Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of course, I've seen that one.
    Funny as hell.
    :)

Of course you have.

BTW- The only other forum I'm active on right now is an Allis Chalmers vintage tractor forum. You cruise along there with everyone being nicy-nice and helpful and the WHAM- when the brutality breaks out it is super brutal. INGO has way less amplitude.

Years ago, I was on a vintage British car forum and those guys were nothing but nice all the time and couldn't even be baited into prickishness.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    For people that came up on the old alt newsgroups, talk of this place being harsh is really strange...

People think the early public internet was the wild west, hah. In the usenet newsfroups you had to make your reputation or you'd get your face ripped off. I used to hang out on alt.2600 and such quite a bit. Talk about anarchy.

Here, when I'm not clowning I try to contribute; some of what I think I know is actually true (it surprises me too, sometimes), and I don't mind being contradicted if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn as much as to teach, and I don't condition my opinion of someone's statements on their post count. I've also found myself able to mellow quite a bit in the (mostly) peaceful environment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A lot of the folks that have trouble with INGO either have issues in playing nice with people in general or bring trouble upon themselves in other ways.

Gun owners in general often have a tendency to be type A personalities. Some don't take well to not having their words treated as gospel. They will push back, regardless of being way or totally outnumbered on opinion/fact. This is where the "dog pile" starts.

How many that have been "dog piled" have been in the right and everyone doing the piling are wrong?

There are those that just wont learn some things. They won't be convinced that they could be mistaken regardless of the numbers and intelligence trying to convince otherwise. :dunno:

AMEN.

As far as type-A personalities go, I'm going to mix and match models. I think more of the problems we see that are personality-related are likely beta males who either mistakenly believe they are alphas or who desperately want to be alphas, but lack the characteristics necessary to be one. In less civilized times, that set of problems was resolved sooner or later with . . . finality. In our kinder, gentler society, it's just something that's going to keep happening.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    People think the early public internet was the wild west, hah. In the usenet newsfroups you had to make your reputation or you'd get your face ripped off. I used to hang out on alt.2600 and such quite a bit. Talk about anarchy.

Here, when I'm not clowning I try to contribute; some of what I think I know is actually true (it surprises me too, sometimes), and I don't mind being contradicted if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn as much as to teach, and I don't condition my opinion of someone's statements on their post count. I've also found myself able to mellow quite a bit in the (mostly) peaceful environment.

My take is that in those days:

• Complete anonymity was more possible than today.
    • The participants spanned a much narrower demographic than those who inhabit the interwebs today. The rage that arises from familiarity and similarity is unparalleled - consider Christmas and Thanksgiving family gatherings and the typical holiday rage that ensues or tribal warfare that arises among groups whose differences would be be described as insignificant by an outside observer.
    • We have artificial social constructs online now that sometimes mirror meat space, but continue to evolve. In the days of usenet groups, no such conventions existed and for many participants, it was the first time they had been without some form of adult supervision during their lifespan. Not only were there no parents, teachers, or cops, but there were no witness who cared or if they cared, could do anything about it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh yes, much narrower demo. My first exposure was on ARPAnet back in 1982, and that was mostly trading jokes, text versions of Xerox memes, game software. Later on, the hackers, phreaks, and pr0n dominated, and it was like unrefined 4chan. I'd definitely agree with the anonymity, though if you know your way around you can still have it. By the time I was on 2600 I was a civilized adult, having to be at least a little cautious that things didn't get on my permanent record. Not everyone had to worry about such things. I remember one incident where I gently politicked someone not to engage in a felony violation by telling him there wasn't anything in it for him. There really wasn't, but curiosity kills cats.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh yes, much narrower demo. My first exposure was on ARPAnet back in 1982, and that was mostly trading jokes, text versions of Xerox memes, game software. Later on, the hackers, phreaks, and pr0n dominated, and it was like unrefined 4chan. I'd definitely agree with the anonymity, though if you know your way around you can still have it. By the time I was on 2600 I was a civilized adult, having to be at least a little cautious that things didn't get on my permanent record. Not everyone had to worry about such things. I remember one incident where I gently politicked someone not to engage in a felony violation by telling him there wasn't anything in it for him. There really wasn't, but curiosity kills cats.

