Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Unless you're one of those folks that get delayed all the time and buy lots of guns every year I have a hard time understanding the allure of this. Am I missing an angle here?

Just for reference - this was from a suggestion from Guy - or it is their interpretation of it. I see no advantage - the fees are something I would put to more power, primers or other components. ... I'm cheap - and a new purchase is never in that much of a rush.

BUT

If you buy more often, and/or get delayed often ... and you feel like others are getting a benefit you are not ...
    Plus this helps keep more $$$ in the state coffers, so there is that too.
    (HEY Look, a chance to get people to voluntarily pay a tax/fee to the state ... gee why not!?!!??)

Update just hit FB for those that find them helpful. I'm out for a bit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I've never been delayed...I don't see the allure.

I have a common name so I've gotten delayed when I don't use my ssn. But try buying a gun at Christmas time. Took >45 mins to get through NICS. I wouldn't mind the convenience of just flashing the pink card. But that's neither a trade-off nor consolation for ConC.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just for reference - this was from a suggestion from Guy - or it is their interpretation of it. I see no advantage - the fees are something I would put to more power, primers or other components. ... I'm cheap - and a new purchase is never in that much of a rush.

BUT

If you buy more often, and/or get delayed often ... and you feel like others are getting a benefit you are not ...
    Plus this helps keep more $$$ in the state coffers, so there is that too.
    (HEY Look, a chance to get people to voluntarily pay a tax/fee to the state ... gee why not!?!!??)

Update just hit FB for those that find them helpful. I'm out for a bit.

I thought during one of his shows, Guy said he suggested modifying the legislation to provide a way the lifetime LTCH could be used the same way. So there'd be some type of rider where you'd jump through the hoops to be, I guess "certified" (my word, due to lack of a better term). So if you have a lifetime LTCH, you could apply for this rider to be added to your license, which would expire every 5 years. Basically you keep your lifetime, and you do NICS every 5 years to renew your ability to buy guns without doing NICS each time. If that passes in either form, even though it'd be convenient just to show the pink card, I can't see me bothering to do it. For the few guns I buy a year, it's probably easier just to wait in line for NICS.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That would be until shops start charging foe NICS checks. Blythe's has a sign that they charge $75 for a denied check.

For Indyucky, do you get charged by the feds for NICS checks?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think Blythes charges for failed NICS checks, not because of a Federal cost, but because it takes salespeople time.
    And because they had problems with people that were apparently "rolling the dice".
    People that knew they couldn't pass, but were trying anyway, as evidenced by people saying, "well, I didn't think I'd pass"

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    I think Blythes charges for failed NICS checks, not because of a Federal cost, but because it takes salespeople time.
    And because they had problems with people that were apparently "rolling the dice".
    People that knew they couldn't pass, but were trying anyway, as evidenced by people saying, "well, I didn't think I'd pass"

Yeah. I asked them about it and they said it actually worked as a huge deterrent from people who are hoping to sneak through or wasting their time knowing they’ll fail...

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

I've never been denied/delayed and have no reason to believe I ever would be. But that sounds like a disincentive to do business with Blythes.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I haven't posted in this thread until now but I have been watching and learning from you guys. Needless to say, I too am very disappointed in Speaker Bosma. I think like many others here, I never expected the blatant level of betrayal, this is the most despicable display of self-serving politics I think I have witnessed from our own side.

As a precinct committeeman, I am an elected official of the Indiana GOP. Admittedly, it may not mean very much, but it does at least gain an ear of some of our more sympathetic GOP members. I plan to contact my local town and county Republican Central Committee Chairmen, and another Republican State Rep who although is not our own state rep, he is geographically the closest to us and he will listen. In addition, our town Central Committee Chairman is a hunter and a gun collector, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to voice to him our concerns on this issue. I will keep you all posted on my correspondence with these folks. I just requested their emails from a member on our town board and should have them shortly.

I plan to paraphrase some of the verbiage from Guy's article and provide a reference. I will post a draft letter here in case any of you want to comment on it or have anything to add.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I haven't posted in this thread until now but I have been watching and learning from you guys. Needless to say, I too am very disappointed in Speaker Bosma. I think like many others here, I never expected the blatant level of betrayal, this is the most despicable display of self-serving politics I think I have witnesses from our own side.

As a precinct committeeman, I am an elected official of the Indiana GOP. Admittedly, it may not mean very much, but it does at least gain an ear of some of our more sympathetic GOP members. I plan to contact my local town and county Republican Central Committee Chairmen, and another Republican State Rep who although is not our own state rep, he is geographically the closest to us and he will listen. In addition, our town Central Committee Chairman is a hunter and a gun collector, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to voice to him our concerns on this issue. I will keep you all posted on my correspondence with these folks. I just requested their emails from a member on our town board and should have them shortly.

I plan to paraphrase some of the verbiage from Guy's article and provide a reference. I will post a draft letter here in case any of you want to comment on it or have anything to add.

Please share! well done!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    That would be until shops start charging foe NICS checks. Blythe's has a sign that they charge $75 for a denied check.

For Indyucky, do you get charged by the feds for NICS checks?

Lmao how can they even enforce that? You can't detain/charge someone with shoplifting something intangible.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I did not get to watch more than a few moments of the hearing.
    Senator Taylor was at it again ... (usual antics) when I was listening ... while the House PP committee was on a break.

I did see HB 1424 was PASSED by the committee -
    There was an Amendment - I do not know the status of the amendment, but it appears that this may not have passed.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I did not get to watch more than a few moments of the hearing.
    Senator Taylor was at it again ... (usual antics) when I was listening ... while the House PP committee was on a break.

I did see HB 1424 was PASSED by the committee -
    There was an Amendment - I do not know the status of the amendment, but it appears that this may not have passed.

PASSED - Vote was 7 for 3 against - ALONG PARTY LINES of course.

no changes - but next stop is Senate Appropriations Committee (not scheduled yet, but must be done next week)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    This hearing is even more difficult than the previous hearings I've listened too this year. (all of them combined) ... perhaps the frustration is just cumulative effect.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    pay for the 5 year but it Makes you NICS check exempt.

I'm just reading up on this 30 page or so thread, so forgive me if this is a question answered later in the thread or elsewhere on INGO...

Regarding the 5-year LTCH and exemption from NICS check when purchasing a firearm: how does information on a disqualifying conviction (felony, domestic abuse, involuntarily committed, etc.) prohibit one from purchasing a firearm from a FFL? Will the 5-year LTCH card be physically confiscated by LEO when it is revoked? I'm assuming that this is the case and is probably workable as disqualifying convictions or determinations of mental illness will in nearly all (all?) cases involve a court proceeding (as they should).

Just curios as I've not yet seen this side of the issue discussed...

Top Bottom