• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EXLINE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Hendricks Co.
    When I was at parabellum in avon I didn't even sit my AR on the back counter in the case. Didn't want the muzzle facing anyone reloading back there. Just sat it barrel up underneath. It's crazy the amount of neglegenace you see at ranges. I prefer going to private property, don't feel like getting a 5.56 in the leg

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    Answers my questions from the thread I started.. Point Blank would not be very far from my place but if their training (or lack thereof) is what it appears to be it's not someplace I want to spend any time in.. I would think employees would have been on a guy coming out of the range with a gun in his hand like a duck on a June bug but a lapse in judgement by 2 "well meaning" counter guys could very well have gotten someone injured or worse.. I'll shop for something to do part time that is less hazardous to your health like working at a nuclear power plant or a coal mine. :)
    Thank you Slider, I would give you some Rep but don't have any to pass around.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Answers my questions from the thread I started.. Point Blank would not be very far from my place but if their training (or lack thereof) is what it appears to be it's not someplace I want to spend any time in.. I would think employees would have been on a guy coming out of the range with a gun in his hand like a duck on a June bug but a lapse in judgement by 2 "well meaning" counter guys could very well have gotten someone injured or worse.. I'll shop for something to do part time that is less hazardous to your health like working at a nuclear power plant or a coal mine. :)

Having gone there pretty much every weekend since they opened, I can say that this was an isolated event and is hardly typical of the place. I'm in there a lot and have never seen any safety issues. I'm not saying they don't happen on occasion, but that it can happen anywhere. Point Blank let the two involved go, so they did what they felt they needed to for the safety of their patrons. Not sure what else anyone would want. I'll say that I'll continue going there and am perfectly comfortable doing so.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    And this attitude is appreciated by at least some of your customers. The first time I shot my pistol as a new gun owner was at an NRA Basic Pistol class. The second was at Applied Ballistics. I had a jam, left the gun on the table pointed down range and got help. I knew to do that because of the training. We aren't born knowing this stuff and ranges need to make sure people know it, and are reminded when they mess up, and told to not return if they are incapable of being safe.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    That's what $9hr gets them...

Quoted for truth

WTH is someone doing bringing a loaded/jammed rental gun from the range into the shop area for in the first place? Proper safe decorum would be to set the loaded/jammed firearm down, pointed down range and then go notify the appropriate personnel of the situation.

It wasn't covered in the 3 minute "safety" film?

Excellent... I always do this anyway as this is the procedure at my home range (MGF&G).

I do this at every range I shoot because it's safe. MCF&G has it right

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I do frequent Point Blank quite a bit and I've had positive interactions with most of the employees I've dealt with. did have one experience a few months back that made me slightly uneasy.

I went in to look at a Glock 42 because I was going to take one in on trade and I wanted to see the internals of a new one as a baseline when I was inspecting the possible trade gun.

I asked to see it and the employee said, "great gun. I have two of them. In fact the 42 is my EDC."

I asked politely if I could field strip it to take a closer look. I mentioned that I carry a Glock 19 and I'm familiar with the platform.

The employee said they weren't allowed to let customers field strip the guns. Store policy. They would have to do it for me.

They employee tried to check the chamber without dropping the mag, so the gun went to slide lock. They kept trying to slingshot it forward, but it wouldn't move. I said, "you've got to drop the mag first."

I then watched the employee struggle for a good 30 seconds trying to get the slide off before I mentioned that they had to depress the trigger first before pulling back on the slide slightly.

Unfortunately the employee tried pulling the slide back first, so by the time the trigger was pulled, the slide was out of battery and locked up. After a few more moments of struggling and banging on the slide, it finally came off.

It wasn't like this was a rare or unusual gun. It's a Glock. They all break down the same.

How can someone carry one as their EDC and not know how to field strip it? Or at the very least, get it out of slide lock.

It didn't instill a ton of confidence.

