Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe she's a head nurse and she sucks at her job? :dunno:

Oh wait...
    That's a good thing.
    :joke:

Speeding tickets are the worst most people get dragged into the legal system. They don't understand that arguing on the side of the road (while sometimes humorous for the rest of us) is pointless. Speeding is also another thing that people are punished for because they might hurt someone. Traveling faster than a sign on the side of the road isn't really the problem. Tailgating, cutting people off, passing with a massive speed difference, and weaving around traffic to try and go faster are, IMO, the real problems that speed limits target but these things can be done at nearly any speed. Add to that instances of Carmel police writing speeding tickets on i465 and there are plenty of reasons to detest speeding tickets and have a tendency to express it when stopped.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In NM, you can do 131 and drive away. (even if you're not a cop)

[video=youtube;ALQUTjJGPMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQUTjJGPMI[/video]

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Why would a nurse get fired over a traffic stop?

Because she initially refused to give me her name, then gave me a fake name, all the while giving me a really bad attitude. I could have, and probably should have, taken her to jail. I instead opted to go another route, and from what I've heard so far, she will no longer be employed. She definitely could have used a night in jail to put her life in perspective, but finding a new job will likely be just as humbling.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm confused. Are you telling the whole story? I really hope so because I don't see anything she did that should affect her livelihood.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person’s:

(1) name, address, and date of birth; or

(2) driver’s license, if in the person’s possession;

to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

Class C Misdemeanor: A Class C misdemeanor carries a penalty of 0 days in jail up to 60 days in jail. The maximum penalty under this class is $500.00. *or you could lose your job?*

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Because she initially refused to give me her name, then gave me a fake name, all the while giving me a really bad attitude. I could have, and probably should have, taken her to jail. I instead opted to go another route, and from what I've heard so far, she will no longer be employed. She definitely could have used a night in jail to put her life in perspective, but finding a new job will likely be just as humbling.

And how did her boss know anything besides her side of the story? More importantly, how do you know about how her boss feels?

It seems to me that she was guilty of refusal to identify which is a misdemeanor. Fine, take her to jail. You said that you found another way to deal with the issue - did you call her boss and tell him that she was being naughty?

I'm really hoping that I'm wrong. If I am, I'll be happy to remove my posts and apologize, but it seems like you abused your position of authority.

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I bet she went right home and posted all her butt hurt on FB/IG/Twitter...and of course she has half her fellow employees as friends/followers...maybe even her boss too. Boss finds out, investigates...blammo, fired. All too easy, as Darth says. As I have told my children and other family numerous times...Everything you say on social media can and will be used against you at some point in your life. So STFU.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I hope that is the case. What concerns me is "I opted to go another route"

I wasn't aware that police officers had other routes that could affect your job.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I'd have just arrested her and let her job decide whether or not it affects her employment or not.

Hindsight tells me I should have done exactly that. But I let her go because she was an RN. She's still an RN, she'll just be working for a different hospital now.

As I explained it to my chief, I let her go because it was going to end up becoming a use of force incident. I am no stranger to using force, and I don't shy away from it, however, I knew I could resolve this issue without going hands on. My chief shared my report with the nurse's boss, and they took appropriate action. I got an apology from her boss, for her soon to be former employee's "unbelievable behavior." She said she was appalled at how I was treated by her. Understandably, they don't want people like that working for them.

So, to sum it up, yes, she was treated differently because of her profession. Anyone else would have gone to jail. But anyone else wouldn't have lost their job. There are pros and cons to professional courtesy. She got to go home that night, but her repercussions are far more severe.

We hold certain members of our society to a higher standard, police, fire, medical. We expect professionalism from these people. A lot of people will look at these stops and say, "If that was me, I'd be going to jail." You may be right, but sometimes the repercussions these people in those professions face is more far reaching than just criminal charges. And the nurse in my story isn't out of the woods yet. There's still a chance that the prosecutor will file those charges.

