What have you got to hide?:shady:

tenor.gif

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    1. I need HoughMade’s number for my placard!

2. You guys musta never lived on a Military post checkpoints are normal as well as gate sweeps.
    This can sometimes include getting frisked and they always look under the car seat.

3. Why no texting and driving checkpoints I am about positive that texting is the new “OWI” ?

4. Operator Never Licensed - Why is this like a big thing?
    Down here we get like 2 or 3 a week on the blotter.
    I can’t understand the logic ?
    How do the unlicensed drivers get registration and insurance?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... I work afternoons and work a lot of the “drive sober or get pulled over” grant OT at night. I’m also on call in the early mornings for SBI/Fatal crashes. Add all that up and 130 isn’t a lot. Our full time DUI unit guys do 300+ annually.

the lions share of arrests are alcohol only but drugs are making their way into the spotlight.

We should be aggressively seeking bad/distracted/left lane lurker/problem driving as opposed to running checkpoints.
    Do people even use turn signals anymore???

Money for VYPDblue is money well spent, but this federal grant money stuff is inefficient. Is it not ALL overtime? How efficient is that for those of us paying the bill? Too often we treat federal "grant" money as if it still isn't really our tax dollars at work.

The Feds need to stick to their business and let local law enforcement handle things locally. It's a sham, that WE are forced to pay for...

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I will have made somewhere around 130 DUI arrests in 2018 and exactly ONE of them came from a checkpoint.

1-3-0? Holy S-balls!!! The most I ever had in a year was 20-25. You talking runs in-between that too?

*edit- nevermind, I just saw the answer.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    An observation and a question.

In 31 years of driving, the last 23 in NWI, I have never encountered a checkpoint.

How many people who preach he Ziploc bag, never roll down he window gospel have ever actually executed this plan in real life?

Just curious.

Ive heard of people trying it, locally, and it's always relayed as a funny story, starting "Did you hear about that dumb guy who..."

The simple workaround people who do that sort of thing, is "step out of the car."

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The court was very clear in it's ruling that assault weapons bans are only acceptable because of the great danger they pose.

Because of the narrow scope of what the court deems OK, I do not see an awb as a gateway for ANY other type of regulation.

Exact same concept imo.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Exact same concept imo.

Respectfully disagree. "Assault Weapons" are just as inherently dangerous as are automobiles. If there were a widespread problem of folks shooting while intoxicated that caused harm to others, I'd absolutely agree with sobriety checkpoints at the gun range. We don't ban cars because of the behaviors of morons, and we shouldn't do it with guns either. The checkpoints are checking for behavior, not items. Totally different concept from a gun ban.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    1. I need HoughMade’s number for my placard!

2. You guys musta never lived on a Military post checkpoints are normal as well as gate sweeps.
    This can sometimes include getting frisked and they always look under the car seat.

3. Why no texting and driving checkpoints I am about positive that texting is the new “OWI” ?

4. Operator Never Licensed - Why is this like a big thing?
    Down here we get like 2 or 3 a week on the blotter.
    I can’t understand the logic ?
    How do the unlicensed drivers get registration and insurance?

Living on a military post vs. public is 2 completely different things. You sign a paper giving full search consent when you get a tag or take your base driving course. Comparing a military base security to a civilian police force isn't / shouldn't ever be a comparison. I can carry my pistol in public, I can't carry it in our office buildings and I signed the dotted line. private vs. public even if that private is publicly owned it's still a completely different ball game.

Texting and driving is a much bigger threat, but the "think of the children" statists don't think enforcing distracted driving is as sexy to donors as "DUI CHECKPOINTS" Showing a bunch of teens and adults getting ticketed isn't as fun to show as a sloppy drunk falling while being humiliated on the side of the road. (not on the drunk's side, just think that after a failed eye test, smell test, just give them a breathalyzer and send them on to further testing if they pass that but are still obviously intoxicated. If they fail the breath test cart them off rather than have them go through all the motions for nothing.)