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    Having gone there pretty much every weekend since they opened, I can say that this was an isolated event and is hardly typical of the place. I'm in there a lot and have never seen any safety issues. I'm not saying they don't happen on occasion, but that it can happen anywhere. Point Blank let the two involved go, so they did what they felt they needed to for the safety of their patrons. Not sure what else anyone would want. I'll say that I'll continue going there and am perfectly comfortable doing so.
    Sorry wt but "isolated" in this instance could have gotten someone injured or worse. After reading what Mcgrease08 said it sounds like a training issue and as one other noted, that's what you get for $9 an hour. Mcdonalds in my neighborhood is starting people at $9 an hour so I really don't understand how they hope to get qualified people for that price.. Since handling cheeseburgers and ice cream cones is generally a little less dangerous than firearms it seems they are poisoning their own well from the onset.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Since handling cheeseburgers and ice cream cones is generally a little less dangerous than firearms it seems they are poisoning their own well from the onset.
    Just gonna throw this out there. I think cheeseburgers and ice cream kill more people than firearms do each year. :)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just gonna throw this out there. I think cheeseburgers and ice cream kill more people than firearms do each year. :)
    \Better put bacon on that list too but no one is complaining about bacon. :)
    I applied for the Greenwood Point Blank store since it's about 15 min from my home. I thought it would be an interesting place to work but I was summarily rejected.. Maybe my limited firearms experience wasn't enough for them OR it could be the fact that the starting wage I requested was above $9 an hour.. Since they do have people in Carmel that teach NRA basic pistol course and I have RSO certification I thought that experience might be a plus for them. Very cryptic statement from the guy in Ohio that called me, he said they appreciated me applying but wanted to "go a different direction".. He left me a voice mail so I didn't have the opportunity to ask him what he meant. I've also decided to "go a different direction" and continue to hang out at Parabellm a few days a week even though it's a 45 minute drive for me. It could change tomorrow but to date there hasn't been any gunfire in the showroom area and that's a real plus for me. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Sorry wt but "isolated" in this instance could have gotten someone injured or worse. After reading what Mcgrease08 said it sounds like a training issue and as one other noted, that's what you get for $9 an hour. Mcdonalds in my neighborhood is starting people at $9 an hour so I really don't understand how they hope to get qualified people for that price.. Since handling cheeseburgers and ice cream cones is generally a little less dangerous than firearms it seems they are poisoning their own well from the onset.

$9/hr makes you safer huh? So if that same employee or a different employee were making $12/hr that would make them more apt to adhere to very well established firearms handling rules? How about all the ND's that happen to people that are not on the job? More or less money does not make you safer.

The first rule rule broken of not taking a malfunctioning gun off the range was carried out not by a customer as was reported here. It was done by, trust me, someone that should have known WAAAAYYYYY better than that. The gun had a mechanical issue. But the second employee broke another well established rule of gun safety and that is to not pull the trigger on a gun in order to check for a live round in the chamber. How much you are being paid at the time you make that mistake should not matter. You would not try that at home would you??

Not everything reported in this thread is true. Believe me or not it's your choice.

Now let's just say all the employees now make $12/hr. How much does range time, guns, ammo, etc. now cost? Now everyone would be saying that everything is too expensive there and they would never go to that place. In fact, if you remember correctly, people moaned about paying $5 to watch a mandatory safety video. Then there would no longer be a range available that is that nice to go shoot at. But what if the employer said "but wait, I pay all my employees more money because they would be so much safer", would that make you stay? I doubt it.

The chamber flag rule would be a great rule. But remember, it's a rule. If someone breaks that rule that is in place then the same bad things can happen. Rules were broken, bad things happened, management dealt with it.

