• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Just gotta ask... If the range is that bad and the other using it are THAT dangerous, why go back?

Because it can be fixed.. And it's 11 miles from my weekday home.
    Because it could be a very nice club, with leadership that puts in place sound safety practices along with good management. The board has zero business knowledge and expects members to be self managing. You play with firearms there has to be firm rules in place and a membership / board that stands behind them. This club could easily run different matches at least twice a month and make money, there has been two appleseeds there this year both were full, the second one had 30 shooters.. I had to fight to get them to allow AS.
    This clubs bylaws state that if the club can be of any help to any Conservation effort its supposed to do everything in its power to help.. It does nothing as of now for Conservation.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Because it can be fixed.. And it's 11 miles from my weekday home.
    Because it could be a very nice club, with leadership that puts in place sound safety practices along with good management. The board has zero business knowledge and expects members to be self managing. You play with firearms there has to be firm rules in place and a membership / board that stands behind them. This club could easily run different matches at least twice a month and make money, there has been two appleseeds there this year both were full, the second one had 30 shooters.. I had to fight to get them to allow AS.
    This clubs bylaws state that if the club can be of any help to any Conservation effort its supposed to do everything in its power to help.. It does nothing as of now for Conservation.

Fair enough.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Full on churchmouse is not something you want to be on the receiving end of.

Okay, since nobody else sees the alarming progression this statement indicates...

first we have the non-funny "Never go full 'tard" in a regrettable Stiller/Downey/Black film. Then the (somewhat) inevitable "Never go full Yeager"

Anyone else want to know what "Going churchmouse" is like?

KIDDING, CHURCH!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Okay, since nobody else sees the alarming progression this statement indicates...

first we have the non-funny "Never go full 'tard" in a regrettable Stiller/Downey/Black film. Then the (somewhat) inevitable "Never go full Yeager"

Full Churchmouse is kinda like the Yeager only with less tattoos and shoulder twitching. Oh and The CM hates Glocks instead of 1911s. So in the end Full Churchmouse is really the opposite of a Full Yeager.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    At Point Blank in Carmel right now. Nobody knows anything of any NDs or employee injured today. The guy I talked to however, did say there was in fact an ND that occurred in shop a week ago imvolving a man unloading at the counter, but no employees were injured.

Further details:

A man brought a rental gun out from the range into the shop claiming it had jammed. An employee tried clearing it, then the ND occurred. That employee and one other (presumably the RSO at the time) were subsequently let go. The lady I spoke to said they were "two good employees" who had a lapse in judgement moment.
    WTH is someone doing bringing a loaded/jammed rental gun from the range into the shop area for in the first place? Proper safe decorum would be to set the loaded/jammed firearm down, pointed down range and then go notify the appropriate personnel of the situation.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    WTH is someone doing bringing a loaded/jammed rental gun from the range into the shop area for in the first place? Proper safe decorum would be to set the loaded/jammed firearm down, pointed down range and then go notify the appropriate personnel of the situation.

A lot of people new to shooting don't know what to do when a jam or malfunction happens. Until someone is informed of how to handle that situation, it's not always apparent. To people who have been around firearms it's second nature, but to those new to the sport it isn't. I can't recall if any of the safety briefings / videos I've seen at any of the ranges I've been to have covered this, but it would be good, if not, for it to be added. It also wouldn't hurt for range staff to let obviously new shooters know of this, so they understand how to handle a situation like that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A lot of people new to shooting don't know what to do when a jam or malfunction happens. Until someone is informed of how to handle that situation, it's not always apparent. To people who have been around firearms it's second nature, but to those new to the sport it isn't. I can't recall if any of the safety briefings / videos I've seen at any of the ranges I've been to have covered this, but it would be good, if not, for it to be added. It also wouldn't hurt for range staff to let obviously new shooters know of this, so they understand how to handle a situation like that.
    Proper protocol on how to safely handle a malfunction should definitely be added, if not already and vigorously stressed as one of the fundamental points.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

KIDDING, CHURCH!

