south of richmond in
    Last edited:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Oh that was a good time. I'm already plotting my builds for the next one, you guys are gonna cost me a fortune....but who really cares right? I'm telling you that was a good bunch of guys and gals that could really shoot and new their equipment, I was really impressed. Lookin forward to the pics.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the thing i like about these shoots or basically any shooting comp ive been to it that the shooting comunity does not seam to be out for blood like alot of sports. i for instance today somone was on the line shooting and thought they might run out of 308 ammo. igw threw the guy his 308 ammo to save the guy some time. it was the same with the spotters on the rimfire and centerfire. i used igws mags to speed up my time. i have 2 ai 5rd mags but his 10rd mag saved me some time and a mag change. even though i short stroked and jamed my rifle just like i did last year at the timed comp. somone had a cz with 5rd mags and i offered to let them use mine to speed there time up (even though there cz 452 was a 17 so my mags wouldn't work) its the thought that counts right

basically to me everyone out there was more concerned with making sure everyone learned and had a good time than actually winning anything.

tons of pics were taken and igw has the actual scores.

also a huge thanks to tophat. defintally could not have done it without him. he really kept everything flowing and running smooth alot better than i could have. orginazation isn't my strong suit. plus having him there let me focus on spotting, and shooting, and helping everyone out

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I would definately agree with that. Heck, I was loading mags for the guy shootin my rifle...who beat me with it! There were definately no secrets to anything, nobody was too proud to let you checkout their equipment, I mean when your calling in dope to the guy that is trying to beat you!? It was really that friendly and laid back.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I would like to say thanks to 42769vette for hosting the event!

I had no inclination of winning anything - am very new to long range shooting. And I was absolutely humbled by the wind, and my inexperience today. But it was a pleasure to meet everyone and get a chance to shoot with them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    a Great time was had by all!

:DThe chow was fine, the wind was brisk, and the shooting was entertaining! It was great to put faces on the tags here. Some really cool equipment was out and working and a great bunch of helpful folks for us beginners.:)
    Special Kudo's to the man with the paint can hiding down range. We couldn't have counted hits w/o him!:yesway::yesway::yesway:
    My tall skinny kid made me look bad. He took third best time with MY three guns. A cobbled together 22/45, a tricked up 10/22 and a RRA Varmint rifle shooting American Eagle 55 gr FMJ ball ammo. And no mil-dots in his scope!:rockwoot:

On a side note, there is a brown and tan soft gun case that belongs to me over there somewhere so if anybody locates it I could use it. It had the cz trainer that 42769vette bought from me and it never made it back to the truck.:dunno:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    the thing i like about these shoots or basically any shooting comp ive been to it that the shooting comunity does not seam to be out for blood like alot of sports.

I definately saw this. By the later shooters everyone knew the wind. Now only Vette had no misses at 700, BUT it is his land.

Thanks to everyone who put in all the work making this event run well.

Great shoot. I had an awesome time and it was good to see people from last year and good to meet some others. I'm still chewing dirt. It was really nice on the way home but the windows stayed up. I couldn't take anymore wind. It quickly became a class III shoot. Awesome MG and suppressor!

Vette, that wind is nuts. Again.

Good shooting IGW.

Does anyone else have a sunburn? My face is burnt to a crisp.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    First, if you have not done so yet, got to the top of this thread and give vette some rep, he deserves it.

So my day kicked off at 6 am when i woke up and drove to the farm. my wife and i were there by 730 am and vette had already been there for an hour getting things set up. I didnt want to be the guy who wasted everyone elses time shooting a rifle that was just put together, glass bedded, trigger installed, and scope mounted the day before on 40 hours w/out sleep. so we got there early to get things dialed in, or at least get a 100 yard zero to start the day with. things came together nicely as my wife and i shot a 1/2 moa group together. thats right, i shot three she shot 5 a the SAME target and all our rounds combined were still .5 moa. i love this rifle. so we moved to 700 and w/ vette as a spotter, i guessed my dope fired once, he gave me a correction and the next shot was on steel at 700 BINGO.

then tophat and crew showed up. it was tophat, tony (forget your INGO name), tony's wife christina, and tophats daughter missy. These are some of the best people that you can come accross in this world. they showed up at 8 am after a 2 hour drive pulling a trailer full of goodies and a 4 wheeler. they brough all of the wind flags we used, the tables we set up on, tony did all the painting of the targets and called all the hits at the 700 yard mark. Have to give him credit for that because he sat in a sheltered area downrange for several hours BY HIMSELF to make sure our spotters could give the proper corrections. Tophat controlled the shoot calling the shooters, writing down the scores, and doing all the math. and while this shoot would not have been possible w/out vette, it would not have been smooth if it were not for tophat and tony. Have to give credit to the ladies for coming out and proving that this gun thing is NOT a mans sport because they all could hold their own thats for sure. christina is a natral she just takes a long time to make everything perfect. missy is a crackshot as well, but doesnt like to admit it. and jamie well i cant say much about that because then i would be admitting my wife is a better shot than I.

people started trickling in, stories were told and probably exgaggerated, everybody seemed to be getting along great. sighters went about 20 times faster than last year, and before you know it May, vettes wife had the buffee line set up and ready for us to eat. MAN that was some good eatin. i think vette put her up to it to get everybody so full that they couldnt concentrate hard enough to beat allen. i was onto that game though, so i just ate coffee cake and my theory proved to be correct in the end as i topped allen by 53 seconds. sorry allen, i got a whole year to rub this one in until you get another shot at the title.

once we started shooting every one helped everyone out. we never had less than 5 spotters and like allen said everybody helped everybody out. it was a great time. somtime the wind would mess w/ a shooter making them change the POA and sometimes the shooter could get all their rounds off before the wind changed, but thats the name of the game. It was fun to see the differant strategies and going closer to last definatly helped because i saw byron (forgot ingo name) slide forward and shoot the pistol prone. if it werent for seeing that trick, there is no way i would have been the only person to not miss a shot on the pistol.

now we moved to the centerfire, and i think the time pressure got to some people. some misses were called that the shooter corrected for assuming it was wind, but the shot was really pulled by the shooter. that started a snowball effect for some people but i dont think we had ANYone not get all 10 hits. gotta give the credit to the spotters here for keeping the rounds flying true. speaking of spotters, the ONLY reason i only had one miss is because of vette spotting for me. everyone with a .308 had around 1.5-2 minutes of wind dialed so i started w/ 2 and missed. if someone would have said missed right, i would have thought i was close and held just a bit more left, and would have missed again, this probably would have gone on for several shots, BUT instead my spotter allen, called the shot right, called the adjustment "hold 2 more moa left" w/out questioning him, or even thinking about anything else, i moved two more hashmarks left in my scope and quickly squeezed the trigger. TING. allen would have won the competition if he didnt do such a good job spotting for me, so credit goes to him, and if you ever need a good spotter you can trust it would be vette.

ok, well thats my aar of the whole thing, cant wait to hear what other people have to say. pictures to follow in my next post.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    700 yard target its the last hill on the left before you hit the trees.
    DSCN0762.jpg

200 yard rimfire target
    DSCN0721.jpg

DSCN0840.jpg

DSCN0838.jpg

DSCN0831.jpg

DSCN0829.jpg

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0825.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0808.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0793.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0757.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0736.jpg

DSCN0723.jpg

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    DSCF0120-1.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0099-1.jpg

there are about 80 more photos, so if i didnt get one of you i apologize, i tried to pick a wide variety of photos and got tired after the 3rd hour long photobucket upload.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    byron who slide forward on the pistol is turnandshoot4 on here.

i did learn one thing. when i get in a hurry i have a bad habit of short stroking my bolt. last year i did it with my rimfire, this year i did it with my centerfire.

both comps it cost be valuable time. all the more reason to slow down. i think who ever is the calmest will win this style shoot.

whats the saying slow is steady steady is fast (or somthing like that) defintally rings true for both my shoots.

the pics turned out great but just for referance i dont shoot everything with my eyes closed just full auto apparentally.

also i dont put my left have on the forarm when shooting prone. i was spotting but still bad form

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Ill raise my hand for feeling the pressure...I was in 2nd after the rimfire/pistol section and folded like a house of cards on the 700 yd line. My rifle was running good but I tried to run it so fast it cost me big time. No excuses for me, like vette said, just got in a hurry. Good pics too!

I don't know about you guys, we were talkin on the way home and jrainw wins our vote for the best shot...that guy made us look silly using those iron sight at 700 yds! I'm still shaking my head over that.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom