• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    1963 corvette stingray split window z06 "tanker" (36 gallon gas tank) knockoff wheels, dark blue (because yes, they do make corvettes in colors other than red, white and black), at mecum auctions in febuary 2016 one sold for 700 thousand!

OR

for some odd reason I've always liked wood wagons!, any one I wouldnt be near a specific as I am with my corvette!, and i'd drive it every where! vs the vette which would only be a weekender!

https://www.123rf.com/photo_7057662...ar-with-surfboard-and-surf-in-background.html

aint that beautiful!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There used to be a museum/dealer in a building attached to that WWII museum up around the Auburn area. He had a couple of those tanker models. I thought they were cool. He had a lot of nice stuff in there, many which would be good "driver" condition cars.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The tankers were not all that common and they do bring a premium as do the 1 year only split windows.

I remember an Uncle had an old ford woody. It was pretty cool. He parked it out on the family farm in the junk yard to let rot away.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    The tankers were not all that common and they do bring a premium as do the 1 year only split windows.

I remember an Uncle had an old ford woody. It was pretty cool. He parked it out on the family farm in the junk yard to let rot away.

a few years ago at the barret Jackson auction they had a pair of tankers they called them bookends, both red, both loaded and both perfect I don't remember the ncrs rating but damn near perfect, they both came from a huge corvette dealer in ohio thttps://www.proteamcorvette.com/ the only difference between them, one was a stick (4 speed I think) and the other was an automatic.

a few moths later, they had one back for sale, I guess the guy decided he couldn't drive 2 at the same time.

and I hope you disowned your uncle!...letting a woddie rot away like that! sacrilege I say sacrilege!

I remember reading that in 64 when chevy did away with the bar running down the rear window, people who owned 63's cut out the bar and added a window from the 64's, if they could only see 50 years into the future!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I only have two out of my realm dream cars.

A tucker. Only 48 were ever built because the big three was afraid of the builder. Why? Because he put crazy things on his cars like a padded dash, safety glass windshield, a third headlight that turned when the car did among other things. Of course in one way or another the big three eventually put them on their cars. They still exist today but not all of the 48.

The other would be a Chrysler turbine car. Another holy grail car and I believe there is only 10-12 ever made. Last time I checked, only two were in private hands and running at that time. Jay Leno has one and a guy by the name of frank kleptz owned the other one. Frank is from Terre Haute and has passed away. I’m not sure if his family still owns his cars or not. They sold off his plexiglass car (car had a clear body to show off his it worked), it sold for 300k at Indy mecom a few years ago. The turbine car has a jet engine in it. It is worth millions. Franks collection was smaller then don smiths but more valued as he had more rare cars. I have actually never seen franks collection person but know where it was. It has been said frank kept his vehicles in running shape and would drive them around the block occasionally.

Chrysler_Turbine_Car

here is a link to pictures of franks collection

https://www.brendankearnsphotography.com/Cars/Frank-Kleptz-Automobile-1/n-ztQtc/

I did a report for a class on Frank's car many moons ago, very neat car. On a side note while driving thru Danville IN about 15 years ago I happened upon Granettelli's Turbine Powered Indy Car rolling down the road. I did a quick "U" and went back and watched it make a few laps thru the industrial park where it was stashed. Too Cool!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    63 tbird. 390 with the 3 deuces... my dad had one.

I just sold one last year (1964). In Honolulu blue, matching leather and white vinyl top. 62k orginal miles. 390 3 deuces..... Was my Dad's. He bought it at a charity auction because his Dad had the same car. Was a show car but we just never drove it and it sat in a barn for 12 years after he died.
    iu

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    a few years ago at the barret Jackson auction they had a pair of tankers they called them bookends, both red, both loaded and both perfect I don't remember the ncrs rating but damn near perfect, they both came from a huge corvette dealer in ohio thttps://www.proteamcorvette.com/ the only difference between them, one was a stick (4 speed I think) and the other was an automatic.

a few moths later, they had one back for sale, I guess the guy decided he couldn't drive 2 at the same time.

and I hope you disowned your uncle!...letting a woddie rot away like that! sacrilege I say sacrilege!

I remember reading that in 64 when chevy did away with the bar running down the rear window, people who owned 63's cut out the bar and added a window from the 64's, if they could only see 50 years into the future!

In Uncles defense the old Ford was pretty much done. All the wood was falling off the car from just never being cared for. The engine was knocking like mad and it barely made the junk pile. Back then who knew.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Say you won some drawing that allowed you to choose any automobile ever produced. Old and completely restored or brand new, and upkeep is on them. You don't have to worry about insurance or registration costs for your lifetime. What would you choose? 55 Bel Air? Old Lamborghini,Ferrari,or a new one? A Rolls maybe a Bentley?
    My choice would be a 2018 Rolls Royce Phantom. I really like that car. 20 years ago I probably would have chosen a Lamborghini, or a Ferrari or Porsche, but now I am for the comfort and style of the Rolls. What would you choose?
    1971Hemi Barracuda

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    What I’m driving now. Because I can’t afford a 1969 Camaro like the one I bought when I came back from the service in 1971. It was the small block 302 DZ. Kicked more big block ass than can be imagined. Horsepower to weight ratio was incredible. Almost the same color as the one I have now.

Sorry, don’t know why the pic loaded upside down. Can’t figure out how to flip it.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    You guys are thinking small time. Lamborghini Veneno. Sell it at a discounted $3 million and buy ALL the cars that have been listed !

not the Chrysler turbine car, last number I heard is it is worth millions. Seeing as the only two in private hands are in jay Leno’s garage and s garage in Terre Haute, there hasn’t been a running one sold in my lifetime I bet.

Top Bottom