights.

I think I built a very good quality AR for my budget of $1,000.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    My recommendatino (as a new AR owner) is to find one used one in good condition that has the features that you want. if you want a bone stock one, then so be it.

You will probably know what you want on it after a few times shooting it. I found one that I loved for a little more than I was planning on spending for the rifle, but it had the extras on it that I would have eventually put on it. This saved me time, money, and hassle.

I got to shoot it for the first time this week and I am still smileing from ear to ear.

AR's are great, you can make them yours, and you can do a lot with them.

If possible shoot a few different setups and then decide.

Top Bottom