You don't have to have a drivers license to own and insure a car. I know multiple epileptics who own and insure their vehicles but do not drive them themselves. Plus no insurance company is going to turn down money, and no state is going to tell someone they can't pay a tax.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Living on a military post vs. public is 2 completely different things. You sign a paper giving full search consent when you get a tag or take your base driving course. Comparing a military base security to a civilian police force isn't / shouldn't ever be a comparison. I can carry my pistol in public, I can't carry it in our office buildings and I signed the dotted line. private vs. public even if that private is publicly owned it's still a completely different ball game.

Texting and driving is a much bigger threat, but the "think of the children" statists don't think enforcing distracted driving is as sexy to donors as "DUI CHECKPOINTS" Showing a bunch of teens and adults getting ticketed isn't as fun to show as a sloppy drunk falling while being humiliated on the side of the road. (not on the drunk's side, just think that after a failed eye test, smell test, just give them a breathalyzer and send them on to further testing if they pass that but are still obviously intoxicated. If they fail the breath test cart them off rather than have them go through all the motions for nothing.)

You don't have to have a drivers license to own and insure a car. I know multiple epileptics who own and insure their vehicles but do not drive them themselves. Plus no insurance company is going to turn down money, and no state is going to tell someone they can't pay a tax.

The crash data does NOT show texting to be a bigger threat than impaired driving. The problem with stopping texting from happening is that a lot of states do not have laws against it, and of the ones that do, the statutes don't have teeth. In Indiana, the texting and driving law has ZERO teeth. You can do anything you want with your phone while you drive except text or email. If you get stopped, it is a valid defense that you were watching a youtube video and not texting. For the law to have teeth, it would have to restrict device usage totally and go completely hands-free.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    When I get my autonomous vehicle, do I still need the baggie? Or can I just continue sleeping through the whole thing?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The crash data does NOT show texting to be a bigger threat than impaired driving. The problem with stopping texting from happening is that a lot of states do not have laws against it, and of the ones that do, the statutes don't have teeth. In Indiana, the texting and driving law has ZERO teeth. You can do anything you want with your phone while you drive except text or email. If you get stopped, it is a valid defense that you were watching a youtube video and not texting. For the law to have teeth, it would have to restrict device usage totally and go completely hands-free.

But with hands-free they can still WATCH their youtube video. :):

I am a no-distractions AT ALL advocate.
    No radio, phone, smoking, make-up, sex, (or make-up sex) food, drugs, etc... I will take drinks (water) at stop lights. If I have GPS going I don't fuss with it. Now, if I have a copilot that wants to operate all the gadgets, have at it. It's not that I can't multitask, I just won't. I pull over and stop like the old days if I need to do something.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Which data are you sampling? I know if you go with the 2005 to current (ish) Speeding is number one ( a constant ) DUI is Number 2. But if you limit the time frame to only the last 5 years distracted driving jumps almost to speeding, with DUI falling down to number 5ish under sleeping and other types of distracted driving (eating etc..) Not saying it isn't a problem.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Vu and Kut, thanks to you both for getting in here and sharing. Knowing where each of you work those numbers scare the hell out of me. I have been driving for 31 years and have only been in 1 checkpoint. It was in KY near Lake Cumberland on Labor Day weekend. I don't even remember the officer asking to see my license.

I hold a CDL so my license is my families as well as my lively hood. NOTHING will jeopardize that. Plus it's just wrong to put others in danger.

Back to the CDL part, as a local driver I bet I see 20+ drivers a day texting away on their phones, including people in Commercial vehicles. I see it day in and day out. Don't even get me started on people not using their turn signals.....

Thanks again guys (and all the rest that wear the uniform) for keeping us as safe as you can. -Jason

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    CDL Drivers get the shaft from the Feds when it comes to their licenses and license penalties. I won't ever write a ticket to a CDL driver unless he/she is a total dickbag, but if they're drunk....sorry boutcha.

Top Bottom