• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I raised a Finch when that was in the same situation when I was in high school. For the life of me I can't remember what I fed it what it was young. But it was neat, once it could fly I would let it out in my parents house and it would fly around and land on my finger. I turned it loose after I knew it was strong enough to survive on it own.

Did a quick google search and found a handy link for you.
    Journey North American Robin

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Uh . . . are you sure?

Carrion feeders like vultures have notoriously keen olfactory senses. Robins may be among those species with minimally functional smellers, but some species do smell.
    Yes I am sure. Vultures are the exception that proves the rule.

Many young birds leave the nest before they are ready to fly, and spend a few days on the ground or low branches while the parents continue to find and feed them. At this time they are especially vulnerable to predation, especially from outdoor cats (which should be terminated with extreme prejudice).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The only thing I did with birds as a kid was shoot them...starting with a Daisy bb gun. That's still pretty much my only involvement with them.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The only thing I did with birds as a kid was shoot them...starting with a Daisy bb gun. That's still pretty much my only involvement with them.
    Don't tell you CO. Migratory birds are protected by domestic laws and international treaties. Game birds are an exception, but I'll bet that's not what was in the BB gun's sights. Though it's always open season on invasive exotics (starlings, house sparrows)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think you have to eat a worm and regurgitate it into the bird's mouth.

We have robins that nest up under the roofline of our deck every year. This is indeed how they feed them. That's downright appealing compared to the way they keep the nest clean though. As soon as the little ones eat, the parent goes around behind them and sucks the poop out of their butts, then flies away and spits it out. Good luck Doc! :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We have robins that nest up under the roofline of our deck every year. This is indeed how they feed them. That's downright appealing compared to the way they keep the nest clean though. As soon as the little ones eat, the parent goes around behind them and sucks the poop out of their butts, then flies away and spits it out. Good luck Doc! :):
    They don't always spit it out. Some species eat it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If the cat food doesn't kill him (seriously? Cat food?), and he DOES have a broken bone, do him a favor and step on his head. Veterinary practice at the highest levels still often fails at getting bones to heal in animals that refuse to stay still and have relatively little pain response.

But keep in mind that they are fledging, and stray cats need to eat too.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Feed it some little red worms and make sure it gets enough water and it'll be fine. It's probably old enough to make it.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I appreciate your tastes in speakers.

We had a Robin build a nest on a privacy fence post about 6 years ago and we mounted a camera. My kids thought it was fun for about 3 minutes.

Top Bottom