If I was stopped by an officer from another agency and acted the way this nurse did, I would fully expect to lose my job. Maybe that officer would forgo taking me to jail because of my badge, but when my administration heard about what I did, I'd be done.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this anymore. I never intended to derail this thread. I guess I'm trying to make a point about how giving someone professional courtesy doesn't always mean that the person gets off completely free.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    How would you even know how to get hold of her boss? Like how far out of your way did you have to go to tell on her? I stop a lot of cars and I can’t say I’ve ever looked up a person’s employer.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I hope that is the case. What concerns me is "I opted to go another route"

I wasn't aware that police officers had other routes that could affect your job.

I think you misunderstood. He was referring to arresting vs ticketing and release. At least that is what I thought he meant.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think you misunderstood. He was referring to arresting vs ticketing and release. At least that is what I thought he meant.

Nope.

Hindsight tells me I should have done exactly that. But I let her go because she was an RN. She's still an RN, she'll just be working for a different hospital now.

As I explained it to my chief, I let her go because it was going to end up becoming a use of force incident. I am no stranger to using force, and I don't shy away from it, however, I knew I could resolve this issue without going hands on. My chief shared my report with the nurse's boss, and they took appropriate action. I got an apology from her boss, for her soon to be former employee's "unbelievable behavior." She said she was appalled at how I was treated by her. Understandably, they don't want people like that working for them.

So, to sum it up, yes, she was treated differently because of her profession. Anyone else would have gone to jail. But anyone else wouldn't have lost their job. There are pros and cons to professional courtesy. She got to go home that night, but her repercussions are far more severe.

We hold certain members of our society to a higher standard, police, fire, medical. We expect professionalism from these people. A lot of people will look at these stops and say, "If that was me, I'd be going to jail." You may be right, but sometimes the repercussions these people in those professions face is more far reaching than just criminal charges. And the nurse in my story isn't out of the woods yet. There's still a chance that the prosecutor will file those charges.

If I was stopped by an officer from another agency and acted the way this nurse did, I would fully expect to lose my job. Maybe that officer would forgo taking me to jail because of my badge, but when my administration heard about what I did, I'd be done.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this anymore. I never intended to derail this thread. I guess I'm trying to make a point about how giving someone professional courtesy doesn't always mean that the person gets off completely free.

You didn't take "appropriate action". The law clearly states the penalties for her actions, and her penalty far exceeded what the law allows.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    To perhaps alleviate some of your concerns, and without giving away for which agency I work, my department and this particular healthcare system work closely together. This healthcare system has a code of ethics and respect, which was violated during my interaction. Her bosses, and her bosses' boss were not very happy about it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    To perhaps alleviate some of your concerns, and without giving away for which agency I work, my department and this particular healthcare system work closely together. This healthcare system has a code of ethics and respect, which was violated during my interaction. Her bosses, and her bosses' boss were not very happy about it.

It doesn't alleviate my concern since her bosses and her bosses' boss were not involved with the traffic stop. They became involved AFTER someone in your department decided this woman needed to be taught a lesson.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I feel like whatever happens on the side of the road generally stays there, and in the courtroom. This is also why i prefer to not write CDL holders... a traffic indiscretion shouldn’t affect someone’s livelihood when said indiscretion occurred off duty.

So at at what point did your chief discover the employer of your suspect? I’m having a hard time connecting those dots.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    It doesn't alleviate my concern since her bosses and her bosses' boss were not involved with the traffic stop. They became involved AFTER someone in your department decided this woman needed to be taught a lesson.

I certainly understand your point. There is more to the story, but I won't be posting it in a public forum. I can see now that it looks bad the way I've framed it.

Maybe you'd still disagree knowing the whole story. All I can say is that I stand by my decision. Hard to say what would have happened if I had just arrested her. The outcome would likely be much the same, except her picture would be on the inmate search page of the jail. Charges may still be coming. This was likely the best outcome for her. She was going to lose her job either way.

Top Bottom