Full Churchmouse is kinda like the Yeager only with less tattoos and shoulder twitching. Oh and The CM hates Glocks instead of 1911s. So in the end Full Churchmouse is really the opposite of a Full Yeager.

*sigh*

i was hoping it was like this:

View attachment 41917

:laugh:

As long as there's a bacon double cheeseburger on the other end, whocares?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Anyone hear about the ND shooting at Point Blank? Story I got was guy came from range, to front counter, and said, WHILE POINTING GUN AT EMPLOYEE " I have a problem with my gun" Somehow an employee got shot and bullet bounced off the walls. Anyone?

Range officers are basically running a day care. Maybe it's one them story's like parents tell their kids to keep them from getting in trouble. Heard a few about gun disasters growing up. Better than don't do that from my experience.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    At Applied Ballistics, each new shooter has to watch a safety film before being allowed to rent a lane. When I did the training I would personally add verbal reinforcement to the video. The whole muzzle ALWAYS pointed to the target, ONLY handle the firearm when in the stall. LEAVE a jammed gun on the table and come get help. I tried to really drive the point home. 15 minutes later I would be watching in the video monitor and people would be walking around behind other shooters with a pistol in their hand, racking the slide on a fresh magazine while pointed at others, etc. It was like babysitting. And they were not all young pups. I do not know why people have such a hard time learning simple proceedures. It took constant vigilance. The current managment continues to keep reminding people to think and act in a safe manor.

Stan suggested we should carry batons like firing line MP's on base. Screw up there, and one grabs the weapon while the other clocks you with a stick. He said most offenders learn to do right after a single correction.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    At Applied Ballistics, each new shooter has to watch a safety film before being allowed to rent a lane. When I did the training I would personally add verbal reinforcement to the video. The whole muzzle ALWAYS pointed to the target, ONLY handle the firearm when in the stall. LEAVE a jammed gun on the table and come get help. I tried to really drive the point home. 15 minutes later I would be watching in the video monitor and people would be walking around behind other shooters with a pistol in their hand, racking the slide on a fresh magazine while pointed at others, etc. It was like babysitting. And they were not all young pups. I do not know why people have such a hard time learning simple proceedures. It took constant vigilance. The current managment continues to keep reminding people to think and act in a safe manor.

Stan suggested we should carry batons like firing line MP's on base. Screw up there, and one grabs the weapon while the other clocks you with a stick. He said most offenders learn to do right after a single correction.

Perhaps cattle prods or Tasers on a selfie stick would speed up the training process. I see people all the time who treat a loaded weapon like it was a flashlight

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Perhaps cattle prods or Tasers on a selfie stick would speed up the training process. I see people all the time who treat a loaded weapon like it was a flashlight

Oh I know. Never been a range officer, just seen them in action. Wait a sec, yes, I've done some yelling before in "citizens range officer" position before. Could it be the excitement of firing a gun? ADD/GF, Attention Deficit Disorder Gun Firing. Seen guys just take off down range to check out their targets while the guy next to him is still blazing away.:n00b:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Crap.....I got this mixed up with the range in Avon.....My bad.......:(

While we are on the subject, as of Oct. 1 Parabellum no longer allows ANY firearm on the shelf at the back wall, unless it has a chamber flag or is in a case.. All loading and unloading goes on IN the stall. Attempts at being accommodating just weren't working and safety has to be our priority. Of course firearms coming in have to be unloaded unless EDC and holstered and at some point very soon firearms (other than EDC) will have to come through the front door cased or with a chamber flag installed. All loading and unloading will still be on the firing line only.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- CertifiedM&P armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    While we are on the subject, as of Oct. 1 Parabellum no longer allows ANY firearm on the shelf at the back wall, unless it has a chamber flag or is in a case.. All loading and unloading goes on IN the stall. Attempts at being accommodating just weren't working and safety has to be our priority. Of course firearms coming in have to be unloaded unless EDC and holstered and at some point very soon firearms (other than EDC) will have to come through the front door cased or with a chamber flag installed. All loading and unloading will still be on the firing line only.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- CertifiedM&P armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Excellent... I always do this anyway as this is the procedure at my home range (MGF&G).

Top Bottom