People making more than $9/hr shoot themselves and or have ND's. It's the mechanical nature of a firearm and the fallible nature of man. This argument is like the gun free zones - if we put up signs people won't bring guns here - WRONG. compared too - If we have safe gun handling rules and pay people more money nobody will ever make a mistake around a gun - WRONG. I believe this is why when someone is swept with the muzzle of a gun you first reaction is not to yell out "HEY, HOW MUCH MONEY ARE YOU BEING PAID PER HOUR!?" That's because we know it does not matter at that moment.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You guys are lookin at it all wrong.
    I might not shoot someone makin $9/hr cause I'd feel sorry for them.

Now if they were makin $15/hr or more, well that's a different story... :ar15:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mainjet you just made my point, thank you.. Point Blank had no interest in my application even though I have had training, I have experience and know the basic safety rules. I have to assume I was rejected because I wanted more than $9 an hour since I have all the certifications they will require. $20 and hour or $40 and hour doesn't assure you of how competent a person is but it will get you some one with certifications and experience. Anyone can make a mistake but those with more experience and training are less likely to. For $9 they have less incentive to care because MickyDs is hiring for the same money.. You do get what you pay for.. Union shop mentality says everyone walking through the door is worth the same money. Someone that has spent, $$s, hours and thousands of rounds training should be worth considerably more than the guy that can't field strip and Glock when he is carrying one. I don't see how that would be questioned by anyone.
    Sorry I had a thought and added a little :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]

Last edited:

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Mainjet you just made my point, thank you.. Point Blank had no interest in my application even though I have had training, I have experience and know the basic safety rules. I have to assume I was rejected because I wanted more than $9 an hour since I have all the certifications they will require. $20 and hour or $40 and hour doesn't assure you of how competent a person is but it will get you some one with certifications and experience. Anyone can make a mistake but for $9 they have less incentive to care because MickyDs is hiring for the same money..

Don't be so sure that a person with a high level of certification and experience doesn't make gun mistakes. Case in point....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That people do not give their full effort regardless of what they are being paid says more about the person than the wage.

...it also explains why such a person will spend their entire work life in jobs complaining that someone else should pay them more.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    That people do not give their full effort regardless of what they are being paid says more about the person than the wage.

...it also explains why such a person will spend their entire work life in jobs complaining that someone else should pay them more.

BINGO!!

Sometimes I have to wonder why the employees at McDonalds are not constantly placing their hand on the griddle to test for maximum heat. I mean they don't make enough to know better.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son works at Wendy's right now making less than $9.00. He does fun stuff like cleaning the fryers and such. Obviously he wouldn't work there without being paid, but he came home one evening last week and proudly told me that his manager said that he's never seen the fryer baskets this clean since new.

I guess he should have dialed back the effort to match his compensation.

$9 an hour is not a guarantee of getting hopeless help, especially in this economy.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    My son works at Wendy's right now making less than $9.00. He does fun stuff like cleaning the fryers and such. Obviously he wouldn't work there without being paid, but he came home one evening last week and proudly told me that his manager said that he's never seen the fryer baskets this clean since new.

I guess he should have dialed back the effort to match his compensation.

$9 an hour is not a guarantee of getting hopeless help, especially in this economy.

Good for him for showing he's worth more than he is being paid. Some people think pay me more and I will start working harder - sorry, doesn't work that way.

I bet you don't tell your son to settle in at $9/hr either for the rest of his life. That is a starting wage. If after a year or a little more you have not either been raised or it has been explained to you why you don't deserve to be raised, then it is time for you to move on.

Your son is demonstrating that he can handle more responsibility and more difficult tasks than he is currently being given. It won't be long before they will be doing just that for him and with that will come additional pay per hr.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He's a good kid....er, man. No he won't settle in there, but hopefully I've impressed upon him the importance of doing your best regardless of the pay. It shows who you are, and that's important.

Maybe $9/hr won't buy anyone the brightest and hardest charging 40 year old, though I would argue that if you take the job, you owe top notch effort. However, most places it will buy an intelligent, motivated early 20 something or a reliable retiree...if you look hard enough.

Top Bottom