• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Have nothing to hide. Have no problems. BTW multiple stops by the police, I notify of my fire arm, never have I been pulled out of the car,fire arm never seized, never a ticket even when I was in the wrong.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just put a ham sandwich in a baggy and tape it to the window.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Don't be a victim, unless they wear a badge then do whatever they say.... I'm not rolling my window down at a check point. I don't drink and you didn't see me breaking any laws if you need more info Come through the window and we'll just settle up later.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you come through a checkpoint in Marion County and you aren't impaired, you'll be on your way in literally 30 seconds or less.

Respectfully, that's not the point. I see it as way to close off a gateway to casual random home inspections for public safety

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Respectfully, that's not the point. I see it as way to close off a gateway to casual random home inspections for public safety

The court was very clear in it's ruling that sobriety checkpoints are only acceptable because of the great danger of impaired drivers. They also have said that the checkpoints are only legal when the intrusion is short, two minutes was the number referenced. This is not a casual inspection of someone who is simply living and not doing anything potentially dangerous. If stops at a checkpoint increase in time, the courts will not be pleased. If stops at a checkpoint are found to be a ruse for something else (license violations, registration violations, etc...) the courts will not be pleased. The language used in the courts' rulings is very strong about the dangers of impaired drivers. The courts do not like impaired drivers and are generally OK with checkpoints so long as they are honestly about impaired drivers and any stops are reasonably speedy.

My opinion follows that of the court.

Because of the narrow scope of what the court deems OK, I do not see sobriety checkpoints as a gateway for ANY other type of checkpoint.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    On that note you could always throw a donut out the window. That might distract them enough to get a running start. :):
    On second thought I think I might ditch the ham sandwich. It might get indicted. :joke:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    People's positions about these do change quick when someone they love gets slaughtered by a drunk driver. :(
    The longer you live, the more you lose.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    IANAL, so......I won't tell you how to make sure you go to jail or how to make sure you don't. And I won't post Chris Rock's video again. :rolleyes:

This is the problem. This whole do what they say or else, even when you're doing nothing wrong. I'm also not convinced they are at all effective. Massive amount of work, massive delays in traffic, nuisance for both police and citizens. I understand many checkpoints are funded by grants and get y'all some overtime pay, but still doesn't make them right. There is no stat that proves them more effective than patrols and just using the grant to have more presence on the streets rather than wasting 99.9 percent of people's time.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    “HIGHLAND — Police made no arrests for operating while intoxicated during a June 15 sobriety checkpoint, but they arrested or cited 29 people for various other offenses.”

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local...cle_a52bd4d4-072f-5283-b16b-549fe1ed3526.html

[FONT=&quot]Hobart Checkpoint – Friday August 24[/FONT]

• DRIVING WHILE SUSPENDED – Infraction 4
    • POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA – Misdemeanor 1
    • OPERATOR NEVER LICENSED – Misdemeanor 3
    • DRIVING WHILE SUSPENDED – Misdemeanor 2
    • EXPIRED LICENSE PLATE – Infraction 1
    • WARRANT ARREST – Misdemeanor 2
    • NO INSURANCE – Infraction 1
    • WARNINGS 2
    [FONT=&quot]Merrillville Checkpoint – Friday August 24[/FONT]

• OWI – Misdemeanor 4
    • OWI- LEVEL VI FELONY 1
    • POSSESSION OF MARIJUANA – Misdemeanor 2
    • OPERATOR NEVER LICENSED 6
    • DWS/ PRIOR 4
    • DWS/INFRACTION 5
    • SEATBELT – INFRACTION 2
    • CHILD RESTRAINT – INFRACTION 4
    • LICENSE VIOLATIONS – INFRACTION 25
    • IMPROPER TURN – INFRACTION 4
    • EQUIPMENT VIOLATIONS – INFRACTION 1
    • VARIOUS OTHER TRAFFIC OFFENSES – INFRACTION 7
    [FONT=&quot]Lowell Checkpoint – Saturday August 25[/FONT]

• MINOR POSSESSION ALCOHOL – Misdemeanor 1
    • DRIVING WHILE SUSPENDED – Infraction 1
    • CHILD RESTRAINT VIOLATION – Infraction 1
    https://indiana105.com/region-news/lake-county-tsp-aug-24-25-sobriety-checkpoint-results/

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    This is the problem. This whole do what they say or else, even when you're doing nothing wrong. I'm also not convinced they are at all effective. Massive amount of work, massive delays in traffic, nuisance for both police and citizens. I understand many checkpoints are funded by grants and get y'all some overtime pay, but still doesn't make them right. There is no stat that proves them more effective than patrols and just using the grant to have more presence on the streets rather than wasting 99.9 percent of people's time.

Checkpoints are about deterrence, not enforcement. Independent patrols will net far more arrests than any checkpoint. Checkpoints are highly publicized, held in popularly traveled areas, and are lit up like the 4th of July. Deterrence.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    ^^^^^

That is not the purpose of a sobriety checkpoint, and shenanigans like that is what will ultimately get them tossed.
    Welcome to Northwest Indiana. You will find many more stories just like those. I hope you can see now why some have some dismay about them.

[h=1]No DUI Arrests Made During Recent Sobriety Checkpoint in Highland[/h]https://indiana105.com/region-news/...uring-recent-sobriety-checkpoint-in-highland/

• Possession of Narcotics arrest – Misdemeanor 1
    • Driving While Suspended Prior – Misdemeanor 1
    • Driving While Suspended Infraction 9
    • Expired License Plate – Infraction 9
    • Learner’s Permit Violation – Infraction 2
    • Operator Never Licensed – Misdemeanor 1
    • No Valid License in Possession – Infraction 2
    • Child Restraint Violation – Infraction 1
    • Improper Display of License Plate – Infraction 2
    • Disregarding Direction of Traffic Officer – Infraction 1

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    People's positions about these do change quick when someone they love gets slaughtered by a drunk driver. :(
    The longer you live, the more you lose.

Sorry for your loss. Losing people sucks. I don't think this is the answer anymore than prohibition or mandatory interlock devices on every vehicle. I don't want to marginalize your pain or grief.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Checkpoints are about deterrence, not enforcement. Independent patrols will net far more arrests than any checkpoint. Checkpoints are highly publicized, held in popularly traveled areas, and are lit up like the 4th of July. Deterrence.

Again no stats anywhere that says this works. I've never been in an Indiana check point. In Alabama they were straight up intrusive and always ran your info. In New Mexico they commonly had them on the interstate.

I think having officers stationed visibly around parking areas for parties and celebrations would be more effective.

Highly publicized still more than likely doesn't reach the drunk driver. Getting them at the check point didn't stop them from driving drunk to that point. I have been back in Indiana for 3 years and never heard of one being publicized so i see no deterrence.

Top Bottom