Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Limited is the high-capacity division; Production limits you to 10 in the mag. Your gun can do either; the only question is which one to sign up for when you enter.

My advice; as a recent beginner myself, take it for what it's worth, but I'd recommend taking your high-cap 9, loading the mags to capacity, and shoot Limited. Only being confronted with running out of bullets about once per typical stage will allow you to work on reloads, but not be so focused on them that you spend more time on them than you do keeping your head up and shooting.

It's like getting interrupted at work; interruptions kill, and they kill you more when you're a noob and learning to cope with a bunch of new things you have to learn. I shot single stack my first few matches and spent so much time with my head down making a beer run for more ammo on 30+ shot stages, every time I got my sights back on target I had to figure out where I was at and completely re-orient myself to the task once again. Rob made the comment on a previous thread that you're only scoring when you're shooting. I recommend focusing on the division that maximizes shooting in the beginning, and save the divisions that add in more complex tasks and non-value-added distractions later, when your mind is able to absorb what's happening better.

Take your bullet-hose gun, load it to the max, and give yourself a break the first couple times out. Just my $0.02, from somebody who's not even classified yet.

I recommend Limited minor to a lot of people starting out. It hurts some on the scores because of minor, but it allows people to focus on the shooting and the rules and the gun handling. When they get their feet on the ground then they can start worrying about breaking down the stages for other divisions. The same stage can be an entirely different beast in Single Stack or production than it is in Open and Limited. I have had my daughter shooting Limited Minor for those same reasons and because she was not strong enough to handle the recoil of the 40 yet. She has just recently moved up to major and I have lost the availability of my Brazos Limited gun, and i am conflicted at so many levels about that.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I recommend Limited minor to a lot of people starting out. It hurts some on the scores because of minor, but it allows people to focus on the shooting and the rules and the gun handling. When they get their feet on the ground then they can start worrying about breaking down the stages for other divisions. The same stage can be an entirely different beast in Single Stack or production than it is in Open and Limited. I have had my daughter shooting Limited Minor for those same reasons and because she was not strong enough to handle the recoil of the 40 yet. She has just recently moved up to major and I have lost the availability of my Brazos Limited gun, and i am conflicted at so many levels about that.
    LOL...just gives you another reason to build a gun.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    For what it is worth,
    I have shot UPSA since 2003. I have shot many Area matches and the 2012 Limited Nationals. I have never had someone check mag length. My stuff is legal as far as I know. But I would guess there are lots of folks out there who are not legal. A can of worms that has not been opened in my experiences. Perhaps with a new guy running NROI something may change, but I doubt it.

Good to know

Top Bottom