I'm new and your 50-post rule sucks! Please change it for my convenience.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    From the oft-ignored INGO FAQ:

Why do I have to have 50 "quality" posts to be able to send a PM to a member or to post in the Classifieds section of the forum? What is a "quality" post anyway?
    This is really two separate questions, but they frequently get asked together, so it's a little easier to answer them together.

For the first question: the short answer is "to reduce spam." We created this forum to be a community of firearms enthusiasts in the state of Indiana. It is first and foremost a place where like-minded people can get together and chat about a topic that is relevant to them and that they are passionate about - firearms (of all types). We added the Classifieds section as a perk to our contributing members so that individuals could buy, sell or trade items (not necessarily firearms related) within the Indiana firearms community.

We do not intend for the Classifieds section to become another "Craigslist" or "eBay" for guns. We require 50 "quality" posts because many of our members do not like to do business, especially in regards to firearms, with people they do not know. Posting in other places in the forums can give members an idea of what kind of person you are (in general). You do not have to necessarily post about firearms. You can spend all of your time posting on the silly threads in the Break Room. The idea is to show us a little bit of your personality. You don't have to give us your life history. A small blood sample will suffice. ;)

As far as "quality" of your posts goes, we just want to see something more than a "one-liner" in response to a thread. In some contexts, a "one-liner" is appropriate. For example, if the topic is "What do you carry?" a response of "G19, 3:00" is entirely acceptable. However, 50 "Welcome!" posts in the Intro & Greetings forum may not be construed that way when you yourself are brand new to the forum and then you subsequently head straight to the Classifieds section. In other words, we would like to see a post that actually contributes to the thread and not something that just takes up space.

Just to be clear, any "welcome" post in the Intro forum will be deleted if you do not have 50 quality posts yet and it is not your own intro thread. However, you will find that once you get past the initial water-testing phase, INGO actually has a very welcoming community around here. In fact, one of our members created a whole thread giving a proper welcome for our new members: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_...r_newbies.html. Be sure to check it out!

To help put it in perspective, this was from one of the moderators as we were discussing this particular topic one day:
    Quote:
    For a new member, it's intimidating. You don't know the social rules yet, and so maybe you sort of "dip your toe in" a little bit as you try to become part of the group. This is why I try to let their posts go past ten so I can see where they go from there. If it's obvious what they're doing, on the other hand, then all bets are off.
    Just remember, we are a community that borders on family. Jump in and have fun, and show us who you are before you try to sell us that hot new gun collection you have! :D

When you say we need 50 posts to participate in the Classifieds, what does that mean exactly? I can still buy from people even though I don't have 50 posts yet, right? That's not really participating because you mean I just can't sell in the Classifieds, right?
    There's a reason we chose the word "participate."
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to sell in the Classifieds section.
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to trade in the Classifieds section.
    We didn't say you have to have 50 posts to buy in the Classifieds section.

You have to have 50 posts to participate in the Classifieds section.

Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    participate
    to take part, be or become actively involved, or share
    50 posts?! REALLY?!
    Recently, Fenway has decided to offer a way around the 50 post requirement, and that is to become a Site Supporter. His feeling is that becoming a supporter will give you a vested interested in helping the site and reduce the likelihood that you will spam the board. See this link for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/site_s..._are_here.html

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Yeah, it is set up this way to prevent spamming and trolling. Besides it helps to confirm that people are genuine and not out trying to scam people. You can pay to be a site supporter if you want to get around this.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I use forums to research technical issues and learn tip and tricks....
    I guess guys like me aren't really welcome.
    TANSTAAFL

The reason you can get tips and tricks from forums is because someone shared them. Share a bit of your wit and/or wisdom and the classifieds will be open to you as a member of the community. Oh, and a very belated welcome to INGO.:)

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Sorry I don't understand the rules on this forum. the 15 and 50 message requirements don't make sense to me. So I can't send private messages, can't reply, can't contact a seller to an ask about a reloading press. All I can do is express opinions?

I use forums to research technical issues and learn tip and tricks. I was always taught an open mouth = a closed mind. You learn more by listening. I'm not much of a computer guy. I'm old fashioned, I prefer to communicate to people directly.

I guess guys like me aren't really welcome.

It isn't that the rules don't make sense, it's that you don't understand the rules. You can reply to forum posts, in fact that is exactly what they want you to do...engage in conversation, be a presence get involved. The 50 post rule only seems unreasonable until you understand that the rules are actually there to protect you. Post replys and offer your experience or ask for more explanation. This is one of the best forums around, and it's because of the owner, the mods, and the membership.

Lurkers are at a disadvantage. Perhaps that is a side effect of keeping spammers and losers who only want to come in and flood the classifieds from posting. I haven't bought or sold anything in the classified section yet, but from reading what is posted, the overwhelming majority of transactions are without drama. I'd say that is proof of the wisdom of the rules.

hbarnett1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    I have a problem with my number of posts disappearing.I had 20 this morning,went back and posted an hour later,and it said I only had 17.What's up with that?Is that some kind of new math,or something?

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I have a problem with my number of posts disappearing.I had 20 this morning,went back and posted an hour later,and it said I only had 17.What's up with that?Is that some kind of new math,or something?

The rules say the posts must be <QUALITY>, not a crapton of "welcome to ingo posts". Not saying you're doing that or anything..

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I look at it like this: I didn't start the forum...or build it to 15K+ members so I don't try to make the rules. It's a privately owned site and not a democracy. Just do the posts and have fun.

My biggest issue is I can't stay off of it. Losing sleep...

Oh well. It's a great place to live and work...er, I mean visit!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    A couple of things. Even though you have been a member since 2009, you are still not able to welcome new users to the forum because you have fewer than 50 posts. The rule is based on post count, not time.

One of the best things about INGO is the friendliness of its members. Its always nice to see 20-30 posts welcoming members as they sign up on a daily basis.

Due to the nature of incoming members, the Introduction Forum has a certain "flow" that exists. Sometimes that flow gets interrupted and causes people to inadvertently re-welcome people they already welcomed 6 months ago.

In an effort to help keep things flowing smoothly, use this simple guideline when you decided to say "Hello!" to new members:
    • Only welcome those members who have originally posted in the Introduction Forum in the past 24 hours. If their original post says "1 Day Ago" or longer, and you didn't welcome them yet, simply skip them and move on to those that have posted in the most recent 24 hour timespan.
    This will keep older threads from being repeatedly bumped back up to the top, and allow people to quickly find those new members they haven't welcomed yet.
    Also keep in mind that "newbies" (new members with fewer than the required 50 posts) may NOT welcome other members in an effort to reach their 50 post requirement.
    Thanks!

One liners are still removed when they are found if you haven't reached the 50 posts. We don't go out looking for them unless it's obvious or they are reported but if they are seen, then they are removed.

Looks like you had 1 welcome message and 2 one liners removed.

Hope that helps answer your question.
    :ingo:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

Hang in there!! I think I will have my 50 quality posts in by the end of the year!! But the friends and knowledge that I have made trying to achieve the 50 quality posts are priceless! hang in there and post up like ya got a pair!! :D

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Hang in there!! I think I will have my 50 quality posts in by the end of the year!! But the friends and knowledge that I have made trying to achieve the 50 quality posts are priceless! hang in there and post up like ya got a pair!! :D
    I call BS!!
    You'll never have 50 quality posts. ;)

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Never be too afraid to post if you feel like you have something to contribute or at least something that some of the other readers will find interesting or or humorous. Your first 50 posts will be reached sooner than you think. However, please try to spell everything correctly, used the proper tense and for Heaven's sake, make sure that your subjects and verbs agree. My old high school English teacher once told me that I would flunk out of college because I could not think or write logically in an attempt to inspire me to do better in her class. That ploy did not work as I only disliked her more and more after each of her attempts to humiliate me in front of the class. A few years ago, my Dad sent me her obituary to let me know that she had passed on to another place. I should not have to say what other place I hoped that she had passed on to for trying to make my life miserable in her class.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm a new mwmber here also, I have no beef with the rules. I paid the 10.00 to become a member. I love the site. It takes $$$ to run a site. My Dad lives in Colorado and would love to have something like this!. I do like the 50 post rule, lets people get to know you.

BTW: Posting that your not happy with the rules does not help!

Rock on :ingo:

Man I've learned a lot here so far!!! Love the site :rockwoot:
    there is a Colorado gunowners site started by an INGO member that moved. On my tablet and don't have a link handy but you should be able to Google it

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom