• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Stolen is stolen though right? I wonder if you actually file a claim vs asking the agent's opinion?
    Sounds good until they ask for a police report.
    Id imagine that would say recovery of firearm or something of that nature and where it was sent to.
    My luck is that it would end bad for me.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    So the only other alternative you have is to spend thousands of dollars for a lawyer to get back a $500 gun. I’m not saying it’s right but the alternative just doesn’t make sense to me. Let this be a good reminder that one is none and two is one and EDCing a $1000 plus gun for self defense may not be a good idea. Having a exact copy of your carry set up for this types of situations is a plus.
    Since this is a recurring problem, a class action suit seems appropriate

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Most policies have an exclusion for government/police actions.

Aside from the exclusion problem, likely the deductible is most of the cost of the gun, or more. My homeowner's policy has a $1,000 deductible.

Based on the experiences and advice of some of the posters here, don't EDC something that has too much value, either cash value, or sentimental value. You might not get it back timely, if ever.

Pohaku

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    In the middle
    Thank you for all your replies. It seems this is somewhat of a common issue and if truly unjust -it sure feels that way!, then perhaps a class action lawsuit might be in order... and if it falls under a 4th Amendment violation then it will carry more weight. It surprises me that here in Indiana -one of the free-er gun states, that this would be such a problem. It's almost as if the state were anti-2A, understaffed or just plain incompetent -or all three.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you are a resident of the county, call your councilman/commissioner and see what they can do. I had an issue many years ago with something involving the sheriff's dept. I called my state rep and found the detective was suddenly very responsive.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How can the PD demand to conduct a FFL-compliant transfer, when the current owner never transferred the firearm to the PD in the first place? The firearm was seized, not transferred. Thus, the police possess, but do not own, the firearm. It is not theirs to transfer.

(IANAL)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There is another INGOer who had his stolen firearm recovered by IMPD and he has been fighting with them for nearly a year to get it back. I have even gone down there to try and get some professional courtesy and they basically told me to pound sand. I really wish some folks would get together and sue the city over this matter because it is utterly ridiculous.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is another INGOer who had his stolen firearm recovered by IMPD and he has been fighting with them for nearly a year to get it back. I have even gone down there to try and get some professional courtesy and they basically told me to pound sand. I really wish some folks would get together and sue the city over this matter because it is utterly ridiculous.

Wonder how many it would take for Guy to get interested in taking something like this up.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Heard many stories like this over the years.
    My brother had a gun stolen and was recoverd a year later. After he was informed that it was in the property room he still had to contact the detective, do the background check and prints, several phone calls and visits to the property room. Finally after about 8 months he got a call to come pick it up. Sorry but I don't think it will proceed any faster unless you get a lawyer involved. Good luck

I'm in a similar situation right now. It's going on 10 months since the gun was actually recovered. No one called to tell me. If I hadn't been contacting the detective annually to follow up on the 5 year old case I doubt I would have ever known the gun was recovered.

I've have a gun that was stolen and lMPD recovered it. It's been 1 year 4 months since submitting my fingerprints to get the gun released. I guess IMPD has to run a background check before releasing the gun.

Well still no word from IMPD. I've tried calling but never can get anyone to answere. So frustrating to be treated this way!

It's only a Remington 870 but back in the 80's my dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 16. So it has some value to me.

So needless to say that I am subscribed to see how this turns out for the OP. And good luck! I feel you!

See above ... but the last time I called I was able to get someone on the phone to look into where they were in the process. She told me to expect a call in a few weeks. That was about 3 months ago.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I had two pistols removed from my vehicle during a traffic stop and taken to the property room. I was given no receipt. When I went to the police dept to recover removed property they claimed it wasnt in thier possesion. I immediatly told the woman at the window that I was calling the state police to report a theft, and the officer who removed them was who I was going to report had taken them. They very quickly changed thier tune and brought down what I told them they had. down to the magazines, holsters and each round was accounted for by me before leaving. I guess they thought they were going to bully me into not "wanting" to recover my property. The police dept in question is Fishers , hamilton county by the way.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I had two pistols removed from my vehicle during a traffic stop and taken to the property room. I was given no receipt. When I went to the police dept to recover removed property they claimed it wasnt in thier possesion. I immediatly told the woman at the window that I was calling the state police to report a theft, and the officer who removed them was who I was going to report had taken them. They very quickly changed thier tune and brought down what I told them they had. down to the magazines, holsters and each round was accounted for by me before leaving. I guess they thought they were going to bully me into not "wanting" to recover my property. The police dept in question is Fishers , hamilton county by the way.

Maybe this is where Hanlon's Razor applies: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I am glad that you got them on the stick to return your property.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Didn't I read somewhere Guy has (maybe had, if what I am thinking is correct it was a couple years ago if not longer) a deal with the city he won't sue them because he in some way works with/for them at times?

smasherofall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Not wanting to hijack but, how do you find out if they ever recover a stolen firearm? My house was broke into 5 or 6 years ago and I had a rifle and pistol stolen, both serial #'s given.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I'm in a similar situation right now. It's going on 10 months since the gun was actually recovered. No one called to tell me. If I hadn't been contacting the detective annually to follow up on the 5 year old case I doubt I would have ever known the gun was recovered.

See above ... but the last time I called I was able to get someone on the phone to look into where they were in the process. She told me to expect a call in a few weeks. That was about 3 months ago.

You wouldn't. My dad's guns were stolen back in the early 90s. I'm sure they have since been recovered, but nothing has been said to him. He doesn't know where the report is either, so can't even call to ask about them, which is a shame.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I lost 2 guns and had pictures of the serial numbers. Sadly i did t have the receiptfoe one wthe number written on it. You could make out all but one number in the serial number but the officer said it wasnt good enough... I know ill never get that shot gun back but have yet to hear about the pistol. That has been 11 or 12 years and about 3 moves ago.

Top Bottom