• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Gratuitous application of tennis racket will successfully relocate the problem to your neighbors yard.

I must have a twisted sense of humour. I involuntarily chuckled.

This is how badminton was invented... True story.

Oh I thought it was funnier than hell but thought I'd look at it from the perspective of a LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ TERF SJW and see how it felt.

:puke:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We had a starling chick fall out of its nest last year in similar fashion. Parent birds were raising holy hell every time the dogs got near it. I finally figured out what was going on and put it back from whence it came and all was well for a day or two. Came home from work one afternoon, no parent birds, no baby birds but there was a couple of sprays of feathers on the ground under the home tree. When I asked the puppies if they knew anything about it the guilty looks on two of them told me everything I needed to know!:laugh:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Don't tell you CO. Migratory birds are protected by domestic laws and international treaties. Game birds are an exception, but I'll bet that's not what was in the BB gun's sights. Though it's always open season on invasive exotics (starlings, house sparrows)

Well, the guns I use now shoot a lot more bb's and the birds are game.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If the conservation thugs see you touched a bird they may SWAT you. After the possible loss of human life they will then euthanize the bird in order to protect it of coarse.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If the conservation thugs see you touched a bird they may SWAT you. After the possible loss of human life they will then euthanize the bird in order to protect it of coarse.

"What are you, maggot? That's right you're a lean, mean HoosierDoc hunting machine!"

dnr-law-1.jpg

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Yes I am sure. Vultures are the exception that proves the rule.

They aren't the exception. It is thought that many birds do not have a good sense of smell but science has not been able to make hat determination. Song birds have olfactory senses, just not as many as humans so it is thought that birds cannot smell as well as we can.

It was also thought that birds were dumb because their brains are much smaller than humans. But now it is understood that bird brains are different than mammals and are much more dense. They have many more neurons in the same volume of space. Maybe they aren't as smart but maybe they are far more smart than thought. \

And perhaps that dense brain doesn't require as many olfactory senses to produce a good sense of smell as our brains do.

Nobody knows at this point.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They aren't the exception. It is thought that many birds do not have a good sense of smell but science has not been able to make hat determination. Song birds have olfactory senses, just not as many as humans so it is thought that birds cannot smell as well as we can.

It was also thought that birds were dumb because their brains are much smaller than humans. But now it is understood that bird brains are different than mammals and are much more dense. They have many more neurons in the same volume of space. Maybe they aren't as smart but maybe they are far more smart than thought. \

And perhaps that dense brain doesn't require as many olfactory senses to produce a good sense of smell as our brains do.

So being called "dense" is no longer a bad thing?:dunno::laugh:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Still smarter than most people I’ve met from the left.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We had a starling chick fall out of its nest last year in similar fashion. Parent birds were raising holy hell every time the dogs got near it. I finally figured out what was going on and put it back from whence it came and all was well for a day or two. Came home from work one afternoon, no parent birds, no baby birds but there was a couple of sprays of feathers on the ground under the home tree. When I asked the puppies if they knew anything about it the guilty looks on two of them told me everything I needed to know!:laugh:

Good Doggies!

Starlings are evil poop factories visited on us from England because they lost the war.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

Well, that's damning with faint praise. Our sense of smell compared to most other animals is notoriously bad. Birds being worse than us puts them pretty low down on the scale. Also depends highly on the individual species. Kiwis who hunt worms at night have keener olfactory senses than most birds. The consensus of most studies is "birds have olfactory genes and equipment, but no one knows if or how they use them." So the last statement is the most accurate. No one knows. I will go by my 40+ years of professionally interacting with wildlife and say that for the most part bird's sense of smell is even less important and useful to them than ours is to us.

Top Bottom