• oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Huh, what? South Bend in what state?

If I've got this correct neither the Bend nor the Fort have WC because they are both too far out for the supply logistics, according to what I've read in the SB Tribune Market Basket.
    Indiana. Thanks for the correction.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    But Powers!

One of my biggest disappointments after moving to The Fort 8 years ago was the realization that the nearest Porcelain Palace was in South Bend.

I'd be interested in hearing the rumors about why the WC Lounge never landed here.

Oh, I also love Powers, but the only remaining location being in the exact center of the worst traffic in town (and basically 20+ minutes away for everybody) is a major bummer. Back in the '80s there was a location on Coliseum and that was perfect for me... Sadly they closed it before the decade was over.

The nearest WC to the Fort is Anderson (directly off of 69), and I've made that drive more than once for that express purpose back when I lived in FTW. Load up the car with buddies and cruise on down for 90 minutes, then race back with a trunk fulla crave cases before the damage sets in...

As far as rumors, I've heard a few. One is that there is some sort of feud between some bigwig at WC and one of the major franchisees of the another chain in FTW (I had heard Wendy's, but who knows) and said FTW bigwig has enough political capital to keep them out of the market. That rumor has a few different flavors, including that one of them bought all of the franchise rights and are just sitting on them (which I strongly doubt for a variety of reasons). Another flavor is that it's a local real estate guy with an axe to grind.

I never bought the supply chain argument because FTW is pretty much surrounded by WCs on a 90 mile radius. The trucks have to roll through town to get to the other restaurants at some point. Detroit, Chicago, Dayton/Columbus, and Indy all have a bazillion of them. FTW is in smack in the middle of the WC free island surrounded by a sea of delicious tiny burgers and I don't truly know why. :(

Due to the general scarcity of WCs, this is what my normal visit looks like, so it's better for me that they aren't around. When I lived in Dayton I'd do that about twice a year... :laugh:

FWIW, I have written WC corporate several times over the years asking for a store to be opened in FTW and been directed to just buy them frozen at the market, which isn't even close to the same.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Oh, I also love Powers, but the only remaining location being in the exact center of the worst traffic in town (and basically 20+ minutes away for everybody) is a major bummer. Back in the '80s there was a location on Coliseum and that was perfect for me... Sadly they closed it before the decade was over.

The nearest WC to the Fort is Anderson (directly off of 69), and I've made that drive more than once for that express purpose back when I lived in FTW. Load up the car with buddies and cruise on down for 90 minutes, then race back with a trunk fulla crave cases before the damage sets in...

As far as rumors, I've heard a few. One is that there is some sort of feud between some bigwig at WC and one of the major franchisees of the another chain in FTW (I had heard Wendy's, but who knows) and said FTW bigwig has enough political capital to keep them out of the market. That rumor has a few different flavors, including that one of them bought all of the franchise rights and are just sitting on them (which I strongly doubt for a variety of reasons). Another flavor is that it's a local real estate guy with an axe to grind.

I never bought the supply chain argument because FTW is pretty much surrounded by WCs on a 90 mile radius. The trucks have to roll through town to get to the other restaurants at some point. Detroit, Chicago, Dayton/Columbus, and Indy all have a bazillion of them. FTW is in smack in the middle of the WC free island surrounded by a sea of delicious tiny burgers and I don't truly know why. :(

Due to the general scarcity of WCs, this is what my normal visit looks like, so it's better for me that they aren't around. When I lived in Dayton I'd do that about twice a year...

FWIW, I have written WC corporate several times over the years asking for a store to be opened in FTW and been directed to just buy them frozen at the market, which isn't even close to the same.
    Thanks for the excellent information! My Power's reference was partially tongue in cheek. Their food is excellent, but it is not White Castle. And on the few occasions when I have gone, Mrs. oze would require that I strip down in the garage and dump the clothes that I wore into plastic garbage bags to be burned, if she had her way.

It's a shame that, for whatever reasons, we can't get a White Castle or 5 here, and I'll send off a missive to Slider HQ to see how they respond. Maybe there is hope. In the last few years, we have gotten a Giordano's, Portillo's and a Trader Joe's (not that I would ever willingly set foot in the latter).

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well let me tell you city folk!
    White Castle is great it is not to be enjoyed daily but a rare treat.
    You people have one down the block the nearest to my location is about 50 miles.

I got it a bit better than you, only about 30 miles for me.

Dbl cheese with extra onions and pickles and dusseldorf mustard, only problem is the WC nearest me doesn't have that mustard they have some other god forsaken crap. While my wife and I were engaged she wanted to go camping, on the way down she suggested WC for lunch. WC for lunch and a couple of beers by the fire and spending the night in a small tent, what could go wrong...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Powers is only convenient for Federal court and Lincoln employees.

And of course, "worst traffic" is subjective; I'll always take Ft. Wayne worst over Indy's best.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Last night late after all this WC talk I was needing a WC fix. I knew we had 4 in the freezer because I saw them a day or so ago. I wrestled with the decision and said WTF I am eating them. Opened the door to the freezer and they were gone. :):

It seems the terrorists had a crave on and ate them yesterday as a snack......:faint:

I know your pain!!

Neighbor had a good sized tree down in a wind storm, they didn't have a way to clean it up. I cut it up and hauled it off for them, took a week of after work/weekends. They gave me a nice gift card to a Texas Roadhouse. Couple days later at work I get a pic on my phone of my wife and granddaughter eating at Texas Roadhouse holding my gift card!!:dunno:

Don

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I know your pain!!

Neighbor had a good sized tree down in a wind storm, they didn't have a way to clean it up. I cut it up and hauled it off for them, took a week of after work/weekends. They gave me a nice gift card to a Texas Roadhouse. Couple days later at work I get a pic on my phone of my wife and granddaughter eating at Texas Roadhouse holding my gift card!!:dunno:

Don

ooh, that sounds like a move my wife and daughter would pull. They would at least bring me some home

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know your pain!!

Don

If I give that away its cool but if I move heaven and earth then I better by God have a say in it.

I sounded real tough didn't I......:lmfao:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    It's not like Indy traffic is that fast.
    They drive pretty slow in Ft Wayne. I like the speed and flow of the Indy traffic better. I'm not saying they go 20 over or anything. But I got used to it while I was down there

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not like Indy traffic is that fast.

Uh......heck it aint. Rolling north on High School Rd just of Crawfordsville. 35 MPH limit and I was rolling 45+ and getting passed by everybody. People running 65+ on Crawfordsville.
    38th St west towards 465 and same thing 55/65 MPH.
    I was rolling 80+ south 465 past the old airport and just keeping up this morning.

Top Bottom