Not open for further replies.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i offered to let folks use my guns for the price of ammo earlier. i know of one person who is using mine, but if you plan on using it just let me know so i can have enough ammo on hand.

also somthing i thought i should mention. with a 22lr it takes about 24 moa from a 50yd zero to get to 200 yds. some scopes do not have enough internal travel to dial out that far. if your scope has 50 moa internal adjustment and you are sighted in @ 50 and are in the perfect center of the adjustment you will be very close. obviously being sighted in on the exact center of your adjustment is not likley you will normally be one at least a few moa one way or the other.

this should not be a issue if you have any kind of marks in your recticle besides the main crosshair or dot. if you have a recticle like mildots you can use them as holdover. if not you may be holding over in thin air. just somthing to keep in mind

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    Hey Everyone! I meant to come out of the lurking shadows a while ago, but between the new job, trying to buy a house, and the girlfriend I tend to just read and not comment.

But I am absolutely stoked about this event and am really grateful that our awesome host is letting us do this again.

i offered to let folks use my guns for the price of ammo earlier. i know of one person who is using mine, but if you plan on using it just let me know so i can have enough ammo on hand.

also somthing i thought i should mention. with a 22lr it takes about 24 moa from a 50yd zero to get to 200 yds. some scopes do not have enough internal travel to dial out that far. if your scope has 50 moa internal adjustment and you are sighted in @ 50 and are in the perfect center of the adjustment you will be very close. obviously being sighted in on the exact center of your adjustment is not likley you will normally be one at least a few moa one way or the other.

this should not be a issue if you have any kind of marks in your recticle besides the main crosshair or dot. if you have a recticle like mildots you can use them as holdover. if not you may be holding over in thin air. just somthing to keep in mind

Yeah, I found this out about 3 weeks ago when I tried to zero at 200 yards and ran out of clicks. But hey, its a lot easier to hold 1/2 foot above target than 2 feet. Now I just have to convince turnandshoot to put a scope on his 10/22 and not go with the iron sites this year. HINT HINT BUDDY!

Anyone mind If I bring my SCAR 16 to shoot after the competition? Don't know how much ammo I can make after I finish reloading the 308's but I'll try to bring some 223 so everyone that wants to can try it out.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Time?

At what hour of the morning do the festivities begin? First light? right after lunch? .308 is sighted in 21 inches high at 100. Feels funny holding almost 5 mildots low to hit the 8" pinger at 250yds.:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    At what hour of the morning do the festivities begin? First light? right after lunch? .308 is sighted in 21 inches high at 100. Feels funny holding almost 5 mildots low to hit the 8" pinger at 250yds.:D

yet to be determined. i dont want to do first light for folks like turnandshoot who have a 4+ hour drive.

just a guess but im thinking 10ish

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Sheesh. I couldn't even make first light if I wanted to. I get out at 12 in Gary. That's a 5 hour drive or so. The earliest I could be there is 5am Chicago time Vette. I'll just take a nap while I drive down.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I know we'll be getting our play toys ringin steel here this week and should be pretty close when we get there. Brownie and I were talkin and we thought it will be more fun meeting everyone and seeing thier guns than the actual dispersion of lead.....which is just a bonus really.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    All I need are directions , a time when I'm supposed to get there, and a windless day!

ill send addy and time in a pm in a few days. as far as the wind im not going to be much help there, its so flat around our farm that its windy there when its not anywhere else.

the nice thing is that our farm is the only rolly ground for miles around so somtimes when your really lucky you will feel wind on your right cheak and see mirage down range going left to right because it runs diffrent dirrections up diffrent valleys.

i shot last week some time and dialed 1.5moa left and had a 3 oclock to 9 oclock wind at my shooting position. it makes for a humbling, learning experiance

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i sent everyone a message except faceplant. i cant seam to find him on the registers os if oneshot could forward it to him id appriciate it.

if you did not get a message post up and ill send it.

arivial time is between 930 and 10. id like to have sighters done by 11. i know we have one shooter that needs to leave early. you will get your rimfire sighters from a diffrent shot on the farm than the actual shooting is done from. im doing this so we can split into a couple groups, and do sighters and then switch ranges and wepons.

originially i was hoping to shoot centerfire roll over and do rimfire, stand and do pistol., that wont work for safty reasons. so the centerfire will be done in one stage, then the rimfire and pistol will be done together.

i still think the most fun is the shooting after the actual competition is done

there will be a 10 second time addition for a miss.

i think that covers everything, but if not post up as im sure i forgot somthing.

i look forward to meeting everyone.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    yahooo......just saw long range weather forecast on ch 8 how about 64 degrees next sunday. beats the heck out of the 23 degrees i'm got right now. i know, possible rain but i'll take anything over this.....daryll

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so whats everyone think about this. in the interest time

on each stage 30 shot limit. if you dont make 10 hits in 30 tries your quit and you time is recorded as 1 minute longer than the slowest completed time. post your opinion

also im going to change the long range from 725 to 700. this allows me to move the target a little to make spotting misses alot easier.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I'm less interested in the competition than I am the experience and meeting some other shooters. I'm very green to distance shooting, so it should be interesting. Hope to learn something.

That said, it's hard for me to have an opinion, and I'm ok with however you set this up.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm less interested in the competition than I am the experience and meeting some other shooters. I'm very green to distance shooting, so it should be interesting. Hope to learn something.

That said, it's hard for me to have an opinion, and I'm ok with however you set this up.

i would love to do unlimited shots, i would love to take every shooter out individually to get them on target, but i just dont think it will work. hypothetically spotter can not see vapor trail and the shooter has sent 30 rds down range with no clue where they are hitting there for no clue how to adjust. it could easily make for 1 hr on one shooter cutting into the play around time wich will probably be the best part.

after the actual comp if we cant get on target @ 700 we can go up to 200 and walk our way out (time allowing).

im just thinking outloud here folks so chime in.

plus my range is a pita to read wind on. there are so many vallies that wind will be comming from 3-4 dirrections by the time it reaches the 700yd target. alot of times im not talking about slight dirrection changes im talking 180 degree changes. hopfully we have a light wind that day but top hat 45 and i shot today in 20ish mph gusts and it was chalenging to say the least

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Looking to make it a weekend trip with the wife and kids, Will the event be family friendly? I would hate for them to have to be stuck in the hotel all day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom