• Status
    Not open for further replies.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hey, I free floated it by taking off that barrel band. Didn't even have to send it to a gunsmith.

Thanks for the results! I knew rimfire would be a problem going in. I don't have a 17hmr and I had to use a scope. I don't see it getting better anytime soon either. I plan on getting a few cans before I buy a small caliber rifle.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Hey, I free floated it by taking off that barrel band. Didn't even have to send it to a gunsmith.

Thanks for the results! I knew rimfire would be a problem going in. I don't have a 17hmr and I had to use a scope. I don't see it getting better anytime soon either. I plan on getting a few cans before I buy a small caliber rifle.

your 10/22 will work just fine, just needed a scope on it at that distance. we normally shoot a 4 inch target at that distance but decided to bump it up for the shoot. a 10/22 w/ a factory barrel will be just as accurate as one w/ a fancy barrel at that distance.... that and a trigger job will help more than anything else that you can do.

tnicholas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Greenfield
    speaking of scopes we are shopping for a scope with good QTA for Christina's gun. Have any recommendations. We had a great time and was good meeting everybody and cant wait untill next shoot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    speaking of scopes we are shopping for a scope with good QTA for Christina's gun. Have any recommendations. We had a great time and was good meeting everybody and cant wait untill next shoot.

for those wondering this is tony the guy on the atv at the shoot.

what is qta? what price range?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    your 10/22 will work just fine, just needed a scope on it at that distance. we normally shoot a 4 inch target at that distance but decided to bump it up for the shoot. a 10/22 w/ a factory barrel will be just as accurate as one w/ a fancy barrel at that distance.... that and a trigger job will help more than anything else that you can do.

I had a leupold VX-II on it and I ran out of elevation adjustments. I was aiming about 4 feet high (think the green patch above the target).

I was hoping you got a pic of me with my lean forward onto the concrete. :cool: I'm a trend setter.

tnicholas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Greenfield
    I put shims under the back end of her mount to get the adjustment for the two hundred yrd target. Christina took a lot of pics with top hats camera she just might have got that shot we havent seen those yet.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Natchez has a simmons4x12x40 Pro sport riflescope AO turplex reticle for $50. Any opinions?

simmons is probably the best bang for your buck optic on the market, but it probably wont track well. im not sure what the turplex reticle is but make sure you get a recticle that you can use hold overs.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Is there another one of these planed? The original thread sounds like it utilized land that will have crops planted soon so i guess there will not be another one until fall? Is it open to anyone (i.e. me)?

Always wanted to try a 3 gun and i can think of no better way than this (the alternative is diving straight into a competition with no guidance or helping hands around like there would be here).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Is there another one of these planed? The original thread sounds like it utilized land that will have crops planted soon so i guess there will not be another one until fall? Is it open to anyone (i.e. me)?

Always wanted to try a 3 gun and i can think of no better way than this (the alternative is diving straight into a competition with no guidance or helping hands around like there would be here).

my shoots are open to anyone (ie you) i knew a 7 shooters prior to the shoot and a few of them i had know for a week. alot of folks think its odd that i dont mind inviting strangers to my property, but i dont think ive ever met a "gun guy or gal" i didn't like or call a friend after a day on the range.

sadly my beautiful range gets tore down this weekend for planting. this is the second annual shoot on my farm and im sure ill do somthing like this next year. i dont think ill do another 3 gun for awile since i just did one.

next year im leaning towards a scoring comp instid on a timed comp but there is alot of time between now and then so who knows what ill come up with.

igw, igws wife, darklight, turnandshoot4, have attended both of my shoots. i think ive got a few soon to be repeat shooters from last weekends event. atleast i hope so.

this past shoot was not a standard 3 gun shoot (shotgun, rifle, pistol). i skipped shotguns and added rimfire and the rifle was not short distance.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    my shoots are open to anyone (ie you) i knew a 7 shooters prior to the shoot and a few of them i had know for a week. alot of folks think its odd that i dont mind inviting strangers to my property, but i dont think ive ever met a "gun guy or gal" i didn't like or call a friend after a day on the range.

sadly my beautiful range gets tore down this weekend for planting. this is the second annual shoot on my farm and im sure ill do somthing like this next year. i dont think ill do another 3 gun for awile since i just did one.

next year im leaning towards a scoring comp instid on a timed comp but there is alot of time between now and then so who knows what ill come up with.

igw, igws wife, darklight, turnandshoot4, have attended both of my shoots. i think ive got a few soon to be repeat shooters from last weekends event. atleast i hope so.

this past shoot was not a standard 3 gun shoot (shotgun, rifle, pistol). i skipped shotguns and added rimfire and the rifle was not short distance.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. It is very nice of you to open up your land and host a shooting event.
    I will keep any eye out for you next one!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I was waiting for someone else, but here is the rifle that won it. I say won it because i was NOT in the lead going into the centerfire shoot.

Savage model 10.
    Savage barrel that i removed and reinstalled to tighten up the headspace a bit.
    24 inch 1x10 twist .308
    SSS bolt handle
    roller bearing bolt lift kit installed by me.
    lugs lapped.
    manners t5 stock pillar bedded by yours truly 1 day before the shoot
    CDI bottom metal that takes AI mags
    SSS trigger set to a tad over 2 pounds
    XLR industries cheek piece installed at manners
    NEAR 20 moa steel base
    USO sn3 Tpal scope w/ MDMOA reticle and ergo elevation knob. 3.2-17 power FFP
    Weaver scope mounted bubble level
    USO rings 30mm med highth

savagecomplete.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff