• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Nick has really improved since the first match I seen him shoot. Look forward to seeing him shoot some local outdoor matches when the weather is nicer.

He's doing good.......blowing his dads doors off! He's a good kid, and I have more fun watching him, and I am proud of how safe he is with it all! He gets a little disapointed at where he finishes but, I told him the finishes will come, and to listen to the advice that more experienced compe**** have to give......as I'm limited in competing like this. He says he wants to do some outdoor matches when the weather breaks which will be a learning curve, but I just have to make sure we can block off some dares for it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Tell him not focus on the finishes or the results of the matches, but to focus on the fundamentals which he is doing. The results will take care of themselves when the fundamentals are there. He is headed in the right direction. The finish in the newbie match speaks loudly.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Tell him not focus on the finishes or the results of the matches, but to focus on the fundamentals which he is doing. The results will take care of themselves when the fundamentals are there. He is headed in the right direction. The finish in the newbie match speaks loudly.

I will Coach, and thanks again! Nick really looks up to you for advice!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To quote CB45, "Glocks are stupid!"

My hits seemed to be randomly placed on some targets, then on about a third of them I had two shots within a couple of inches, but never where I thought I was aiming and never in the same place. Oh, and the misses. Consistent trigger control continues to be an issue for me with the Glock, which is why I've been using them in the matches to practice. Still not sure why my marksmanship is so much better in the dark with the same gun at the same or longer distances on smaller targets, though. I've been using the light to get as close to the same sight picture as I can to what I see in the dark, but I'm not getting the same results.

Practice is cheating even if you're using the match as practice, but I'll continue to cheat. Well, I might break out the 9mm 1911 for the next match so I can actually hit where I intend to hit, but maybe not.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...Consistent trigger control continues to be an issue for me with the Glock, which is why I've been using them in the matches to practice...Practice is cheating even if you're using the match as practice, but I'll continue to cheat. Well, I might break out the 9mm 1911 for the next match so I can actually hit where I intend to hit, but maybe not.

There are some who would say using the 1911 is cheating! It's amazing what a dose of heavy gun with short reset trigger can do as an instant "hack" for cheating yourself some more trigger control (not saying developing the skill should be neglected, just stating the obvious). If the RIA high-cap 1911 9mms ever become available in numbers, I'm wondering if they won't take off and become the bees-knees range and house gun?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There are some who would say using the 1911 is cheating! It's amazing what a dose of heavy gun with short reset trigger can do as an instant "hack" for cheating yourself some more trigger control (not saying developing the skill should be neglected, just stating the obvious). If the RIA high-cap 1911 9mms ever become available in numbers, I'm wondering if they won't take off and become the bees-knees range and house gun.

After shooting Glocks for a while, shooting a 1911 is suddenly much easier than it used to be!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Glocks... Genius marketing & marginal guns.

Yep. If you have to have a Glock (or a 1911) to score well, what does that say for a persons ability? I can see a dbl stack 1911 shaving a bit of time via the trigger vs a Glock/M&P/etc, but I bet that if you put any reliable pistol in the hands of a top flight shooter, (s)he'd still be a top flight shooter.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yep. If you have to have a Glock (or a 1911) to score well, what does that say for a persons ability? I can see a dbl stack 1911 shaving a bit of time via the trigger vs a Glock/M&P/etc, but I bet that if you put any reliable pistol in the hands of a top flight shooter, (s)he'd still be a top flight shooter.

yeah......

No.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    So USPSA and IDPA are more about gear than skill? I find that hard to believe.

See how many people win with hi-points. ;)

Good equipment helps a good shooter perform to his/her potential. Skill is still the main thing, no question. That said, a good shooter is going to do better with a gun with a decent trigger and better accuracy than he/she will do with something like a hi-point. They may shoot the hi-point better than Joe Sixpack, but so what? Will that good shooter shoot a turd gun better than that same shooter can run a decent gun? Nope.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    See how many people win with hi-points. ;)

Good equipment helps a good shooter perform to his/her potential.

While I agree that good gear helps maximize potential, I suspect you'd trounce me with a Hi Point no matter whether I had a Glock, CZ/EAA, 1911 or whatever.

My point is that for the VAST majority of shooters, their firearm of choice is better than they are. If you factor in the number of people that buy a pistol, shoot it once or twice and then put it in the nightstand, a hi point would serve them well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    While I agree that good gear helps maximize potential, I suspect you'd trounce me with a Hi Point no matter whether I had a Glock, CZ/EAA, 1911 or whatever.

My point is that for the VAST majority of shooters, their firearm of choice is better than they are. If you factor in the number of people that buy a pistol, shoot it once or twice and then put it in the nightstand, a hi point would serve them well.

That's not really the point for most competitors.

My performance relative to my own potential is the benchmark. NOT my performance relative to someone that just started playing the game, or someone that put a mag or 2 through the gun an called it good, or to the average gun owner, or whatever.

Being better than the "number of people that buy a pistol, shoot it once or twice and then put it in the nightstand" isn't the goal for the vast majority of competitors, and probably shouldn't be the goal for anyone.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have took a lot of advice from Rob377 and other Veteran USPSA shooters as this was my first year shooting USPSA. You can have thousands of dollars invested in guns and gear. That doesn't give you any benefit if you don't practice live fire and dry fire. Plus you need to practice all the basics fundamentals and skills. Rob377 gave me some of the best advice a week ago. I was going to buy another gun and try to shoot another division. I already shoot 2 divisions. Rob377 told me to take the money I was going to spend on another gun and spend it on stuff for me to be able to practice shooting more and practice the fundametals and skills more.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have took a lot of advice from Rob377 and other Veteran USPSA shooters as this was my first year shooting USPSA. You can have thousands of dollars invested in guns and gear. That doesn't give you any benefit if you don't practice live fire and dry fire. Plus you need to practice all the basics fundamentals and skills. Rob377 gave me some of the best advice a week ago. I was going to buy another gun and try to shoot another division. I already shoot 2 divisions. Rob377 told me to take the money I was going to spend on another gun and spend it on stuff for me to be able to practice shooting more and practice the fundametals and skills more.

I agree 100% with that. My position is that the gear plays the smallest part as long as it's reliable and not wildly inaccurate.

Rob, I have no idea what you shoot, but how much did you gain when you switched to whatever you shoot now? Was that gain immediate and repeatable? It's a serious question...

Top Bottom