Ah, the good ol' days when everyone who dwelled outside of Compuserve, GEnie, and local BBSs knew unix and liked to argue over the merit of their preferred shell.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There are what 100 million gun owners in America? No way even half are in the "Alpha" category.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think INGO is just fine. I don't frequent other forums two much. I think I am only even on two others without nearly the post count just because I like it here and the people here. But both of those can be way worse even with one having pretty good moderation. I didn't grab an account until after a few years of always lurking on here since maybe 2010 or so. I know there are a ton of guys who have been on way longer but I've always felt like it was ok. I don't think I've ever been victim of a dog pile or negative rep. At least people are halfway kind and able to speak their mind.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think INGO is just fine. I don't frequent other forums two much. I think I am only even on two others without nearly the post count just because I like it here and the people here. But both of those can be way worse even with one having pretty good moderation. I didn't grab an account until after a few years of always lurking on here since maybe 2010 or so. I know there are a ton of guys who have been on way longer but I've always felt like it was ok. I don't think I've ever been victim of a dog pile or negative rep. At least people are halfway kind and able to speak their mind.
    You're missing the point... this is the thread where we all dogpile on INGO as a whole!!! Get with it man!!

To be fair (and as a follow-up to what I've previously said), I have thick skin but if I felt INGO really met the definition of "harsh" I wouldn't be here. I do not agree with many of the goings-on, and I have no doubt that it has scared off many new people that don't yet understand the dynamics of an online forum, but it's not really "harsh". So on that accord I must agree with many posters stating that fact.

That being said, this thread is a GREAT chance for all of us to look at ourselves in the mirror and really think about if we're too harsh; a chance for the mods to examine how they are running things, and discover what the members think about how these things are handled. That is not a bad thing, we (as human-beings) really need to look in the mirror more often.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Even though I did a good bit of C coding I just stayed with ed under the Bourne shell. I'm pretty vanilla that way, but then my favorite programming language is solder.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You're missing the point... this is the thread where we all dogpile on INGO as a whole!!! Get with it man!!

To be fair (and as a follow-up to what I've previously said), I have thick skin but if I felt INGO really met the definition of "harsh" I wouldn't be here. I do not agree with many of the goings-on, and I have no doubt that it has scared off many new people that don't yet understand the dynamics of an online forum, but it's not really "harsh". So on that accord I must agree with many posters stating that fact.

That being said, this thread is a GREAT chance for all of us to look at ourselves in the mirror and really think about if we're too harsh; a chance for the mods to examine how they are running things, and discover what the members think about how these things are handled. That is not a bad thing, we (as human-beings) really need to look in the mirror more often.

I'm tired of buying new mirrors.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I think an advantage we have, is that many of us meet one another in real life. Some of us are not so 'anonymous'.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have decided to create a small test to see if INGO has actually moved beyond it's harsh, dog piling past. If you can read the paragraph below without eye twitching, vein popping rage then consider yourself a cultured and sensitive INGOer. Please do not read the following paragraph if you suffer from a heart condition, high blood pressure or have had too much coffee.

You have been warned.

So, I stopped at Subway today for a sandwich. I was open carrying my tactical Hi-Point. I had it in my waistband because holsters are a waste of money. Anyway, several people were looking at me funny so I said "don't worry. I have a gun permit." I guess that wasn't good enough because later a police officer approached me and asked to see my LTCH. I told him that isn't necessary because I don't carry a round in the chamber just several in the clip. I also informed him I am a member of an elite tactical team that protects the second largest mall in Indiana. Well, things went down hill from there pretty fast. Long story short........I think he stole my wallet.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have decided to create a small test to see if INGO has actually moved beyond it's harsh, dog piling past. If you can read the paragraph below without eye twitching, vein popping rage then consider yourself a cultured and sensitive INGOer. Please do not read the following paragraph if you suffer from a heart condition, high blood pressure or have had too much coffee.

You have been warned.

So, I stopped at Subway today for a sandwich. I was open carrying my tactical Highpoint. I had it in my waistband because holsters are a waste of money. Anyway, several people were looking at me funny so I said "don't worry. I have a gun permit." I guess that wasn't good enough because later a police officer approached me and asked to see my LTCH. I told him that isn't necessary because I don't carry a round in the chamber just several in the clip. I also informed him I am a member of an elite tactical team that protects the second largest mall in Indiana. Well, things went down hill from there pretty fast. Long story short........I think he stole my wallet.

... Am I part of INGO history?

I'm honored.

Top Bottom